Bib Mousses or Tubeliss?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/6/2019 8:22 PM

Can get a crazy deal on both. $65 per wheel tubliss or $40 a wheel mousses. Both are brand new. Guy bought both to try but had to sell everything bike wise. Anyways, i hear mixed reviews on both. Never had either. Always ran tubes. Not very fond of possibly destroying my wheels for the tubliss or struggling with a mousse either so i plan on having local shop install either.

Both are in 19” as well.

|

6/6/2019 8:39 PM

Seen too many Tubeliss systems fail, if I were to advise it'd be mousses all day long.

|

6/6/2019 8:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2019 8:46 PM

RockyRider wrote:

Seen too many Tubeliss systems fail, if I were to advise it'd be mousses all day long.

Thought the same. Might go with mousses. Hell if i hate em or what not im only out $80 and not $300 according to what a set goes for new online. Will i need different tires or what though? Im running a kenda washougal 2 f/r.

|

6/6/2019 9:23 PM

Mousse in the front feels like a flat almost, the bikes going to push like crazy after not much riding time... save yourself the hassle just run tubes...

|

6/7/2019 3:04 AM

Paul_Pitzonka wrote:

Mousse in the front feels like a flat almost, the bikes going to push like crazy after not much riding time... save yourself the hassle just run tubes...

Your crazy man.

|

6/7/2019 3:53 AM

Paul_Pitzonka wrote:

Tuna wrote:

Your crazy man.

That’s what they feel like to me... don’t know what else to say a lot of people love them

|

6/7/2019 10:37 AM

Paul_Pitzonka wrote:

Tuna wrote:

Your crazy man.

Paul_Pitzonka wrote:

That’s what they feel like to me... don’t know what else to say a lot of people love them

They definitely take some getting used to.

|

6/7/2019 10:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2019 11:03 AM

Mousse's are horrible to change tires with, and yes the feel is totally dead as no foam material could possibly react to changes in terrain faster than compressed air in a tube, they just hold a bead somewhat nicely, and I'd recommend 2 wheel locks to prevent spinning due to the lack of actual outward pressure that a tube supplies. Tubliss.... nice... for a bit, have to keep them spotlessly clean, and can't stress or ruin the tire's mating surfaces to the bead and inner tire, otherwise they will never seal, and dirt build up will also cause issues, so if it's ridden hard, and put away wet, they will eventually fail, and if they don't, in the long run, the tire lock is made of stainless, how stupid is that!!! High stress areas need a more resilient material, like carbon steel, something that's more reistant to bending and vibration cracks like stainless is prone to, Iv had two of them
Fail in this area, and if they don't the threads of the rim lock go all the way to the aluminum plate that grips the tire, and there is a rubber piece over the threads that is designed to protect the inner high pressure tube from making contact with threads. well that little rubber piece wears quickly, and exposes the threads to the inner high pressure tube, eventually wearing through it, flattening your inner tube, and deflating yourntire ontop of it, if your out in the bush, you can damn well expect the tire to break its bead, and now your just dealing with a loose flat tire, and more than likely a lot of rim damage on the way home. That may have been remedied, but it why I left both of these things in the garbage years ago, and just went back to tubes, cheaper, easier to replace as you litterally have to apply a tubliss kit just like a tire, irons and all, and if the inner pops pain to change.

Probably a reason why they are for sale, my apologies for being a cunt face about this, but I'd rather say my bad experiences with them, maybe possibly save some headache and butthurt down the road after forking out a ton of money for a shitty product. Im sure there are people who have good results with them, I loved the feel of the tubliss, nothing compares to the feel, and the ability To run 9psi In the rear and just track out over anything, but Iv had nothing but issues with reliability with them.

Tubes, there's a reason why they come on everything stock as even a heavy duty tube is a feather weight in comparison to a bib mousse

|

6/7/2019 11:27 AM

15tc150 wrote:

Mousse's are horrible to change tires with, and yes the feel is totally dead as no foam material could possibly react to changes in terrain faster than compressed air in a tube, they just hold a bead somewhat nicely, and I'd recommend 2 wheel locks to prevent spinning due to the lack of actual outward pressure that a tube supplies. Tubliss.... nice... for a bit, have to keep them spotlessly clean, and can't stress or ruin the tire's mating surfaces to the bead and inner tire, otherwise they will never seal, and dirt build up will also cause issues, so if it's ridden hard, and put away wet, they will eventually fail, and if they don't, in the long run, the tire lock is made of stainless, how stupid is that!!! High stress areas need a more resilient material, like carbon steel, something that's more reistant to bending and vibration cracks like stainless is prone to, Iv had two of them
Fail in this area, and if they don't the threads of the rim lock go all the way to the aluminum plate that grips the tire, and there is a rubber piece over the threads that is designed to protect the inner high pressure tube from making contact with threads. well that little rubber piece wears quickly, and exposes the threads to the inner high pressure tube, eventually wearing through it, flattening your inner tube, and deflating yourntire ontop of it, if your out in the bush, you can damn well expect the tire to break its bead, and now your just dealing with a loose flat tire, and more than likely a lot of rim damage on the way home. That may have been remedied, but it why I left both of these things in the garbage years ago, and just went back to tubes, cheaper, easier to replace as you litterally have to apply a tubliss kit just like a tire, irons and all, and if the inner pops pain to change.

Probably a reason why they are for sale, my apologies for being a cunt face about this, but I'd rather say my bad experiences with them, maybe possibly save some headache and butthurt down the road after forking out a ton of money for a shitty product. Im sure there are people who have good results with them, I loved the feel of the tubliss, nothing compares to the feel, and the ability To run 9psi In the rear and just track out over anything, but Iv had nothing but issues with reliability with them.

Tubes, there's a reason why they come on everything stock as even a heavy duty tube is a feather weight in comparison to a bib mousse

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

|

6/7/2019 12:21 PM

15tc150 wrote:

It is not horrible, take me the same time to remove or install a mousse or tube. 2-4 minutes depending on how stressed i am if i dont have to clean anything and everything is pre-lubed.

Michelin rear mousse weigh in at 1200 grams.Thats the same as a 2.5-3mm heavy duty tube.

|

6/7/2019 12:50 PM

This is what happens with tublis kits, the sides of this one I still had laying around were in great shape too, no damage, but these stupid little tubes due to the massive
Pressure inside the small tube, 120psi, that rubber just doesn't stand a chance, and drilling out your rim to fit, that sucks, cuz if you go back, now there is a big gay-ping hole to catch more dirt in. Cool idea in principal, but just not a well enough thought out design, and mousses wear out as well. Laugh all y'all's want, tubes are way better than both systems

|

6/7/2019 1:34 PM

Tubes wear out too. Everything wears out.
Nothing beats a mousse when it comes to not having a failure.

|

6/7/2019 1:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2019 1:49 PM

There ya go! Now ya get it! You understand now, why pay more for something that doesn't do a better job? and robs a ton of performance? Maybe someone should invent a foam covered tube to make the best of both worlds? reduce pinch flats and reduced weight maybe???!?!?!? THAT WOULD BE MAAAAAAAAAADNESSSSS!!!!. If ur pinching tubes constantly, are you checking your tire pressures before each ride? I'd hand out most failures to missuse, that if checked would probably would not have failed at all, cuz Iv never pinch flatted, not once, pinched with irons yes, but never riding

|

6/7/2019 2:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/7/2019 2:34 PM

I’ve run Tubliss for at least a decade now with no issues. Myself and several of my riding buddies swear by them. Never seen or heard of anything like pictured above, so I don’t think that is a common occurrence.

Drilling the hole in your rim for the Tubliss rim lock is no issue. If you decide to go back to tubes, use those holes for valve stems, get the rubber grommets that Honda puts on their valve stems at the factory (stock Honda rims have large valve stem holes) and you’re good to go.

Use tire sealant for lube when mounting a tire, and 99.9% of the issues people claim to have with Tubliss would be resolved. I’ve mounted used tires that are pretty mangled up on the sealing edges of the bead using this method with no leaks whatsoever. It’s a very simple system that works very well.

|

6/7/2019 3:10 PM

And there you have it, there are for sure instances there have been no issues, but for me, I stuck with them for quite a long time, just due to the feel of them, and being that Iv put them on two of my bikes. There is no denying it, they feel awesome, though I don't see how I could have really installed them or missused them as I kept them clean, watched the video, went over the instructions, used the metal thingy, and even to the point of brake cleaning the inter bead of the tire to try and get any dust or contaminants off, and to soften up the rubber by reactivating it a bit so it was tacky and fresh for a good seal, never over torqued anything, and always kept up on air pressures, but they kept failing, maybe terrain, as it's so rocky on the island, lots of hardback trails, and riverbeds to climb, a few good sandy places to ride, but mostly hardpack and rocky tracks. So maybe abuse jus had something to do with it, but as for feel, tubes are just best, there will always be wear and tear, coast is good, and still easier than a bib To change, not overly concerned with how long it takes, ill do a set of tires quickly enough for my liking, don't need it done in 5 minutes, bibs never stop putting pressure on your tire, and it's just more work to get them
Out. One thing for sure about the tublis way of mounting the tire is putting the rim in the in the tire, and don't pull the bead over the rim, this way, I put the tube in the tire before i put the rim in, and it gets two birds stoned at once. Spent too many monies on tublis kits, to have them fail for the price, tubes are cheap, and oe ktm and Honda tubes are super light, and usually
Run about 5000 Canadian dollu, that's probably the equivalent of like 32 cents us, lol, jk, probably like 30 bucks us a tube, sooo, and for how often I have to change them, preeeetty darn good

|

6/7/2019 4:31 PM

Just installed a Nitromousse in a 90/90 Golden 216 a few minutes ago. It was a 10 min job and it was a very tight mousse! Helps if you have a mousse changer for sure.

|

6/8/2019 3:42 AM

Mousses. Air filled tires feel better but nothing beats the confidence of never being able to get a flat. As for mounting, it's really not that hard, just takes a little bit of technique.

|