Carbon fiber parts

ecmx274
So I have seen the kits that come with everything to make molds and the carbon parts themselves. They seam great for making small parts. I’m wondering what goes into making something like a clutch cover. I use clutch cover as an example because it has a gasket surface and holds oil. I get there has to be testing and stuff like that. I more asking how are they made? Is it the same process make a mold then layer you fibers and resin on? I’m aware of the other methods of applying resin I think one was vacuum bagging and there was another vacuum method as well. Is that how it’s done or is there another method I haven’t came across on google yet?
|
ecmx274
5/11/2020 2:27pm
Excuse me if I use the wrong words or terms I know nothing about carbon except what I learned in about 30mins of google searching.
AJ565
5/11/2020 3:23pm
There is a lot more to it then you think. For a clutch cover you'l have to use like a 3k plane weave or a 2x2 weave for the outer side that you'd see and then built up thickness with something like 200oz. I'd think you'd need 2-3 layers of that to get the thickness and strength. You can vacuum bag that. You can also make a top and bottom mold and do a wet lay up and press them together.

This is how I started learning to do carbon. They go real in depth with their videos. I think this series would best relate to a clutch cover.
https://youtu.be/UgKvDw1E60E
ecmx274
5/11/2020 3:43pm
AJ565 wrote:
There is a lot more to it then you think. For a clutch cover you'l have to use like a 3k plane weave or a 2x2...
There is a lot more to it then you think. For a clutch cover you'l have to use like a 3k plane weave or a 2x2 weave for the outer side that you'd see and then built up thickness with something like 200oz. I'd think you'd need 2-3 layers of that to get the thickness and strength. You can vacuum bag that. You can also make a top and bottom mold and do a wet lay up and press them together.

This is how I started learning to do carbon. They go real in depth with their videos. I think this series would best relate to a clutch cover.
https://youtu.be/UgKvDw1E60E
Thank you. I figured there was a lot to it. So it’s all done by hand? No machines involved?
AJ565
5/12/2020 6:21am
ecmx274 wrote:
Thank you. I figured there was a lot to it. So it’s all done by hand? No machines involved?
For one off stuff and small product runs, yes all done by hand. Once you get into large volume then there are faster cheaper ways of doing it, but the machines cost a ton so the volume is needed to pay off the machines.

The Shop

spimx
5/12/2020 6:44am
Also interested, bump

Post a reply to: Carbon fiber parts

The Latest