Bike dies when applying throttle

1/4/2022 6:22pm
Hey guys! Im new here and this is my first post!

I need a little bit help with making my bike run as it should, and hope to get tips from you here for help.

I bought a Husqvarna 2009 TC 250F (4 stroke) a bit over a month a go and had it sitting in the garage until I had time for it now. The bike fires up all normal and warms up, but then when applying throttle, it dies out.
Last time I fired it up (have a video), I wanted to give it a first test drive to see if the gearbox was all good, and the bike died when applying throttle. After reading on the internet, it seems like the jets for the fuel could be clogged, as the symptoms fit the bike. Idles normal without a problem, if you rev it, it has a bog midway when revving, but when going through or revving high, it revs high and the sound is amazing.
I didnt test drive it as it was in this state when buying it, and I got it cheap. Previous owner didn't look into it as he got this as a part payment/trade on something he sold.

The thing is, jet were supposed to be cleaned 8 hours ago according to the previous guy again who rode it. Then the bike stood for 1 year before he sold it. It also leaks fuel through some hose/fuel line that exit in the rear. I have 5 hoses in the back which is weird? Is this normal? Here's a picture

https://scontent.ftrd1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/269997008_645782333…

I can take better pictures if you want, but are these 5 really supposed to hang in the rear? I also noticed that a TE model on a video on youtube had a small tank on the side of the engine. Kind of a compression tank for the fuel, but my bike doesn't have this? Is the bike missing vacuum effect for the fuel? This is my first bike that I own, and got it really cheap. Around 1400 dollars when I convert it from local currency (Norwegian), and these bikes have a market value of 2300 here in Norway when running in good shape. Also Im a big car guy, have worked at a race track for 5+ years, raced and done a lot of stuff with cars, but Im falling in love with bikes and bought my first dirt bike. So I'm a bit new and retarded when it comes to wrenching on bikes. Anyone who can help? Would help immense to get it running now so I can test it out, and go nuts with buying riding gear now at January sale.

Here's a video of the bike idling and warming up. After it died after this video, I haven't been able to fire it up again. Ignition looks clean and ok.

https://youtube.com/shorts/hxBXQMdGg9w?feature=share
|
Rickyisms
1/4/2022 9:14pm
Sounds like your carb needs a good thorough cleaning. Easy job! Tons of videos on YouTube and doesn’t require anything fancy tools.

Your bogging problem is a clogged pilot jet, you can usually just run a piece of safety wire through the jet once removed from the carb. Just hold up it up to the light to look through. Overflowing problem is most likely caused by your needle or seat being gunked up from ethanol.

My $0.02 is run ethanol free fuel if you can, if unavailable after you’re done riding for the day turn the petcock off and let the bike idle until it’s out of fuel. I always lean it on its side for around 30 seconds as well after this to make sure all the fuel comes out of the overflow tubes.
1/5/2022 8:27am
Rickyisms wrote:
Sounds like your carb needs a good thorough cleaning. Easy job! Tons of videos on YouTube and doesn’t require anything fancy tools. Your bogging problem is...
Sounds like your carb needs a good thorough cleaning. Easy job! Tons of videos on YouTube and doesn’t require anything fancy tools.

Your bogging problem is a clogged pilot jet, you can usually just run a piece of safety wire through the jet once removed from the carb. Just hold up it up to the light to look through. Overflowing problem is most likely caused by your needle or seat being gunked up from ethanol.

My $0.02 is run ethanol free fuel if you can, if unavailable after you’re done riding for the day turn the petcock off and let the bike idle until it’s out of fuel. I always lean it on its side for around 30 seconds as well after this to make sure all the fuel comes out of the overflow tubes.
hey Rickyisms, thanks for the reply! I will try to do it this weekend then as Im eager to start riding. How often does one have to inspect/clean the carb? I've never had a bike before, so Im new to this.
1/5/2022 10:24am
I’d agree the bike sitting for a year is a good indicator of the carb being a good place to start. My wife’s KLX 140 sits for long periods so I have to clean that dang carb almost every time she rides it.
1/5/2022 11:34am
I’d agree the bike sitting for a year is a good indicator of the carb being a good place to start. My wife’s KLX 140 sits...
I’d agree the bike sitting for a year is a good indicator of the carb being a good place to start. My wife’s KLX 140 sits for long periods so I have to clean that dang carb almost every time she rides it.
I'll watch carb cleaning videos on youtube for 2 days straight now, before I do it myself this weekend and hopefully get it to work. The bike runs very nice on idle so Im hoping its not going to be a lot of fixing on this.

Thanks for the help guys. Im really new to this and very excited. My first bike! Haha

The Shop

BRX-WRX
1/5/2022 4:13pm
If the bike starts and idles with chock off then the pilot jet is not the main problem. Sounds more like the accelerator diaphragm may be bad and or the leak jet plugged and or the spritzer passage way plugged. If you can start bike and it idles with choke off and you can roll the throttle on slowly and it revs out but if you open throttle quickly and stalls out then it's more likely the accelerator diaphragm and or passageway. clean all the jets. (leak jet is in bottom of float bowl). Need to be able to see if accelerator is spraying when you open the throttle.
Paw Paw 271
1/5/2022 4:33pm
It can also that all that is needed is a good fuel screw adjustment.

’’Paw Paw
BRX-WRX
1/5/2022 4:45pm
It can also that all that is needed is a good fuel screw adjustment.

’’Paw Paw
This to. Count your turns as you seat/turn in fuel screw and turn back out.

Post a reply to: Bike dies when applying throttle

The Latest