Bike Cleaning For Best Results

121x
5/15/2022 3:51pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2022 5:01pm
Hey All,

I know that 'zero' touch is extremely tough to accomplish although that would be awesome. I ride a lot of soft/wet tracks so probably three quarters of the time my bikes are muddy and need to be washed. I am not a fan of leaving them dirty between rides. I have to wash 4 MX bikes every single time (kids). Talk about a pain in the ass.

Since I am lazy and need to wash so often, looking for some recommended cleaning detergents, sprays, etc. that I could ideally get away with wetting the bike, spraying with a detergent, letting it soak for a couple of minutes and then simply hosing off. Ideally something with enough bite to remove that left over mud residue that shows once the bike dries when you end up missing a spot with a scrub bush, without dulling the plastics.

I do have a 3200 PSI pressure washer (obviously I don't use that high of pressure) but even that leaves behind a residue/film if not using a cleaning agent. I use chemical guys and a foam cannon for my trucks but I do not always find that effective. Using a hose would be more convenient in many ways. The issue as we all know, is just washing the obvious dirt and mud off, once the bike dries it still does not necessarily look clean.

Really interested to hear how others are handling this. Did a search but didn't seem to find much, likely my search terms suck.

Thanks guys.
|
mxb2
5/15/2022 4:04pm
Simple green, sc1. And have the kids help. Win win
5/15/2022 4:13pm
Don’t use simple green it’s to harsh, I don’t think anything is going to get mud off except a power washer. I use SHOUT seems to work pretty good. Seat off, air box cover on, shout and scrub a bit, green 3m pad on aluminum frame, sc1 new bike in a can to finish
yz133rider
5/15/2022 4:14pm
Spray off big stuff with hose. Spray entire bike down with shout mixed with water. Spray off with hose again.

No touch. Before and after.

Rickyisms
5/15/2022 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2022 5:35pm
Spray the bulk off with a decent hose attachment
Shout it out
Soft scrub brush on everything until it lathers up and then scotchbrite your desired areas.
Rinse from the top down
Air compressor to blow off excess water. Lube pivot points & chain.
I’m not big on how SC1 feels after applying, so I use the Honda spray polish. Works good enough for me.

Seat comes off every wash and scrubbed with a brush and shout until foaming. Hosed off and then sun dried so the foam stays decent.

The Shop

Dirtfighter
5/15/2022 5:40pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2022 5:44pm
Simple green , water 50/50 works better than anything and wont harm any surfaces including ano.
Rinse bike , boots , helmet . spray the mixture on them with a pump up sprayer. Let dwell for 30 seconds on gear and about 2 min on bike. Then rinse. (Water hose with good gpm will always work better than a pressure washer unless your riding on that wet moon dirt that turns to concrete.) start your bike and let idle for 1 min while you Dry the bike with a leaf blower . Spray pipe , linkage , all pivots and chain with wd40 to disperse any remaining water. Done! No touch
soggy
5/15/2022 6:09pm
Clean them real good then spray areas that mud clings to with SC1. Next ride mud should
Come off much easier.
5/15/2022 6:40pm
Scrape the under sides of fenders/skid plate where it mostly builds up when you come off the track while it’s wet, less work less mess at home
yz133rider
5/15/2022 7:23pm
Everyone suggesting simple green that shit ruins bare aluminum finishes. Shout works just as well and won’t hurt any of the machined or anodized finishes.
mxb2
5/15/2022 8:23pm
yz133rider wrote:
Everyone suggesting simple green that shit ruins bare aluminum finishes. Shout works just as well and won’t hurt any of the machined or anodized finishes.
Shout is another great option, cheaper also.
Rider 5280
5/15/2022 8:49pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2022 8:55pm
I've also experienced aluminum damage with Simple Green and some purple cleaner I can't remember the brand/name (it was a long time ago).

I've been having good luck as of late with Alco Dirt Bike and ATV Wash:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/alco-dirt-bike-and-atv-wash-p

I wet the whole bike gently at the carwash on "detergent" to get the warm water that busts through most everything, then I switch to "rinse" to get the detergent off, then I use Alco all over and a toothbrush where necessary to finish the cleaning, and finally a last rinse.

Rider 5280
5/15/2022 8:53pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
I've also experienced aluminum damage with Simple Green and some purple cleaner I can't remember the brand/name (it was a long time ago). I've been having...
I've also experienced aluminum damage with Simple Green and some purple cleaner I can't remember the brand/name (it was a long time ago).

I've been having good luck as of late with Alco Dirt Bike and ATV Wash:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/alco-dirt-bike-and-atv-wash-p

I wet the whole bike gently at the carwash on "detergent" to get the warm water that busts through most everything, then I switch to "rinse" to get the detergent off, then I use Alco all over and a toothbrush where necessary to finish the cleaning, and finally a last rinse.

sandman768
5/16/2022 8:31am
I have been using simple green for years, I use a garden hose when I can to get most of the mud/sand off, then spray simple green, wait a few mins, maybe scrub brush if needed, then rinse good… dry off with compressed air, oring safe lube on chain… I have never had an issue with the simple green on aluminum or anodized parts? I don’t let is sit on those parts very long… I don’t know, eventually all the bare aluminum & anodized parts seem to fade over time…
kijen
5/16/2022 9:41am
Another fan of shout.
5/16/2022 11:33am
yz133rider wrote:
Thx I was going to ask about that , simple green doesn’t it stain alum. I greased the linkage sun I forgot how long that takes. Be careful pressure washing there.
MX915
5/16/2022 1:45pm
yz133rider wrote:
Agreed. Shout for general cleaning and Eagle One PVD wheel cleaner (NOT mag wheel cleaner) on bare aluminum with an SOS pad.
yz133rider
5/16/2022 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2022 2:23pm
121x wrote:
Thanks guys! For Shout, is this the stuff you guys are referring to? https://www.amazon.ca/Shout-Grocery-Pack-3-8-Liter/dp/B00CM29BZ4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1UFKMG2GO2FPS&keywords=shout&qid=1652733591&s=hpc&sprefix=sho%2Chpc%2C452&sr=1-4 As for Simple Green I will give it a try depending on...
Thanks guys!

For Shout, is this the stuff you guys are referring to?

https://www.amazon.ca/Shout-Grocery-Pack-3-8-Liter/dp/B00CM29BZ4/ref=sr…

As for Simple Green I will give it a try depending on how the Shout works. Will look into the Alco Dirt Bike and ATV wash as well if its available in Canada at a reasonable cost.
Thats the stuff. Fill a spray bottle 3/4 full with water and the rest with shout.

Spray the entire bottle over the entire bike, every nook and cranny, starting with the heaviest stains so it has time to work by the time you’re through. I’ll go back to the heavier spots 2-3 times if needed before rinsing off just to use the entire bottle and make sure it all comes off the first rinse.

After that I spin the wheel a few times to fling off any water from the chain, wd40 the chain, all pivots like pegs kick starter etc, tip the bike side to side to let water run off, wipe down any areas to remove water, and I’m good to go.
Sandusky26
5/16/2022 5:09pm
I use shout mixed with dawn dish soap.
skypig
5/16/2022 6:51pm
In Australia we get stuff called CT-18 multi wash (previously CT-18 truck wash).

This stuff has changed my life.

Garden tap hose on the thick mud (good top dressing for the lawn). Spray this stuff, mixed rich with water, on with a garden sprayer. Leave for as long as possible. Even overnight. Hose off. Be happy. Or chamois for the show finish. (Won’t work like this if the bike wasn’t clean before the last ride - ie it won’t bring a neglected bike back with no effort.

Needs a brush while wet on chain if you want it looking like new. Also requires a brush on brake dust, and dried on insects if you use it on your transporter.

Might be “Shout” in the US??
FWYT
5/16/2022 10:24pm
I've always liked Mr. Clean or Shout but recently tried Muc Off. Holy crap, that stuff is great! Kinda expensive, but works really, really well.
MXer391
5/17/2022 9:41am
Remove air filter and put cover on.
Plug exhaust.
Power wash (with lowest pressure nozzle) the heavy, caked on stuff.
Spray entire bike down with Shout (Scrubbing bubbles works too),
Get beer and take a few swigs (most important step)
Rinse bike off
Hit it with the leaf blower or compressed air.
Take the seat off and lean it up against a wall or something and let the water run out of the foam.
Put clean air filter
Unplug exhaust
Fire bike up and let it run for a little bit
Lube chain and pivot points
Finish beer and get another one
121x
5/17/2022 9:56am
How long do you guys find that Shout needs to sit on the bike to work its magic before being rinsed off? I received a concentrated bottle from Amazon today. Looking forward to giving it a go in the near future.

Some other good suggestions in this thread so far as well. Thank you.
skyrebel88
5/17/2022 10:03am
I too have always used simple green and have never had any "issues" but others as mentioned above have i guess. With that said i tried purple power and it dries the crap out of my hands so i don't use that. I have read in another similar forum people using dial hand soap and liquid detergent. I plan on doing a quick cost per ounce calculation soon to see how they stack up to simple green as well as how well it cleans.

I have also read people using pam cooking spray instead of SC1 after the bike is cleaned on the areas of the bike that see dirt the most to prevent dirt sticking but also need to run a cost analysis calculation and try it myself.
DB97
5/17/2022 1:25pm
I've been using Ecstar Motorcycle wash for years, it used to be Suzuki wash. Dilute 25-50% solution and I never scrub. Hose it, spray on, spray off. Ecstar Wash
Dirtfighter
5/17/2022 7:17pm
Simple green if used properly will NEVER damage any surface. I’ve been using it for 33 years. Since my very first 1989 kx80 big wheel. The shit only comes concentrated. You can make 3 gallons out of 1. If you do that it can clean any type of dirt off your bike with a garden hose. $10 for 3 gallons of bike wash. You can’t beat that. Buy a 2 gallon pump up sprayer , fill it and make life easy. You can wash 5 or 6 times with 1fill.
Sandusky26
5/18/2022 2:28am
Simple green if used properly will NEVER damage any surface. I’ve been using it for 33 years. Since my very first 1989 kx80 big wheel. The...
Simple green if used properly will NEVER damage any surface. I’ve been using it for 33 years. Since my very first 1989 kx80 big wheel. The shit only comes concentrated. You can make 3 gallons out of 1. If you do that it can clean any type of dirt off your bike with a garden hose. $10 for 3 gallons of bike wash. You can’t beat that. Buy a 2 gallon pump up sprayer , fill it and make life easy. You can wash 5 or 6 times with 1fill.
You should look at the periodic table.
Neek
5/18/2022 3:58am Edited Date/Time 5/18/2022 4:00am
I've been using GrizzlyWash Products for a few months after years of other moto wash brands. Value for money is better compared to the other products.
Products are great and remove dirt and grease very easily, it has been designed for dirtbikes and does not corrode aluminium.

www.grizzlywashproducts.com

Don't know if it is available in the US yet.

Falcon
5/18/2022 1:48pm
DB97 wrote:
I've been using Ecstar Motorcycle wash for years, it used to be Suzuki wash. Dilute 25-50% solution and I never scrub. Hose it, spray on, spray...
I've been using Ecstar Motorcycle wash for years, it used to be Suzuki wash. Dilute 25-50% solution and I never scrub. Hose it, spray on, spray off. Ecstar Wash
Yep, this stuff is very, very good. I've had good results with it myself.

Count me as another vote for Simple Green, also. I've never had any problems with the bare aluminum.
basslips
5/18/2022 4:47pm
Simple green if used properly will NEVER damage any surface. I’ve been using it for 33 years. Since my very first 1989 kx80 big wheel. The...
Simple Green WILL etch anodizing if used improperly. Left it on to dry on accident on my Yamaha years ago. Left nice run marks down the fork tubes that never came out.
OldPro277
5/19/2022 10:57am
Even though many people recommend it, I've never been particularly impressed with the Shout deal. Recently I've tried the new Dawn Powerwash --- it foams up and seems to work better than the Shout .

Post a reply to: Bike Cleaning For Best Results

The Latest