CR125 suspension upgrade, revalve oem or revalve 2009 crf?

td104
Im sending my 06 cr125 suspension to be setup for me and i have 2 choices. i can send the original stuff or i have 2009 crf250r forks and shock i can send. I know the twin chamber stuff is a good upgrade if available, but read the preferred years are 06/07. 2008 forks supposably had a valving change that made it quite harsh and the 09 wasn't much different. Is it still an upgrade worth using? i already own the forks.
also does anybody know where i can find the stroke length of the crf rear shock, searching leads me to the 2008 being the same eye to eye length and 1mm difference in stroke and i don't find anything suggesting it changed in 2009. If anybody has travelled this road help would be appreciated. the shock is in a lot better condition than mine, at some point i think the lower bearing was not pressed in centre and its worn the clevis a fair bit.
I'm not very fast, ride mx tracks but don't race, and nearly 95kg/210 lb in gear.
Thanks in advance for any help people are willing to share.
|
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
8/4/2017 9:11am
Decent info here for stock settings on each year/model http://www.tech-care.com/honda.html

I went from stock forks to a set of revalved twin chambers off a 450 and they were clearly better. I think i was worth the upgrade but I didn't switch the shock before I sold the 125.
slipdog
8/4/2017 9:59am
The '08-'09 47mm Showa forks can be fixed easily by a competent tuner. Settings change every year slightly, but it was the new mid valve comp design that hurt performance. If you remove the check plate backed by a '79 Maico shock spring design and put it back to a traditional tapered style shim stack with reasonable float gap, they will work beautifully.
8/4/2017 1:05pm
slipdog wrote:
The '08-'09 47mm Showa forks can be fixed easily by a competent tuner. Settings change every year slightly, but it was the new mid valve comp...
The '08-'09 47mm Showa forks can be fixed easily by a competent tuner. Settings change every year slightly, but it was the new mid valve comp design that hurt performance. If you remove the check plate backed by a '79 Maico shock spring design and put it back to a traditional tapered style shim stack with reasonable float gap, they will work beautifully.
Can you put that in English? Who's this Slipdog anyway?
td104
8/4/2017 4:22pm
thanks,
ill go on the forks then.
what about the shock,seems plenty of people are doing it and its in a lot better shape than mine. if i drop the springs and measure eye lengths compressed and free it should confirm the smoke difference yes? and also compare clevis lengths?

The Shop

slipdog
8/5/2017 8:23pm
td104 wrote:
thanks, ill go on the forks then. what about the shock,seems plenty of people are doing it and its in a lot better shape than mine...
thanks,
ill go on the forks then.
what about the shock,seems plenty of people are doing it and its in a lot better shape than mine. if i drop the springs and measure eye lengths compressed and free it should confirm the smoke difference yes? and also compare clevis lengths?
I did recently service a set of '08 250f suspension that was fitted to an '03 CR 125 and it was a direct bolt on. I guess it was possible that the clevis was changed, but everything looked normal internally so I would "assume" you would have no problems.

Post a reply to: CR125 suspension upgrade, revalve oem or revalve 2009 crf?

The Latest