CRF450rx Sag and suspension setting

mxmaniac
G'day crew, wondered if anyone has any feedback on settings and sag? Things you have tried and improved or made worse. Mine is a 17 model, I think 18 potentially the same?
I am interested to hear peoples experiences with stock stuff prior to a revolve etc.
I am intermediate level and around 170 pounds
|
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
5/18/2020 11:26am
mxmaniac wrote:
G'day crew, wondered if anyone has any feedback on settings and sag? Things you have tried and improved or made worse. Mine is a 17 model...
G'day crew, wondered if anyone has any feedback on settings and sag? Things you have tried and improved or made worse. Mine is a 17 model, I think 18 potentially the same?
I am interested to hear peoples experiences with stock stuff prior to a revolve etc.
You are right at the top of the weight range it's set up for stock. I was 228lbs when I got my '18 450RX, and I had to get it resprung and revalved. I was clank bottoming everywhere...both ends were too soft even with the compression damping all the way slow. These bikes like the race sag set to 105-108mm, with the forks in the stock position (If you don't set the sag correctly, you'll never get the bike to handle correctly). If you're any kind of fast, You may want to increase the amount of oil in the forks...this will reduce bottoming significantly. Also, I found that the oil level was not the same in both fork legs from the factory....it's supposed to be.

So set the sag as I mentioned, and verify the correct amount of oil is in both fork legs as a starting point.
mxmaniac
5/19/2020 1:19am
mxmaniac wrote:
G'day crew, wondered if anyone has any feedback on settings and sag? Things you have tried and improved or made worse. Mine is a 17 model...
You are right at the top of the weight range it's set up for stock. I was 228lbs when I got my '18 450RX, and I...
You are right at the top of the weight range it's set up for stock. I was 228lbs when I got my '18 450RX, and I had to get it resprung and revalved. I was clank bottoming everywhere...both ends were too soft even with the compression damping all the way slow. These bikes like the race sag set to 105-108mm, with the forks in the stock position (If you don't set the sag correctly, you'll never get the bike to handle correctly). If you're any kind of fast, You may want to increase the amount of oil in the forks...this will reduce bottoming significantly. Also, I found that the oil level was not the same in both fork legs from the factory....it's supposed to be.

So set the sag as I mentioned, and verify the correct amount of oil is in both fork legs as a starting point.
Thanks a million mate, I really appreciate the feedback. Did you run the stock clutch? add a Flywheel weight?
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
5/19/2020 6:31pm
mxmaniac wrote:
Thanks a million mate, I really appreciate the feedback. Did you run the stock clutch? add a Flywheel weight?
No trouble at all. I raced the stock clutch for two seasons. I just installed a Rekluse Torquedrive Manual...I like it, but I haven't raced it yet. Also, I have an ASV clutch perch and lever on it. This lets me put the clutch lever right where I want it, and changes the leverage ration a bit, making the pull somewhat easier. I did eliminate the judder spring and went to a full steel and friction plate instead. I also added a flywheel weight to it. Thing about the flywheel weight on these bikes is that it's a permanent installation. If you want to do away with it, you must purchase a new flywheel. If you want more inertia, you could go with a steel clutch basket. Rekluse and a few others make them.

Post a reply to: CRF450rx Sag and suspension setting

The Latest