Bike smokes on startup?

Alec138
Have not started my bike in probably 1 1/2 weeks. CRF450R. I started it today and let it run for a few minutes and then cracked the throttle a few times and saw some “white” steam or smoke out the exhaust. I rode it around and it ran perfect and stopped smoking or steaming. Could it be since it has been cold and such a lot lately, that it would smoke/steam up? The garage is also clear so thats why i say steam....
|
kb228
1/18/2019 2:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2019 2:44pm
They do that cold. Notice your car and lawn mowers do the same thing to some extent. More noticable in cold temps as well. Wouldnt worry about it.
Alec138
1/18/2019 2:46pm
kb228 wrote:
They do that cold. Notice your car and lawn mowers do the same thing to some extent. More noticable in cold temps as well. Wouldnt worry...
They do that cold. Notice your car and lawn mowers do the same thing to some extent. More noticable in cold temps as well. Wouldnt worry about it.
Ok cool. The only thing that i forgot to add is that after it sits and warms up it stinks like a burning vacuum cleaner or popcorn. Not oil or sweet like my truck does that has a coolant leak. Any other ideas? I thought packing material burning since i repacked it based off service intervals? The bike was just serviced for this season and everything checked out so im stumped but i have not really looked into it....
ktm-5
1/19/2019 1:26am
My guess would be exhaust packing if it's pretty new and I agree with kb228 no need to worry
mxgreg85
1/19/2019 5:28am
Do yourself a favor and run your eyes along your exhaust from the cylinder back, make sure no wires/hoses/etc are too close to it to make sure the burning smell isn't anything that it is not supposed to be. It is not a bad idea to zip tie wires up and away. If something was accidentally routed incorrectly and gets burned, most often you cannot replace just the wire and that can get expensive. If that checks out and the bike runs well, I agree to not worry.

The Shop

Kyle_Miller
Fantasy
1070th
1/19/2019 10:37am
Can check a lot of critical things and put your mind at ease with a leak down test.

Post a reply to: Bike smokes on startup?

The Latest