Brake tapping and stalling the engine

Andy7
Fantasy
1312th
Hello guys, as the title suggests, I cannot brake tap mid-air because it causes my bike to stall. I have a KX450F and have ridden a YZ 250, and on the Yamaha I can do it perfectly without any problems. The real issue is I cannot have the amount of free play at the lever that the manual asks for and have the clutch set up correctly so it doesn´t stall at the same time. I am worried reducing the amount of slack will burn my clutch, but I´m pretty sure I would feel it is slipping before burning it completely. Suggestions?
|
3/18/2019 12:09pm
Either the clutch plates are warped or the basket and/or inner hub are grooved. The fibers are not separating properly from the plates. When the basket or hub is grooved, the plates can't slight easily and get hung up, sometimes not allowing the clutch to fully engage.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
3/18/2019 10:42pm
Pull the clutch in further to not stall. Try the Works connection lever. Might have a better feel then stock?
Andy7
Fantasy
1312th
3/19/2019 3:58am
Thanks guys, I am sure it is not a problem related to clutch wear, I replaced the basket, inner hub, pressure plate, fibers, steel plates and springs 4 hs ago. Maybe the Hinson springs gave the clutch this "weird" feel? It isn't stiff, it just feels imprecise

The Shop

Wesley_Cox_32
3/20/2019 9:03am
I like keeping my body position forward on the take off and it keeps the bike a little more nose down. If something goes wrong on the face and I have a boner air and need a love tap, I pull the clutch in and tap it. All I'm saying is that it might be easier to fix in technique than swapping parts.
Andy7
Fantasy
1312th
3/20/2019 11:34am
I am running the Zeta levers. I just don't do it on every jump, but when I need it is not nice not being sure if your bike will stall or not. And yes I do pull the clutch in, but sometimes it doesn't fully engage. I have ridden other bikes and they didn't have this problem. Thanks anyway guys.
Joko
Fantasy
190th
3/20/2019 3:32pm
Will a Rekluse clutch prevent mid-air stalling without pulling the clutch lever in?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
3/20/2019 10:49pm
Andy7 wrote:
I am running the Zeta levers. I just don't do it on every jump, but when I need it is not nice not being sure if...
I am running the Zeta levers. I just don't do it on every jump, but when I need it is not nice not being sure if your bike will stall or not. And yes I do pull the clutch in, but sometimes it doesn't fully engage. I have ridden other bikes and they didn't have this problem. Thanks anyway guys.
The zeta lever could have a weird pull. I’ve had this with ARC levers on my KTM so I switched back to stock. Worth a try.
Andy7
Fantasy
1312th
3/21/2019 6:01am
Joko wrote:
Will a Rekluse clutch prevent mid-air stalling without pulling the clutch lever in?
If it is set up correctly, it will. I have used an EXP 3.0.
3/22/2019 7:31am
Joko wrote:
In theory it will not, mine stalled during a mid air brake tap twice when it was correctly adjusted
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
3/22/2019 7:54am
Joko wrote:
Andy7 wrote:
If it is set up correctly, it will. I have used an EXP 3.0.
I’ve used the old Rekluse Z Start pro and the Core EXP. I was able to brake tap without the clutch on both.

Eventually had some hard times adjusting the core exp when it was under heavy load in deep ripped dirt. I transitioned back to manual Hinson clutch and learned how to pull in the lever.
kpersonius264
Fantasy
3584th
3/22/2019 8:00am
I’ve never heard of zeta levers before honestly. But like the other guy said his arc levers had a funny pull, my buddies asv levers feel awful to me. Like someone else said try your stock lever again.

Also you mentioned being pretty keen on measuring your slack to the manuals spec. When you ride the clutch heats up and you will get more and more slack and sometimes you need to adjust it in the middle of riding. Just don’t forget to put it back when the bike cools off.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
3/22/2019 1:59pm
From what I understand most aftermarket levers/perches utilize the Honda ratio, which is different than what the other mfg's use. Try going back to a stock Kawi lever/perch and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't you have a simple solution.

Post a reply to: Brake tapping and stalling the engine

The Latest