CRF450r -- Keefer Tip

Related:
Create New Tag

3/5/2020 8:27 AM

For those of you who didnt listen. On Keefer's podcast this week he talked about shaving the cross member where the rear shock mounts. He says he put a bevel on the sharp edge and it free'd up the frame a bit. He did warn not to attempt this if your a shade tree mechanic.

And as a shade tree mechanic I was curious what your thoughts are as this is the only place I've ever heard this.

|

3/5/2020 12:59 PM

I bet if you drew a line across a chassis member with a sharpie marker, Keefer would be able to tell that it was stiffer than without the line, and that it frees up the rear shock.

|

Billy Wight
Luxon MX
@LuxonMX
https://luxonmx.com
Precision Engineered Motocross Components

3/6/2020 7:33 AM

Now that was funny^^

|

3/6/2020 7:39 AM

Is it just me, or does the idea of grinding material from key stress areas of a motorcycle frame sound like a really bad idea?

This whole flex thing is getting beyond ridiculous. Hondas cracked linkage mounts in 2017, yams broke the welds in the steering tube and ktm are notorious for broken frames, yet people want to potentially make frames more likely to fail?

|

3/6/2020 8:49 AM

I run my rad shroud bolts at 4.5 in/lb instead of 5.5 in/lb. Soooooo much better serious flex and traction Bros! Able to squeeze the bike with my knees much better.

|

Powerband in every gear !

3/6/2020 12:47 PM

FGR01 wrote:

I run my rad shroud bolts at 4.5 in/lb instead of 5.5 in/lb. Soooooo much better serious flex and traction Bros! Able to squeeze the bike with my knees much better.

You need to remove the intake boot clamp on the throttle body to free up the rear of the bike. She'll handle like a cat on carpet.

|

3/6/2020 12:50 PM

I can't ride a new bike until I shave some ribs out of the radiator guards, too rigid!

|

3/6/2020 2:57 PM

Jardo wrote:

For those of you who didnt listen. On Keefer's podcast this week he talked about shaving the cross member where the rear shock mounts. He says he put a bevel on the sharp edge and it free'd up the frame a bit. He did warn not to attempt this if your a shade tree mechanic.

And as a shade tree mechanic I was curious what your thoughts are as this is the only place I've ever heard this.

Which podcast?

|

3/6/2020 4:04 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Which podcast?

Keefer Tested #168 -- He talks about the XPR and Racetech stuff he does to his Honda.

|

3/6/2020 5:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/6/2020 5:55 PM

If you don’t mind me asking what level rider are you ? The reason I ask is as an int. vet mx level rider myself I couldn’t tell a difference between the 18 & 20 chassis. The 19-20 chassis was redesigned to have more rigidity to the back half of the frame.
I know some riders are more sensitive to feel than others, but in my case I can’t tell.
My thoughts are unless you’re a fast pro more than likely you won’t be able to tell a difference on the mod. to the chassis.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

3/6/2020 5:31 PM

H4L wrote:

If you don’t mind me asking what level rider are you ? The reason I ask is as an int. vet mx level rider myself I couldn’t tell a difference between the 18 & 20 chassis. The 19-20 chassis was redesigned to have more rigidity to the back half of the frame.
I know some riders are more sensitive to feel than others, but in my case I can’t tell.
My thoughts are unless you’re a fast pro more than likely you won’t be able to tell a difference on the mod. to the chassis.

Marketing. From mounts to employment as a tester.
People trying to justify an income
Just remember that guy in crap gear on a roached bike who’s one of the fastest out on track.

|

3/6/2020 5:50 PM

Chris99Flannery wrote:

Marketing. From mounts to employment as a tester.
People trying to justify an income
Just remember that guy in crap gear on a roached bike who’s one of the fastest out on track.

Yup. I’ve ran into those dudes in my lifetime at the track a time or 2..

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

3/8/2020 9:14 PM

I guess everyone has their own degree of feel. I rode a 2017 CRF450 for a year or so. Between mid exhaust bolt removal, engine hanger mounts, different torque settings and machining a couple bolts, I was able to get comfortable and ride the bike without as much soreness. We are all different.

|