Bottom triple slight bend

ben5020
Anybody know of anyone that can successfully straighten out a bottom triple clamp? It has a slight tweak to it when put on a flat surface, would like to straighten if at all possible because I don’t feel like spending another $900 on clamps if I don’t have to
|
kb228
11/1/2018 9:02am
You can heat it up to 400-500 degreesF and bend it if its aluminum. I dont think it will be perfect. Maybe a parallel vise can help? I think finding a used set on ebay would be the most economic and safe option.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1205th
11/1/2018 11:17am
kb228 wrote:
You can heat it up to 400-500 degreesF and bend it if its aluminum. I dont think it will be perfect. Maybe a parallel vise can...
You can heat it up to 400-500 degreesF and bend it if its aluminum. I dont think it will be perfect. Maybe a parallel vise can help? I think finding a used set on ebay would be the most economic and safe option.
Heating it up and bending it is not likely to achieve the result you want and will screw up the heat treatment/aging if not properly done.

Who made the clamps, maybe they have a crash replacement plan? Getting a new one is the right thing to do here.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
11/2/2018 3:32pm
ben5020 wrote:
Anybody know of anyone that can successfully straighten out a bottom triple clamp? It has a slight tweak to it when put on a flat surface...
Anybody know of anyone that can successfully straighten out a bottom triple clamp? It has a slight tweak to it when put on a flat surface, would like to straighten if at all possible because I don’t feel like spending another $900 on clamps if I don’t have to
You have to. You'll never get it perfect, and anything you do to take the twist out will weaken the clamps. Not worth risking a catastrophic failure/death/paralysis over a set of clamps
kb228
11/2/2018 3:45pm
ben5020 wrote:
Anybody know of anyone that can successfully straighten out a bottom triple clamp? It has a slight tweak to it when put on a flat surface...
You have to. You'll never get it perfect, and anything you do to take the twist out will weaken the clamps. Not worth risking a catastrophic...
You have to. You'll never get it perfect, and anything you do to take the twist out will weaken the clamps. Not worth risking a catastrophic failure/death/paralysis over a set of clamps
X2.

Not to get all nerdy.. but once a material gets bent past the point where it bends and no longer snaps back to the original shape, its no longer as strong in the area it bent at.

The Shop

harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
11/3/2018 2:05pm
ben5020 wrote:
You have to. You'll never get it perfect, and anything you do to take the twist out will weaken the clamps. Not worth risking a catastrophic...
kb228 wrote:
X2. Not to get all nerdy.. but once a material gets bent past the point where it bends and no longer snaps back to the original...
X2.

Not to get all nerdy.. but once a material gets bent past the point where it bends and no longer snaps back to the original shape, its no longer as strong in the area it bent at.
My point exactly. once anything has bent, it's been taken past its yield point, and will never be as strong as it was originally. Also, once past the yield point, a catastrophic failure (think snapped in half, forks separate from the bike) is more likely than a gradual failure (visible cracking)

Post a reply to: Bottom triple slight bend

The Latest