Bike shifts on stand but not riding

6/12/2021 4:52pm
1991 rm125. Just did a complete rebuild. Every shifted fine on engine stand. Put bike all back together and shifted fine in the bike and on the stand. Then riding I can’t through the gears. Bent shift fork?
|
willbilly
6/12/2021 5:19pm
If it was shifting before the rebuild that would point to the assembly. Check the simple things like shift star and detent before you split the cases again. Did the fork tips look worn when it was apart? Any binding when the cases were put together?
6/12/2021 5:29pm
willbilly wrote:
If it was shifting before the rebuild that would point to the assembly. Check the simple things like shift star and detent before you split the...
If it was shifting before the rebuild that would point to the assembly. Check the simple things like shift star and detent before you split the cases again. Did the fork tips look worn when it was apart? Any binding when the cases were put together?
Nope all shifted fine before and after cased assembled. Forks looked ok and nothing looked over warn. Put cases together and shifted good. Put in bike and shifts good. When riding won’t shift though.
willbilly
6/12/2021 5:48pm
I assume it shifts into first but not through all of the gears. Or is the shift lever not moving at all when engine is running? Is clutch basket badly notched? Using the clutch when you’re trying to shift? Doesn’t make sense if it goes through the gears engine off and spinning rear wheel.

The Shop

6/12/2021 6:11pm
Yes shifts into first then that’s it. On the stand spinning the wheel shifts through al gears like normal. Basket was notched but couldn’t find a new one so I filed down the old. Still felt little notching but nothing insane.
6/12/2021 7:12pm
Took it for another ride. I can go first into second and then not third. On the stand, can go first into second and then second to third take a bit of playing with the rear wheel then fourth, fifth fine and all the way down to first is fine on the stand. Same story with or without clutch. Guess I’m gunna have to pull and split it again.
Factor E
6/12/2021 7:50pm
DID YOU CHANGE BEARINGS?
DID YOU TAKE RACHET ASSEMBLY APART?

CHECK ROLLER LEVER IS MOUNTED OR SEATED PROPERLY AND HITTING
ALL DETENTD OF WHEEL

Post a reply to: Bike shifts on stand but not riding

The Latest