Challenge of the day

Related:
Create New Tag

2/17/2018 11:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2018 11:29 AM

Hey y'all, before I completely screw these up I'll put it out to the experienced. The hex heads are a bit rounded, and my craftsmen t handle aint much better. What's the best way to get these out? Heat, new hex wrench, both? Please lend me some knowledge. Thx y'all in advance...SKPhoto

Photo

|

2/17/2018 11:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2018 11:51 AM

Cut a slot in them and then use an impact screwdriver to remove them. Then replace the screws with new ones and then use the correct virgin (new) mm wrench to install them.

Paw Paw

|

2/17/2018 1:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2018 1:30 PM

Here on the farm I cut that alen wrench off with a chop saw, then try the bolt. It gives the wrench new square shoulders. Also hit the screw head with a hammer. It mushrooms the head to tighten it up and loosens the threads also.

|

2/17/2018 2:31 PM

You can also hammer in a torx bit slightly larger than the Allen for a better bite, before trying the cutting a slot method

|

2/17/2018 2:41 PM

Worst case scenario, if the others’ advice fails, drill them out. Use a bit larger than the hex by a couple sizes, then CAREFULLY drill. You want to only drill far enough to be able to pop the head off. Go slowly and keep checking so that you don’t drill into the frame.

That said, Paw Paw’s trick will likely get you taken care of.

|

2/17/2018 4:33 PM

lots of good methods mentioned above. ive had luck as a last case scenario, getting a sharp chisel and hammer to break it loose.

|

2/18/2018 1:38 AM

Kevin_Reed wrote:

Here on the farm I cut that alen wrench off with a chop saw, then try the bolt. It gives the wrench new square shoulders. Also hit the screw head with a hammer. It mushrooms the head to tighten it up and loosens the threads also.

I'm not the OP, but this advise worked perfect for my issue....and took only ten minutes. Thanks Kevin.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

2/24/2018 10:27 AM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Cut a slot in them and then use an impact screwdriver to remove them. Then replace the screws with new ones and then use the correct virgin (new) mm wrench to install them.

Paw Paw

Success! Thank you sir.
Photo

|