Update: Can these YZ250 Cases be Saved?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/26/2017 8:58 AM

03 yz250 cases. Can these be fixed or no? Bought this bike used and have been pretty disappointed thus far. How anyone could sell this with a clear conscience is beyond me.
Should I just buy new/used ones and scrap these? Anyone have cases for sale??

These first 3 pics are the ignition side. Here's what I found after I scraped off the massive glob of JB Weld.
Also there seems to be a small crack that can be felt by scraping a dental pick across. After removing the
crank bearing, the crack doesn't seem to extend into the bearing surface.

Photo
Photo
Photo

Clutch side...

Photo
Photo

|

9/26/2017 9:02 AM

If you knew a good welder you could probably fix the crankcase cracks, but I dont think theres any saving the hole by the clutch actuator. Well..you probably could but it wouldn't be sano..

|

9/26/2017 9:10 AM

I'd buy new cases, not worth trying to fix.
Plus side to new cases, you don't have to clean them or worry if they were repaired properly.

|

9/26/2017 9:18 AM

One time I JB welded a penny over a hole that looked identical to the one on your clutch actuation arm on my 04 YZ250, I was in a real pinch, but I don't recommend it.

If there is any hope of fixing them, call http://trickeng.com/

|

9/26/2017 9:56 AM

"How anyone could sell this with a clear conscience is beyond me. "

Used dirt bike sales and the above just don't seem to work together.

Paw Paw
|

9/26/2017 10:13 AM

Paw Paw wrote: "How anyone could sell this with a clear conscience is beyond me. "

Used dirt bike sales and the above just don't seem to work together.

Paw Paw

Yeah I'm inclined to agree with you. Really grinds my gears....

|

9/26/2017 6:04 PM

Markopolo400 wrote:

One time I JB welded a penny over a hole that looked identical to the one on your clutch actuation arm on my 04 YZ250, I was in a real pinch, but I don't recommend it.

If there is any hope of fixing them, call http://trickeng.com/

Trick Eng x2

|

9/26/2017 6:19 PM

Buy new cases...by the time you get that case welded and remachined you'd be able to buy a new (or at least decent used) set of cases

|

Many thanks to everyone helping me out this GNCC season: SRT Offroad, Acerbis, FCR Suspension, O'Neal Racing, Evans Waterless Coolants, Rekluse, Twin Air, Braking Brakes, Carbsport

Profile image credit Ken Hill Photography

9/26/2017 6:51 PM

I had a rock in the actuator and got it welded ok, but the center crack is too much...

|

9/26/2017 7:35 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

I had a rock in the actuator and got it welded ok, but the center crack is too much...

Agreed

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

12/18/2017 3:19 PM

Update: Decided to try and save these cases instead of buy new ones. Couldn't really find any used ones that looked good either.

Had a local guy weld up the cracks and the giant hole near the sprocket.

While I had the cases apart I decided to get them hard anodized as well. Had a few other parts anodized as well.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Clutch cover got Cerakoted as well.

Photo

Photo

|

12/19/2017 4:40 AM

I hope they hold up for you. Nice looking motor

|