Best hitch for BMW?

Sabez
What is the best hitch to put on a BMW 325i wagon? Don't need to haul a trailer just looking to haul a bike carrier.
|
kb228
9/26/2019 7:19am
if its a 2” one that can handle 500lbs it will work. Reese hitches are among the best.
Sabez
9/26/2019 7:23am
kb228 wrote:
if its a 2” one that can handle 500lbs it will work. Reese hitches are among the best.
My car can handle 1000+ lbs. I'll give them a check.
kb228
9/26/2019 8:32am
kb228 wrote:
Sabez wrote:
What i meant is the 500 is more than enough for a bike & carrier & carriers are 2”. That car isnt going to haul hardly any weight so its not like you need a hitch to haul 10,000lbs.
Sabez
9/26/2019 8:46am
kb228 wrote:
Sabez wrote:
kb228 wrote:
What i meant is the 500 is more than enough for a bike & carrier & carriers are 2”. That car isnt going to haul hardly...
What i meant is the 500 is more than enough for a bike & carrier & carriers are 2”. That car isnt going to haul hardly any weight so its not like you need a hitch to haul 10,000lbs.
I agree. I found some hitches that fit my car but it's not 2". I don't really want to buy extra sizes.

The Shop

fourfourone
9/26/2019 12:26pm
your car may be able to tow 1000 lbs but check to see what its max tongue weight is. I can almost assure you its not 1000 pounds. Tongue weight a towing compacity limits are 2 different things.

Hitch carriers require a 2 inch receiver due to the weight and the force they put on the hitch because the weight is spread out so wide.
JohnMatrix
9/26/2019 1:25pm
your car may be able to tow 1000 lbs but check to see what its max tongue weight is. I can almost assure you its not...
your car may be able to tow 1000 lbs but check to see what its max tongue weight is. I can almost assure you its not 1000 pounds. Tongue weight a towing compacity limits are 2 different things.

Hitch carriers require a 2 inch receiver due to the weight and the force they put on the hitch because the weight is spread out so wide.
Exactly, I'm willing to bet that max tongue weight for that car with a bolt on hitch is 200-300lbs max. That would not at all be safe with a bike carrier. You'd be better off pulling a small trailer which would support the majority of the weight.

A carrier mounts the bike maybe 1-2 feet out from the actual hitch, so I wouldn't use a hitch carrier unless you have a fair amount of overhead in tongue weight rating. With one bike on a hitch carrier our Touareg (around 7500lb tow rating has 600-700lb tongue rating) can feel the load no doubt. A 325 wagon would be dragging ass real bad.

Not trying to sound like a dick, just making sure you are aware of what you're getting into with using a bike carrier.
Sabez
9/26/2019 1:48pm
your car may be able to tow 1000 lbs but check to see what its max tongue weight is. I can almost assure you its not...

JohnMatrix wrote:
Exactly, I'm willing to bet that max tongue weight for that car with a bolt on hitch is 200-300lbs max. That would not at all be...
Exactly, I'm willing to bet that max tongue weight for that car with a bolt on hitch is 200-300lbs max. That would not at all be safe with a bike carrier. You'd be better off pulling a small trailer which would support the majority of the weight.

A carrier mounts the bike maybe 1-2 feet out from the actual hitch, so I wouldn't use a hitch carrier unless you have a fair amount of overhead in tongue weight rating. With one bike on a hitch carrier our Touareg (around 7500lb tow rating has 600-700lb tongue rating) can feel the load no doubt. A 325 wagon would be dragging ass real bad.

Not trying to sound like a dick, just making sure you are aware of what you're getting into with using a bike carrier.
Thanks for the insight. I don't think carrying a xr100 (155lbs) every once in a while will do much damage to my vehicle.
fourfourone
9/26/2019 3:04pm

JohnMatrix wrote:
Exactly, I'm willing to bet that max tongue weight for that car with a bolt on hitch is 200-300lbs max. That would not at all be...

Sabez wrote:
Thanks for the insight. I don't think carrying a xr100 (155lbs) every once in a while will do much damage to my vehicle.
With how low that car is and how a hitch would sit you most likely wont be able to use a bike carrier. It will end up hitting the ground.
Sabez
9/26/2019 3:16pm
JohnMatrix wrote:

Sabez wrote:
With how low that car is and how a hitch would sit you most likely wont be able to use a bike carrier. It will end...
With how low that car is and how a hitch would sit you most likely wont be able to use a bike carrier. It will end up hitting the ground.
I'm probably going to save and get a pick up.
kb228
9/26/2019 4:42pm
I agree w the above. Ive got a 400+lb buddy and he makes a car SQUAT. Something small like an s10 or ranger will work perfectly and still be good on gas. And theyre cheap.
Sabez
9/26/2019 5:07pm
kb228 wrote:
I agree w the above. Ive got a 400+lb buddy and he makes a car SQUAT. Something small like an s10 or ranger will work perfectly...
I agree w the above. Ive got a 400+lb buddy and he makes a car SQUAT. Something small like an s10 or ranger will work perfectly and still be good on gas. And theyre cheap.
Not a fan of Ford's. S10 would be ideal and the gas mileage is pretty good.
SLOWTIME
9/26/2019 5:32pm
UHaul. I bought a hitch for a civic I had, and I pulled a three rail trailer with it. Worked great.

Post a reply to: Best hitch for BMW?

The Latest