CR250 02 Engine woes

Edited Date/Time 5/24/2019 6:56pm
This rebuild is causing me some sleepless nights.. Everything I touch appears to be either frozen solid and if I do manage to get things apart it's constant bad news..

Cylinder

Was attempting to remove the cylinder head studs in readyness for re-plating and despite hours of heating/cooling/lubricating the studs are proving a nightmare/impossible to remove. Managed to get one out and then broke two! Is removal of the broken studs possible? Any advice on getting out the three that are left? There's a firm in the UK who say they may be able to do it but I'm thinking I may be throwing my money away..

Took the power valves out and took a look inside the exhaust ports - looks like the valves have basically chewed away at the bottom of the port where they seat;

Is this normal/serviceable?

I'm getting to the point where I'm actually considering a new OEM jug assy but guess what - I can only find them in the States and with the import duty they're big money. If any kindhearted chap in the US fancies buying one locally (I'll pay) and sending it over via post so that I can avoid the duty there's defo a few beers in it for you!

Thought I'd get something easy out of the way whilst getting over my depression on the cylinder and whip the flywheel/stator off. The nut simply won't move. I've lubed it up and basically had 14 stone on the end of an 18" breaker and it just wont budge. Any ideas?

I know you gotta have the lows to know the highs but man this thing is killing me.

Si
|
sandman768
5/21/2019 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/21/2019 4:31pm
Be patient, sometimes you get a beat down in the shop, makes the good days more worthwhile...broken studs are common on older bikes, does the plater offer stud removal? Hit that flywheel nut with an impact gun... come right off, I use.a battery powered impact gun, works great....
adam8781
5/22/2019 10:58pm
find an 03 cylinder, the 02 had power valve sealing issues and a poor design. depending what you can find any 03-07 cylinder will fit, but depending which way you go with it you might require the same year pipe/piston/head to match
5/23/2019 12:44am
Thanks for the posts.

I'll grab an impact gun and give the flywheel nut another go!

On the cylinder front I've found an 04 cylinder with power valves used in the UK. I appreciate I'd have to find an 04 head and rebuild with 04 piston etc but do you know if the 02 intake/exhaust is compatible? Used parts are hard to come by in the UK and we have little to no OEM stocks here so the last thing I would want is to get into trying to get hold of a load of other bits (let alone the expense!)

Looks like the rebuild project is going to take a lot longer than I anticipated and cost somewhat more but it should be worth it.

Si
H4L
5/24/2019 5:38am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2019 5:41am
SimonGreen wrote:
Thanks for the posts. I'll grab an impact gun and give the flywheel nut another go! On the cylinder front I've found an 04 cylinder with...
Thanks for the posts.

I'll grab an impact gun and give the flywheel nut another go!

On the cylinder front I've found an 04 cylinder with power valves used in the UK. I appreciate I'd have to find an 04 head and rebuild with 04 piston etc but do you know if the 02 intake/exhaust is compatible? Used parts are hard to come by in the UK and we have little to no OEM stocks here so the last thing I would want is to get into trying to get hold of a load of other bits (let alone the expense!)

Looks like the rebuild project is going to take a lot longer than I anticipated and cost somewhat more but it should be worth it.

Si
Intake & exhaust are compatible. Just run the 02 exhaust flange on the 04 cyl. & you should be good.

The Shop

omalley
5/24/2019 6:55pm
I sheared two before I gave up. Sent it to millennium for re-plating. They removed the sheared ones and the others I gave up on. Nominal fee beyond the plating.
5/27/2019 11:16am
omalley wrote:
I sheared two before I gave up. Sent it to millennium for re-plating. They removed the sheared ones and the others I gave up on. Nominal...
I sheared two before I gave up. Sent it to millennium for re-plating. They removed the sheared ones and the others I gave up on. Nominal fee beyond the plating.
Thanks again all.

Spoken to Langcourts who can remove the studs for me for a little extra so going in the post to them shortly.

One thing ticked off the list..

Post a reply to: CR250 02 Engine woes

The Latest