CRF450 Black residue near weep hole/ Mechanical seal

Related:
Create New Tag

4/26/2021 3:19 PM

Raced two classes this weekend and noticed this while washing the bike today. Bike has plenty of coolant and the high was 65 degrees this weekend, so I have a hard time believing it over heated. Bad water pump seal? Bike has 166 hours. Bone stock.

Photo
Photo

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

4/26/2021 3:47 PM

Good chance that is trans oil leaking past the seal...if it were me, I would replace the seals behind the impeller, ( I think there are two stacked on top of each other), AND replace the shaft if possible.
This is bc even with new seals, the old shaft could have a very small groove in the shaft from the old seals. New seals may last a ride but then it leaks again,,,post results- J

|

4/26/2021 5:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2021 5:41 PM

Yeah I'm sure it's the mechanical seal, god do I hate these things. I've replaced them on my last two bikes. Major pain in the ass. Why does Honda use this design? At least this one lasted 166 hours. Ordering parts tonight. I don't usually do the shaft but I think I'm gonna replace it this time even though it's 40 more dollars.

|

4/26/2021 5:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2021 5:55 PM

The shaft is key to replace in my experience (meaning I didn't and paid the price).

While you're in there, if upgrading your water pump to a Boyesen setup/other was on the bucket list, now's a good time to git 'er done.

|

4/27/2021 2:37 AM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

Yeah I'm sure it's the mechanical seal, god do I hate these things. I've replaced them on my last two bikes. Major pain in the ...more

It is the safest bet, cheaper than a new motor!! GL- J

|

4/27/2021 10:06 AM

Why doesn't anybody have a good tutorial video for replacing this on the newer bikes? All the videos on YouTube are of the older carbureted bikes. This mechanical seal is 2009 and up if I'm not mistaken.

|

4/28/2021 7:30 AM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

Why doesn't anybody have a good tutorial video for replacing this on the newer bikes? All the videos on YouTube are of the ...more

Not to be a smart ass here, but here is another question for you to consider.
Why would you not have a service manual? It's your bike, your investment and you should invest in it. The cost of the manual is less than the cost of doing this repair on your bike.

Paw Paw

|

4/30/2021 6:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/30/2021 6:54 PM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

Why doesn't anybody have a good tutorial video for replacing this on the newer bikes? All the videos on YouTube are of the ...more

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Not to be a smart ass here, but here is another question for you to consider.
Why would you not have a service manual? It's ...more

I do have a service manual, it shows the process decently but a nice detailed video like the stuff Rocky Mountain posts to their YouTube would be even better. This mechanical seal has to be pressed in perfect or it will leak and you’re out another $50

|

5/6/2021 10:59 AM

Replaced the oil seal and bearing behind the mechanical seal. All new gaskets and crush washers. The shaft looked fine and I didn’t see a reason to mess with the mechanical seal since it was never leaking water. But I ordered one and have it if I need it. Filled the bike with Fresh Honda coolant and maxima pro plus. I’ve ran the bike and got it to operating temp three times and nothing has leaked out of the weep hole so far. Riding Sunday.

|

5/7/2021 12:52 PM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

Replaced the oil seal and bearing behind the mechanical seal. All new gaskets and crush washers. The shaft looked fine and I ...more

How difficult was it to replace in the end?

|

5/7/2021 9:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2021 12:41 PM

So after starting the bike and getting up to operating temp 4-5 times over the past couple days with zero issues, I got done working on another bike in my garage and noticed a puddle of coolant under mine. Start it up and it’s leaking coolant like crazy out of the weep hole. I Must have damaged it when driving in the bearing and oil seal. Anyways I’m glad I ordered the seal and have it. Gonna try to install it tomorrow. If I mess it up again I’m out $40 and can’t ride sunday. Would be nice to have a good tutorial video but none exist. Photo

|

5/7/2021 9:46 PM

All disassembled, cleaned and ready for the new parts to go in tomorrow morning. There was a bunch of oil dried up oil behind the mechanical seal. Wish me luck guys. Monday is my birthday and my only wish is to ride on Sunday.

Photo.

|

5/8/2021 9:00 AM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

All disassembled, cleaned and ready for the new parts to go in tomorrow morning. There was a bunch of oil dried up oil behind ...more

Good luck and be certain you press it in square and to the correct depth. I did mine in my CRF450RX, and no trouble after that

|

Many thanks to everyone helping me out this GNCC season: SRT Offroad, Acerbis, FCR Suspension, O'Neal Racing, Evans Waterless Coolants, Rekluse, Twin Air, Braking Brakes, Carbsport

Profile image credit Ken Hill Photography

5/8/2021 9:51 AM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

All disassembled, cleaned and ready for the new parts to go in tomorrow morning. There was a bunch of oil dried up oil behind ...more

harescrambled wrote:

Good luck and be certain you press it in square and to the correct depth. I did mine in my CRF450RX, and no trouble after that ...more

👍🏻

|

5/10/2021 10:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2021 10:51 AM

Well fortunately I was able to ride yesterday but it did leak a little out of the weep hole. I swear the shaft has to be pressed onto the seal just right or it doesn’t work. So frustrating. If it doesn’t work this next time I might take it to a shop as I’ve already wasted about $50 in parts, oil and coolant doing this.

|

5/10/2021 4:55 PM

Partzilla has the 32x35 attachment tool for $33, this is the part of the tool that changed from the 13-16 bike. Luckily the installer collars stayed the same. Gonna order that and hopefully I can get this bastard pressed in perfect.

Here's the link for the 32 x 35 attachment tool Part # 07746-0010100
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/07746-0010100

|

5/10/2021 8:56 PM

Tore it apart tonight to check everything out. Threw the installer collars on and Looks like the seal was nowhere near pressed in where it needed to be. I’m actually suprised it didn’t leak more yesterday. Buttoned everything back up, warmed the bike up, Cruised around the block. Let it cool down and did the same thing. Seems good so far.....

|

5/11/2021 1:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2021 2:44 PM

So I pressed it in a little better this time and it’s still leaking a few drops at a time. Not sure if I should try it at the track to see if it stops or tear it apart for the third time and replace it. I’m so damn frustrated at this point and don’t know what to do. Can someone please tell me how they got it in there right? Obviously I’m missing something. Only thing I haven't tried is a new shaft but no shops around here have it in stock

|

5/11/2021 4:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2021 4:07 PM

Sorry to maybe ask a stupid question but just checking you're greasing each seal before you press it in? As jbone said near the start new shaft may be required

|

5/11/2021 6:00 PM

GaryC1 wrote:

Sorry to maybe ask a stupid question but just checking you're greasing each seal before you press it in? As jbone said near ...more

I applied some grease to the case before I pressed in the oil seal and bearing. But the manual doesn't say you need to grease the mechanical seal.

|

6/3/2021 10:24 AM

So if anyone cares I finally ended up getting it in right. Two rides and weep hole is completely dry. I finally bit the bullet and replaced the shaft. Was that the issue? I really have no idea. The old shaft had these little grooves on it. Apparently the part of the installer tool that sits below the case on the shaft/bearing changed for 2017. So I put a washer on top of the tool to make it flush and used an attatchment from the bearing installer kit from Harbor freight to press the top of the installer collars in. wish I would’ve taken some pictures and video but I just assumed I was gonna mess it up again so I didn’t bother. If you already have this apart just do the freaking shaft....

|

6/5/2021 2:11 PM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

So if anyone cares I finally ended up getting it in right. Two rides and weep hole is completely dry. I finally bit the bullet ...more

I forgot to mention, I did replace the shaft in mine when I did it. The Honda service manual says it's required, so I did. Like I said...got it to the correct depth, and no issues since

|

Many thanks to everyone helping me out this GNCC season: SRT Offroad, Acerbis, FCR Suspension, O'Neal Racing, Evans Waterless Coolants, Rekluse, Twin Air, Braking Brakes, Carbsport

Profile image credit Ken Hill Photography