Broken chain, leaking countershaft seal.

4One7
Fantasy
2732nd
5/26/2019 1:25pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2019 3:07pm
Had an issue with the clip style master link coming off my chain, chain let go, took out/mauled the case saver and got jammed against the case. In the process of inspecting it I found some oil running down the inside of the case. At first I thought the chain had got the case and that the case was gone, however when I got it all apart it appears the countershaft seal was leaking/weeping oil. Approximately 5 hours (run time) prior I had the countershaft sprocket off and took the inner protector off and cleaned it all up as I noticed an accumulation of grease/lube/oil. I thought that was just the chain lube and dirt build up and didn't think much of it. I did not have a look after putting it all back together to take note if the seal was leaking at that time prior to the chain breaking.

Looking for someone's experience/insite that can suggest I'm having one of two possible issues.

The seal was gone prior to or is unaffected by the chain breaking.
Or the chain breaking has somehow damaged the countershaft or inner bearing and that has caused the seal to leak.

Any help/suggestion us appreciated.

|
Paw Paw 271
5/26/2019 1:30pm
Just replace he seal, the collar and the inner seal of the collar..

Paw Paw
4One7
Fantasy
2732nd
5/26/2019 3:01pm
Just replace he seal, the collar and the inner seal of the collar..

Paw Paw
Thanks Paw Paw. I will get that all replaced. Am I overly paranoid now with a clip style master link failing or should I look into a rivit style master link as this is a common problem? I've never had a clip style failure before.
Premix
5/26/2019 3:07pm
4One7 wrote:
Thanks Paw Paw. I will get that all replaced. Am I overly paranoid now with a clip style master link failing or should I look into...
Thanks Paw Paw. I will get that all replaced. Am I overly paranoid now with a clip style master link failing or should I look into a rivit style master link as this is a common problem? I've never had a clip style failure before.
Silicone your master link clip and you’ll never have that issue again
Premix
5/26/2019 3:15pm
4One7 wrote:
Thanks Paw Paw. I will get that all replaced. Am I overly paranoid now with a clip style master link failing or should I look into...
Silicone your master link clip and you’ll never have that issue again

The Shop

5/26/2019 5:15pm
Inspect the bearing carefully. This is a customer's engine after the same thing happened

Post a reply to: Broken chain, leaking countershaft seal.

The Latest