Biodegradable grease

Hi there I use no toil bio oil on my filters but I need some bio grease to put round the edge of the filter for a better seal. What would people recommend? Thanks
|
wydopen
2/11/2022 4:36pm
Hi there I use no toil bio oil on my filters but I need some bio grease to put round the edge of the filter for...
Hi there I use no toil bio oil on my filters but I need some bio grease to put round the edge of the filter for a better seal. What would people recommend? Thanks
I’ve been using some since that’s all the shop had last time I needed it. I’m not really a fan. It’s too thin and unless you use a super big bead it soaks in and I don’t think it does much. it goes fast.
kb228
2/11/2022 6:23pm
In my experience no toil itself is so damn tacky it glues the filter to the airbox. Had to start buying filters with a rubber base instead of foam.
40acres
2/11/2022 9:07pm
kb228 wrote:
In my experience no toil itself is so damn tacky it glues the filter to the airbox. Had to start buying filters with a rubber base...
In my experience no toil itself is so damn tacky it glues the filter to the airbox. Had to start buying filters with a rubber base instead of foam.
I actually just ran a little additional filter oil on the base when I ran no-toil and it sealed the filter to the airbox perfectly.

The Shop

2/12/2022 1:17am
kb228 wrote:
In my experience no toil itself is so damn tacky it glues the filter to the airbox. Had to start buying filters with a rubber base...
DT1 filters are great for this. Best filters made in my opinion
FWYT
2/12/2022 11:29am
Rider 5280 wrote:
Another thought ... I stopped using rim grease and run these filter base seals now: https://pcracingusa.com/product-category/proseal/ I've really like them so far. Great seal, less mess...
Another thought ... I stopped using rim grease and run these filter base seals now:
https://pcracingusa.com/product-category/proseal/

I've really like them so far. Great seal, less mess and works with all filters.
Hmmmm! Interesting! Also a long time No Toil guy here. I guess I have heard of that product before but haven't really looked at it. Do they hold well? Like if you wash the airbox, does the gasket get blown out or it stays put?
Rider 5280
2/12/2022 12:54pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2022 9:14pm
I am not sure. I really washed my airbox out good a few years ago to get rid of all of the No Toil gunk from years of use and THEN put one of these PC Racing seals in. My airboxe stays pretty clean (I don't ride much dust anymore), so I just wipe the airbox out with a rag, never need to pressure wash. So with this cleaning approach, it's lasted very well, but that's probably not your situation.

All I can say at this point is that the PC Racing gasket seals really well and I appreciate not having the extra base-greasing step.

Unrelated:
I switched to Maxima FFT air filter oil because I got sick of the gunk that No Toil left and I couldn't just use contact cleaner to remove it (because No Toil is not petroleum based is my suspicion). I am sure I am an air filter "over oiler" and the No Toil that flowed to the bottom of the filter, into the airbox, and eventually dripped out of the airbox onto the swingarm was NASTY. This said, I never had an issue with dirt getting past No Toil air filter oil in 100s of hours of gnarly Southwest AZ sand/dust. It is a good product in my opinion, just not for me aymore, I also found that washing air filters in the wash machine was pretty destructive to filters (No Toil or someone used to recommend this, not sure if they do any more). I only ever handwash now - after damaging a handful of filters. Hope this was of value.
MKMX
2/13/2022 2:32am
In my experience the no toil grease is poor quality, it breaks down quite easily. I purchased some to try and straight off the shelf it had already broken down - another 2 tubes after that broke down before 25% of the tube was used.
wydopen
2/16/2022 4:35am
MKMX wrote:
In my experience the no toil grease is poor quality, it breaks down quite easily. I purchased some to try and straight off the shelf it...
In my experience the no toil grease is poor quality, it breaks down quite easily. I purchased some to try and straight off the shelf it had already broken down - another 2 tubes after that broke down before 25% of the tube was used.
Was hot this weekend and when I pulled my filter yesterday all the no toil grease had melted and was pooled up in the bottom of the airbox. Luckily it was a husky if it was an old 2stroke it would have ran into the air boot.
3/19/2022 4:41am
MKMX wrote:
In my experience the no toil grease is poor quality, it breaks down quite easily. I purchased some to try and straight off the shelf it...
wydopen wrote:
Was hot this weekend and when I pulled my filter yesterday all the no toil grease had melted and was pooled up in the bottom of...
Was hot this weekend and when I pulled my filter yesterday all the no toil grease had melted and was pooled up in the bottom of the airbox. Luckily it was a husky if it was an old 2stroke it would have ran into the air boot.
I've had that same problem with Maxima Waterproof grease. I use Bel-Ray Waterproof grease and it seems to hold up better in the heat.

Post a reply to: Biodegradable grease

The Latest