Can fit 3 bikes in pickup bed --- need to add 1 more bike --- suggested options?

Rider 5280
Edited Date/Time 7/5/2021 3:09pm
Hi Guys,

Figured I'd ping the VitalMX brain trust on this simple problem that I am sure many of you have encountered.

A group of 4 guys from work want to ride, we've got 4 bikes and 1 pickup truck that's set up to easily carry 3 bikes.

I just need to carry 1 more bike ... thoughts on best options?

Here's what comes to mind ...

(1) Rent a UHaul trailer for the day (~$30)

(2) Get a bike carrier like this that I could run with the tailgate down:
https://www.discountramps.com/double-motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-600-2/

(3) Get a quality fold-up motorcycle trailer ... spendy, but amazing?

*** I AM PARTIAL TO OPTION #2, ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE DOUBLE RAIL CARRIER? ***

Any other ideas, suggestions, other?

|
Sachmo831
6/23/2021 5:08am
In my opinion a single bike hitch rack is sketchy enough, let alone 2 bikes. And it's aluminum!? Not a chance I'd trust that past the driveway. Why not just drive 2 trucks?
UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1679th
6/23/2021 5:48am
Look for a used Holsclaw trailer. Can be bought cheap, tilts, has shocks and springs for a nice ride. Vintage cool factor off the charts.

kb228
6/23/2021 6:09am
Uhaul trailer. Its a one off trip. If its a regular thing just get a simple 6x8 trailer off facebook.

The Shop

Karlsrad
6/23/2021 3:54pm
https://readyramp.com/ One of the best purchases I’ve made for motos. I can 3 bikes easily with this ramp, and a 4th if I had too. it’s turns into a tailgate extender.
Rider 5280
6/24/2021 8:54am
GREAT input here guys - MUCH APPRECIATED!

I'm looking into all options w/ an open mind. A combination of your suggestions is likely the hot ticket ---> And I'll start with the UHaul as my go-to and see how frequent a challenge this actually is.

It's a weird situation where I am bringing guys from work riding who are new and the onus largely falls on me to provide everything (bikes, gear, etc.). Not complaining at all, I created the situation on purpose, but I haven't figured all elements out.
Owen H
6/24/2021 9:06am
I had great luck with my VersaHaul
Kenny Lingus
6/24/2021 11:53am
Frontwards, backwards, frontwards, backwards if you have a way to properly secure the backwards bikes. Taking footpegs off is quick and will help make room. Another way is all forward but put a bike stand in front of the wheel on every other to stagger them back. Just watch where the bikes could contact each other. You can do some real damage on even a short haul.
Kenny Lingus
6/24/2021 11:56am
Karlsrad wrote:
https://readyramp.com/ One of the best purchases I’ve made for motos. I can 3 bikes easily with this ramp, and a 4th if I had too. it’s...
https://readyramp.com/ One of the best purchases I’ve made for motos. I can 3 bikes easily with this ramp, and a 4th if I had too. it’s turns into a tailgate extender.
I have one too. Love it, great purchase. Little pricey but high quality.
Rider 5280
6/24/2021 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 6/24/2021 12:25pm
Karlsrad wrote:
https://readyramp.com/ One of the best purchases I’ve made for motos. I can 3 bikes easily with this ramp, and a 4th if I had too. it’s...
When you guys refer to this making it posible to carry a 4th bike if you have to, what do you mean specifically?

I can get 3 bikes in the truck bed comfortably, and I have an AMP bed extender, but I am missing how this ramp helps that. But that's part of the reason I asked the question --- I need schooling here! :-)
ConnorD11
6/24/2021 1:05pm
The problem I've had with putting 4 bikes in one truck bed is that the foot pegs and bars hit each other if they aren't staggered. So, a bed extender makes it possible to push the bikes that are facing backward (or forward) more room to be staggered (along with security for throwing gear bags between the cracks of the bikes). I have used hitch haulers, I did lose a bike off of one on the bumpy dirt road out of a trail head once. It's key to pull a huge amount of tension down on the foot peg/ seat area so the rear wheel doesn't hop out of the track and you also have to pull the forks down hard so the forks don't unload on a big bump and come out of the track. It is definitely possible to do it, especially if you have a full sized truck.
Kenny Lingus
6/24/2021 3:30pm
Karlsrad wrote:
Rider 5280 wrote:
When you guys refer to this making it posible to carry a 4th bike if you have to, what do you mean specifically? I can get...
When you guys refer to this making it posible to carry a 4th bike if you have to, what do you mean specifically?

I can get 3 bikes in the truck bed comfortably, and I have an AMP bed extender, but I am missing how this ramp helps that. But that's part of the reason I asked the question --- I need schooling here! :-)
It's a ramp that can also be used as a bed extender. Benefit is you don't need a separate ramp, which saves space. You don't necessarily need it to allow a fourth just saves space by doing two jobs.
captmoto
6/24/2021 9:58pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
GREAT input here guys - [b]MUCH APPRECIATED![/b] I'm looking into all options w/ an open mind. A combination of your suggestions is likely the hot ticket...
GREAT input here guys - MUCH APPRECIATED!

I'm looking into all options w/ an open mind. A combination of your suggestions is likely the hot ticket ---> And I'll start with the UHaul as my go-to and see how frequent a challenge this actually is.

It's a weird situation where I am bringing guys from work riding who are new and the onus largely falls on me to provide everything (bikes, gear, etc.). Not complaining at all, I created the situation on purpose, but I haven't figured all elements out.
And not one of them has a truck? Does one have a car that can handle a hitch hauler? Are you supplying the bikes?
Rider 5280
6/24/2021 10:41pm
I am supplying the bikes, yes.

The deal is we talk a lot of business when we drive, so I was trying to pull this off with my Tundra dual cab and the team in 1 vehicle.

I ended up just getting a 1 day Uhaul trailer rental to see how 4 bike/4 riders/1 truck works.

yz133rider
6/28/2021 8:27am
I have a dual hitch carrier and use it on the back of my suv.

My buddy has a pickup with an 8ft bed so the bikes fit with the bed closed.

We slid the hitch carrier onto his truck and put two bikes in the bed and 2 bikes on the carrier. All the gear, tents, fuel cans, coolers, etc with the 2 bikes in the bed and 4 ppl in the truck.

8 foot bed and that hitch carrier was a cool set up to handle 4 ppl and 4 bikes. Was bad ass to be able to have everyone together and save fuel for the long trip.
Rider 5280
6/28/2021 9:29am
yz133rider wrote:
I have a dual hitch carrier and use it on the back of my suv. My buddy has a pickup with an 8ft bed so the...
I have a dual hitch carrier and use it on the back of my suv.

My buddy has a pickup with an 8ft bed so the bikes fit with the bed closed.

We slid the hitch carrier onto his truck and put two bikes in the bed and 2 bikes on the carrier. All the gear, tents, fuel cans, coolers, etc with the 2 bikes in the bed and 4 ppl in the truck.

8 foot bed and that hitch carrier was a cool set up to handle 4 ppl and 4 bikes. Was bad ass to be able to have everyone together and save fuel for the long trip.
Awesome to hear!

What dual hitch carrier did you use?
yz133rider
6/28/2021 11:19am Edited Date/Time 6/28/2021 11:22am
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254241232784?hash=item3b31f55790:g:~dsAAOSwuaV…

I bought this one. It’s all steel, heavy as hell but is very sturdy and considering you’re hanging two bikes off the rear it’s necessary to me.

It’s adjustable too as far as the spacing for each rack from the vehicle and then from the other bike.

So you can get it as close to the truck without it hitting and keep it tight for leverage reasons.
I added nylon lock nuts to the hitch bracket they supply to keep it from wobbling. I used the nylon nuts as a way to keep the bolts from backing out.

It’s a cool set up if bring many bikes is a normal thing or using an suv.
Rider 5280
6/28/2021 11:59am
yz133rider wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254241232784?hash=item3b31f55790:g:~dsAAOSwuaVc5uLZ I bought this one. It’s all steel, heavy as hell but is very sturdy and considering you’re hanging two bikes off the rear it’s necessary...

I bought this one. It’s all steel, heavy as hell but is very sturdy and considering you’re hanging two bikes off the rear it’s necessary to me.

It’s adjustable too as far as the spacing for each rack from the vehicle and then from the other bike.

So you can get it as close to the truck without it hitting and keep it tight for leverage reasons.
I added nylon lock nuts to the hitch bracket they supply to keep it from wobbling. I used the nylon nuts as a way to keep the bolts from backing out.

Super appreciated ---- looking into now!
yz133rider
6/28/2021 12:06pm
yz133rider wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254241232784?hash=item3b31f55790:g:~dsAAOSwuaVc5uLZ I bought this one. It’s all steel, heavy as hell but is very sturdy and considering you’re hanging two bikes off the rear it’s necessary...

Rider 5280 wrote:
Super appreciated ---- looking into now!
How long is your bed? Can you get two bikes in there with the tailgate shut? If so it might be the ticket for you.
Rider 5280
6/28/2021 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2021 1:14pm
I have the standard 6-ft bed (2006 Tundra) and can get 3 bikes in w/ gate down, 2 in with tailgate shut.

This looks perfect for (3 bikes in bed + 1 on carrier) OR (2 bikes in bed + 2 on carrier) OR (2 bikes on carrier and a TON of stuff in the bed).

I don't have room for a trailer in my garage and the Home Owner's Association is suuuuper strict about nothing outside your house (no garbage cans or even a dead plant), so it seems to leave this option.
yz133rider
6/28/2021 1:59pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
I have the standard 6-ft bed (2006 Tundra) and can get 3 bikes in w/ gate down, 2 in with tailgate shut. This looks perfect for...
I have the standard 6-ft bed (2006 Tundra) and can get 3 bikes in w/ gate down, 2 in with tailgate shut.

This looks perfect for (3 bikes in bed + 1 on carrier) OR (2 bikes in bed + 2 on carrier) OR (2 bikes on carrier and a TON of stuff in the bed).

I don't have room for a trailer in my garage and the Home Owner's Association is suuuuper strict about nothing outside your house (no garbage cans or even a dead plant), so it seems to leave this option.
Some tips for using the rack is to use the fork braces on the front end to strap down onto makes the front end much less wobbly. The ktm triangle/fork brace combos are pretty slick.

And also on the rear wheel I was using a strap around the wheel and around the rack to stop it from jumping off of the “shelf”. Have evolved to using very stiff bungees wrapped tightly around.

Also save the lightest bikes for the rack and of those two lightest bikes, put the heavier on the front position.

It’s a lot of weight hanging off the truck and makes sense to try to minimize the leverage as much as possible.
Rider 5280
6/28/2021 2:20pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
I have the standard 6-ft bed (2006 Tundra) and can get 3 bikes in w/ gate down, 2 in with tailgate shut. This looks perfect for...

yz133rider wrote:
Some tips for using the rack is to use the fork braces on the front end to strap down onto makes the front end much less...
Some tips for using the rack is to use the fork braces on the front end to strap down onto makes the front end much less wobbly. The ktm triangle/fork brace combos are pretty slick.

And also on the rear wheel I was using a strap around the wheel and around the rack to stop it from jumping off of the “shelf”. Have evolved to using very stiff bungees wrapped tightly around.

Also save the lightest bikes for the rack and of those two lightest bikes, put the heavier on the front position.

It’s a lot of weight hanging off the truck and makes sense to try to minimize the leverage as much as possible.
SUPER tips, thanks guys!
6/28/2021 2:33pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
Hi Guys, Figured I'd ping the VitalMX brain trust on this simple problem that I am sure many of you have encountered. A group of 4...
Hi Guys,

Figured I'd ping the VitalMX brain trust on this simple problem that I am sure many of you have encountered.

A group of 4 guys from work want to ride, we've got 4 bikes and 1 pickup truck that's set up to easily carry 3 bikes.

I just need to carry 1 more bike ... thoughts on best options?

Here's what comes to mind ...

(1) Rent a UHaul trailer for the day (~$30)

(2) Get a bike carrier like this that I could run with the tailgate down:
https://www.discountramps.com/double-motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-600-2/

(3) Get a quality fold-up motorcycle trailer ... spendy, but amazing?

*** I AM PARTIAL TO OPTION #2, ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE DOUBLE RAIL CARRIER? ***

Any other ideas, suggestions, other?

I have that ramp and have used it for years, hauling 1 bike and 2 bike combinations. While the platforms the bikes sit on are aluminum the strength comes for the steel bar running from front to back which is about 60 pounds. I used it on a half ton suburban when I first got it and it squatted the rear pretty good but now I put it behind a 1 ton 15 passenger van and it’s perfect. If you can get two bikes in the bed with the gate shut as you have mentioned then this double ramp will haul the other two just fine and you’ll be set. Like mentioned you want to strap them down good. I run 4 straps per bike, two from the bars down, and the other two from the frame/ swing arm down. When finished the straps are basically in a “V” format keeping the bike from going forward or backwards.
7/2/2021 10:06am
I've taken the front wheels and fenders off two bikes and loaded them into my van when I had a wall in a short van. Probably would give you a lot of room in a pickup bed. Just a little inconvenience, but doesn't cost anything but time.
casper
7/2/2021 1:27pm
If you're going to go the duel hauler route, I would recommend a Joe Hauler. It's pricey, but it's definitely well built. I was able to find one on Craigslist for cheaper and sold it for what I got it for a couple of years later.

https://www.joehauler.com/doublehaulers/doublehaulers.shtml

The best feature of the Joe Hauler is that the bike rails are raised above the trailer hitch height. The rail with the bolt in the end is what goes into the hitch. You can see that this allows the bikes to mounted higher and the low rail of the hauler is also shorter. With the second bike so far out, and having bikes in the bed, the back of a straight mounted hauler will sit low. I had to rescue a broken bike and dragged mine across some boulders and it held up fine. It's heavy and well built. The guy I bought mine from added the 2 metal straps between to rails to hold 5-gallon gas jugs. It also had a nice aluminum ramp that bolted to the front of the hauler.

Another great feature is that it has an integrated cam lock system to keep the hauler tight in the hitch and not move around. There's a bolt at the back the connects to the cam lock, you put the hauler in the hitch, lift it up to take out the slack, tighten the bolt, and the hauler is rock solid. I've even put my 400+ pound street bike on it.

This is the best duel hauler I've owned, only sold it because I got a truck. The downside is the price, it's heavy and can be a handful to mount, and you need a place to store it.

I think this is your best bet to haul 4 bikes. Renting the U-haul is a good solution but can get old having to pick up and drop off(I used to do this to). This is my friend's straight rail duel hauler with 4 bikes. You can see how low it sits in the back. You can mount 3 in the bed and 1 on the hauler or 2 and 2 and still have room for gear bags.

ElliotB16
7/2/2021 5:29pm
Get a trailer. With 4 bikes you won’t have any room left for anything else. Hard to beat an enclosed trailer
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
7/5/2021 3:09pm
We used to put 4 big bikes and a 60 in a ranger. Fun times racing with my dad and his buddies 😂

Post a reply to: Can fit 3 bikes in pickup bed --- need to add 1 more bike --- suggested options?

The Latest