Burnt deposits on head

Daniel816
Edited Date/Time 5/20/2018 6:02pm
Hey guys, got a Ranger 900 that got hot. So hot it melted the oil cap and I have a deposit of charred oil and oil cap in the head. Was able to but the big chunks out but need a way to clean the rest up. Any tips without sourcing the job out? The picture is everything melted on a head bolt.
|
5/20/2018 5:35pm
If it’s plastic melted, try a torch to burn it off in a well-ventilated area, then hit it with a wire wheel to get the rest.

You could also try blasting it with glass bead media to clean the whole thing up.
Daniel816
5/20/2018 5:49pm
I torched and scraped out what I could, pulled all the valves so its down to a bare head and valve guides. Guess I’ll start looking for a blasting cabinet!
5/20/2018 6:02pm
Daniel816 wrote:
I torched and scraped out what I could, pulled all the valves so its down to a bare head and valve guides. Guess I’ll start looking...
I torched and scraped out what I could, pulled all the valves so its down to a bare head and valve guides. Guess I’ll start looking for a blasting cabinet!
You could possibly try some sort of oven cleaner. Something that will melt nearly everything off that isn’t metal.
Daniel816
5/20/2018 9:12pm
Daniel816 wrote:
I torched and scraped out what I could, pulled all the valves so its down to a bare head and valve guides. Guess I’ll start looking...
You could possibly try some sort of oven cleaner. Something that will melt nearly everything off that isn’t metal.
Awesome I’ll try that, thanks!

Post a reply to: Burnt deposits on head

The Latest