Calling Paw Paw - Kawi 450

Related:
Create New Tag

8/5/2018 8:23 PM

Tonight I was finishing up a motor for a guy on a 2006 Kawasaki KX450 and as I was torquing the head studs, one of them pulled the threads out.
I was at only 20 ft-lbs when this happened.
As of right now, IMO, I have three options.
1- Helicoil. Obviously the easiest and cheapest fix, but I’m not a huge fan a helicoils in this situation.
2- Timesert. I absolutely love them, but the kit is expensive as I do not have any of this size, nor do I have any at work.
3- when the customer dropped off the bike, he brought me a complete spare bottom end in case I ran into issues. The only down fall is I would have to tear it all back down and swap the new crank and all the new main and transmission bearings. That’s if I could get them all out without damaging them and needing new ones.

What’s your opinion? Thank you in advance!!
Ian Hendry

|

8/5/2018 9:07 PM

Just curious, why aren't you a fan of helicoils?

|

8/6/2018 1:28 AM

Helicoils or even ez-lok inserts should work. I havent seen those holes in my kx450 since january but i believe theres a good amount of material there.

I think the correct way to do it is use the other set of cases to get the guy riding sooner. Weld up the stripped hole and drill/tap.

|

8/6/2018 7:02 AM

MX690 wrote:

Just curious, why aren't you a fan of helicoils?

I personally have never had a Healy coil fail. 44 foot pounds of torque is quite a bit, and in my opinion, a Heli coil is just a cheap fix for a bolt as important as a head stud. But you can’t argue the cost.

|

8/6/2018 7:04 AM

Does anyone know if the cases are a matched set? I could just use the left side case off of the other bottom end and it would save me some time.

|

8/6/2018 7:25 AM

ianhendry946 wrote:

Does anyone know if the cases are a matched set? I could just use the left side case off of the other bottom end and it would ...more

Kawis are matched

|

8/6/2018 8:46 AM

Replacing the cases is the best way to fix this. Anything else is just a patch.

Paw Paw

|

8/6/2018 8:09 PM

Well I pulled the other set of cases out of the box tonight and guess what? The exact same thing has happened to that set of cases in the past. Someone used a heli coil in it.

|

8/7/2018 1:32 AM

ianhendry946 wrote:

Well I pulled the other set of cases out of the box tonight and guess what? The exact same thing has happened to that set of ...more

Im not shocked at all. Every time i go to put those bolts in im paranoid its going to strip out. Having steel threads there is best with that kind of torque in soft aluminum.

|