Brakes. 21 crf

Meister
Looking for input.

Improved my brakes over stock by using motul rbf and cm46 pads.

Looking at doing braided lines both on ends OR an oversized front.

Thoughts?
|
willbilly
1/14/2022 5:55pm
Motosport usually has a two for one on Galfer steel braided lines in the spring. They will get rid of any mushy feel. Oversized rotor gives much better modulation.
Meister
1/14/2022 6:02pm
Would I still reap the benefits of an oversized rotor while still using stock lines?
mxb2
1/14/2022 7:08pm
Meister wrote:
Would I still reap the benefits of an oversized rotor while still using stock lines?
Motostuff oversize front rotor, their braided line. Thank me later.Smile
Rider 5280
1/14/2022 10:05pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2022 10:18pm
The 270 and 280mm Motostuff rotors are a nice (I have Galfer as well, but Motostuff is better IMO). I have both setups for different bikes and like them.

That said, a stainless steel brake line is a heckuva an improvement alone in my experience, so that's where I'd start. My favorite is Core Moto brand. Website:
https://www.coremoto.com/category_s/7770.htm
I have Galfer and Core Moto lines and prefer the latter (I think Motostuff's lines are made by Core Moto).

Since your model/year CRF has an awesome, relatively new differential piston caliper design (27mm leading edge, 30mm rear), you should be set there + the Nissin master cylinder is top notch, too. I wouldn't dabble with the Ride Engineering V2 or the Motostuff V2 calipers for this reason.

Lastly, the ARC Powerlever brake lever with different leverage ratios doesn't get enough discussion in my opinion. It's amazeballs and will let you fine tune your lever feel. Really nice product.

The Shop

Meister
1/15/2022 9:49pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
The 270 and 280mm Motostuff rotors are a nice (I have Galfer as well, but Motostuff is better IMO). I have both setups for different bikes...
The 270 and 280mm Motostuff rotors are a nice (I have Galfer as well, but Motostuff is better IMO). I have both setups for different bikes and like them.

That said, a stainless steel brake line is a heckuva an improvement alone in my experience, so that's where I'd start. My favorite is Core Moto brand. Website:
I have Galfer and Core Moto lines and prefer the latter (I think Motostuff's lines are made by Core Moto).

Since your model/year CRF has an awesome, relatively new differential piston caliper design (27mm leading edge, 30mm rear), you should be set there + the Nissin master cylinder is top notch, too. I wouldn't dabble with the Ride Engineering V2 or the Motostuff V2 calipers for this reason.

Lastly, the ARC Powerlever brake lever with different leverage ratios doesn't get enough discussion in my opinion. It's amazeballs and will let you fine tune your lever feel. Really nice product.

I've poked through some of your braking reports. Almost just messaged you lol..

I'm not complaining about my brakes, but my curiosity has me wondering if I'd benefit from any of the above. I ordered front and rear lines today. If I don't feel anything from that change, maybe I'll do the 280. I don't think I'll ever spring for the fancy master cylinders tho lol.. I'm of the variety where if I'm spending money not out of necessity, I'm only going to if it's a sure benefit. For instance, triple clamps are sick, but I haven't heard someone who's not being paid tell me they feel a very positive difference..
Rider 5280
1/16/2022 9:21am
Rider 5280 wrote:
The 270 and 280mm Motostuff rotors are a nice (I have Galfer as well, but Motostuff is better IMO). I have both setups for different bikes...

Meister wrote:
I've poked through some of your braking reports. Almost just messaged you lol.. I'm not complaining about my brakes, but my curiosity has me wondering if...
I've poked through some of your braking reports. Almost just messaged you lol..

I'm not complaining about my brakes, but my curiosity has me wondering if I'd benefit from any of the above. I ordered front and rear lines today. If I don't feel anything from that change, maybe I'll do the 280. I don't think I'll ever spring for the fancy master cylinders tho lol.. I'm of the variety where if I'm spending money not out of necessity, I'm only going to if it's a sure benefit. For instance, triple clamps are sick, but I haven't heard someone who's not being paid tell me they feel a very positive difference..
Looking forward to your ride report!

I am sure you'll notice a difference and what you think of that will steer you to your next experiment, if any.
willbilly
1/16/2022 4:50pm
Meister wrote:
Yes but not as much as braided steel line.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/17/2022 6:50am
Comparing a line to a bigger rotor, my opinion, it's not that one is better or a "bigger" benefit. They each do a different thing. On Japanese bikes with non-steel lines, you'll notice a braided line because the feel is more immediate and touchy. A bigger rotor will not have an immediately noticeable increase in sensitivity but will be subtly stronger and easier to modulate. I typically put on bigger rotors and use stock lines because I'm not a guy that wants a super touchy front brake but I do like it being stronger and easier to modulate.
Meister
1/17/2022 6:36pm
FGR01 wrote:
Comparing a line to a bigger rotor, my opinion, it's not that one is better or a "bigger" benefit. They each do a different thing. On...
Comparing a line to a bigger rotor, my opinion, it's not that one is better or a "bigger" benefit. They each do a different thing. On Japanese bikes with non-steel lines, you'll notice a braided line because the feel is more immediate and touchy. A bigger rotor will not have an immediately noticeable increase in sensitivity but will be subtly stronger and easier to modulate. I typically put on bigger rotors and use stock lines because I'm not a guy that wants a super touchy front brake but I do like it being stronger and easier to modulate.
Dang. That's a different perspective... I hope when I install these lines in don't find myself busting loose everywhere..
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
1/18/2022 5:24pm
FGR01 wrote:
Comparing a line to a bigger rotor, my opinion, it's not that one is better or a "bigger" benefit. They each do a different thing. On...
In my opinion, it depends on the system...on the last bike I had a oversize rotor on, I also had a braided line. It had a nice progressive initial feel, but could send you over the bars with 1 finger if you wanted to.
Meister
1/20/2022 5:58pm
A braided Galfer line that is bled correctly will help tremendously
What is your preferred method of bleeding?
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/21/2022 7:07am
Meister wrote:
If you plan to be around dirt bikes for more than a minute, do yourself a huge favor and buy one of these. It will save you so many headaches bleeding brakes and clutches.

https://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac-vacuum-pump-39522.html

1/21/2022 8:57am
Meister wrote:
I use a vacuum bleeder that plugs into my compressor. Thing works tits
Meister
1/21/2022 11:43am
Copy that.

I've only been bleeding brake lines the old school way for 26 years... Lol
Rickyisms
1/21/2022 1:03pm
Reverse bleed with a syringe is my easy way of doing it on a cheap ass budget.

Post a reply to: Brakes. 21 crf

The Latest