Best way to clean your motor?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/28/2019 9:34 PM

So I’m rebuilding my top end on my yz250 and I am going to take the motor out and clean it real good. It’s not bad dirty but I am just weird about motors and it really makes a bike when somebody has a nice clean motor. What’s the best way to do this? I’ve heard SOS pads, soda blasting, mag wheel polish. I soda blasted my friends motor and it left a white film. I’ve used mag wheel polish and it left and grungy dull look. I’m not splitting my cases it going to be washed whole. Also I am not going for a shiny chrome finish. Just a clean non oxidized smooth look. What are y’all opinions? I’m thinking the sos pad is my best option unless I used the mag wheel cleaner wrong. But I sprayed it on and aggravated it with a brush for about 5 min and then sprayed it off.

|

1/28/2019 9:36 PM

Wd-40 and either a purple or green scotch brite pad depending on desired finish

|

1/28/2019 9:36 PM

Paul_Pitzonka wrote:

Wd-40 and either a purple or green scotch brite pad depending on desired finish

Which one is purple for and which one is green for?

|

1/28/2019 9:37 PM

I also have a gravity fed media blaster from harbor freight that you attach to an air compressor. Never used it. Says you can use glass media in it. Have also heard that option. Idk if that thing works though. Probably a hunk

|

1/28/2019 9:41 PM

Green would be a little shinier it’s the finer of the two

|

1/28/2019 9:41 PM

Blackjack31 wrote:

I also have a gravity fed media blaster from harbor freight that you attach to an air compressor. Never used it. Says you can use glass media in it. Have also heard that option. Idk if that thing works though. Probably a hunk

If you’re not disassembling I highly recommend against any type of media blasting

|

1/28/2019 9:46 PM

Paul_Pitzonka wrote:

If you’re not disassembling I highly recommend against any type of media blasting

Ok. I’m planning to do it this weekend. I’ll try the scotch brite idea

|

1/28/2019 9:56 PM

Blackjack31 wrote:

Paul_Pitzonka wrote:

Blackjack31 wrote:

Ok. I’m planning to do it this weekend. I’ll try the scotch brite idea

Also directional cut it don’t swirl it

|

1/29/2019 4:11 AM

Vapor blasting is the best way. Dont use glass or soda. It wont look as good.

If you dont want to blast, then get out the brushes and scotch brite.

|

1/29/2019 9:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2019 9:18 AM

Blackjack31 wrote:

I blasted my entire frame with one works great. Blast it then go over it with either scotch brite or those little wore wheels even my buddy did his entire 125 engine while it’s apart I’ll snap a pic when I get to the shop here shortly

Edit: that pic sucks but it’s all i have, turned out great tho. We used the glass media they sell with the blaster (media’s expensive bro but works well)Photo

|

1/29/2019 9:20 AM

kb228 wrote:

Vapor blasting is the best way. Dont use glass or soda. It wont look as good.

If you dont want to blast, then get out the brushes and scotch brite.

We found that blasting with the glass didn’t look great like you said but it did make some parts much easier to shine up and got the job done on the frames for PC

|

1/29/2019 9:29 AM

Photo
|

1/29/2019 9:34 AM

Blasted this then polished with brown and then white compound on a cloth wheel. Photo

|

1/29/2019 11:37 AM

Blackjack31 wrote:

Paul_Pitzonka wrote:

I've soda blasted more assembled engines than I can count. It dissolves and doesn't hurt anything if done properly and all points of entry are properly sealed. Same with hubs. Gets rid of dirt and staining.

My go to is Totally Awesome and pressure was to get the grease off. The Napa Alumibrite & soda blast to bring back the aluminum & get rid of any staining. The Alumibrite will remove finish from any steel parts so be careful. Works best of applied and pressure washed off after ten seconds or so.

Vapor blasting gives an amazing finish but you aren't doing that to an assembled engine........

|

1/29/2019 11:40 AM

Filter cleaner, tooth brush and a wire brush. That's how we do it.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

1/30/2019 7:33 AM

Blackjack31 wrote:

So I’m rebuilding my top end on my yz250 and I am going to take the motor out and clean it real good. It’s not bad dirty but I am just weird about motors and it really makes a bike when somebody has a nice clean motor. What’s the best way to do this? I’ve heard SOS pads, soda blasting, mag wheel polish. I soda blasted my friends motor and it left a white film. I’ve used mag wheel polish and it left and grungy dull look. I’m not splitting my cases it going to be washed whole. Also I am not going for a shiny chrome finish. Just a clean non oxidized smooth look. What are y’all opinions? I’m thinking the sos pad is my best option unless I used the mag wheel cleaner wrong. But I sprayed it on and aggravated it with a brush for about 5 min and then sprayed it off.

I think you left the mag cleaner on too long. When I did mine I used straight purple power to degrease it, then I hit it with some of the eagle one mag wheel cleaner. I did small sections at a time. Spray and agitate for 10-20 seconds and then tune it off. If you over etch it it will turn dark. Do it a little at a time. If it’s not bright enough hit that spot again a little at a time. You can always etch more but you can never etch less.

|

1/30/2019 7:36 AM

Photo
|