Base gasket sweating 19 KTM 125

Ryan_Nolan
Edited Date/Time 12/23/2019 7:42pm
Anyone seen their base gasket “sweating” on a newer ktm 125? Bike idles fine, runs good, though I feel like maybe it lacks slightly up top. Plug color is good, though often more wet than I like to see... bike has 5 hours on it and I noticed this after about the first hour. I’m going to check torque but need to order a tool, just curious if anyone else has seen it. I’ll be replacing top end soon anyways just wondering if I could get another 5 hours out of it first.

|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
12/23/2019 10:17am
That seems pretty uniform all the way around. If it were a bad gasket, it would probably show in one spot. I'd check the torque first; if you notice it was low, there's your culprit. My bet is that the base nuts worked their way loose during break-in.

No noises? No hanging idle or air leak symptoms? I'd run it unless you have some weird plug readings or idle issues. Make sure to check the base surface when you do your top end.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
12/23/2019 10:18am
(PS- if your base nuts are torqued properly right now and this is the result, I'd be a little more worried.)
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
12/23/2019 10:33am
Agreed with Falcon, check torque. Clean it up nice. Run it again, then decide on what's wrong.

Maybe change the oil to make sure you're not getting any coolant into the bottom end(this is me being OCD).

I've been going 25 hours on my 16 125 pistons and they all look like I could go further(I think I've done about 150 hours on the bike(Full rebuild at 90 and cylinder re-plated) . *Note, depends on your jetting and fuel mix also
Ryan_Nolan
12/23/2019 11:19am
Thanks for the replies! Nothing funny at all, idles great and plug color is good, though slightly wet. I’m running VP T2. I do feel like there’s a little lack of top end pull but it sounds good, no pops, bogs, detonation sounds ect. I’ll check the torque soon as I get the proper tool and go from there. I didn’t consider break in might have loosened the nuts just a bit.

You mentioned you are getting 25 hours out of pistons? That seems pretty good, I honestly have only ever got 10-12 on My RM 250 (sand tracks) and less then 10 on 125s and when I took the pistons out they were ready for replacement. I was planning on setting squish and doing top end at 10 hours anyways, I just got a little nervous as I’ve never had a new bike weep like this one is doing.

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
12/23/2019 12:19pm
I'm not riding deep sand, so definitely a different ball game.

If you are lacking top end overrev, have you messed around with the powervalve setting? It's changes delivery dramatically.
Tracktor
12/23/2019 12:56pm
I have had that with a few KTM 85's & 125's usually if running a thinner base gasket. Never causes any issues. Most times see it on rear of cylinder around transfer port....
Ryan_Nolan
12/23/2019 2:14pm
I'm not riding deep sand, so definitely a different ball game. If you are lacking top end overrev, have you messed around with the powervalve setting...

If you are lacking top end overrev, have you messed around with the powervalve setting? It's changes delivery dramatically.
I haven’t messed with that yet but I did buy the little tool, what would you recommend a good starting point? I thought about getting a fatty rev pipe as well.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
12/23/2019 2:46pm
I'm not riding deep sand, so definitely a different ball game. If you are lacking top end overrev, have you messed around with the powervalve setting...

Ryan_Nolan wrote:
I haven’t messed with that yet but I did buy the little tool, what would you recommend a good starting point? I thought about getting a...
I haven’t messed with that yet but I did buy the little tool, what would you recommend a good starting point? I thought about getting a fatty rev pipe as well.
1 turn in from all the way out is good to start.

I ride .75 out when offroad and 1.25 out when riding more wide open on deep tracks. Right now I have HGS pipe and Akro silencer. I like this combo better, I think it pulls more top and bottom than FMF Fatty and Shorty.

Ryan_Nolan
12/23/2019 3:16pm
Nice setup! I got a 2.1 power core silencer already, I did think that helped slightly overall from stock, but your setup is really nice! Do I spot a vhm head on there as well? I had considered that and one of their pistons but if I’m replacing every 10-15 hours I liked the idea of just using what’s easy to get. I do have a smart carb on mine as well, just didn’t feel like messing around tuning the stock one.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
12/23/2019 3:59pm
Ryan_Nolan wrote:
Nice setup! I got a 2.1 power core silencer already, I did think that helped slightly overall from stock, but your setup is really nice! Do...
Nice setup! I got a 2.1 power core silencer already, I did think that helped slightly overall from stock, but your setup is really nice! Do I spot a vhm head on there as well? I had considered that and one of their pistons but if I’m replacing every 10-15 hours I liked the idea of just using what’s easy to get. I do have a smart carb on mine as well, just didn’t feel like messing around tuning the stock one.
Yeah, VHM head with stock pistons.

The overall package is great, it's definitely tuned for more bottom than top. A fun bike when the conditions are right.
Bruce372
12/23/2019 7:42pm
On our 2018 tc125, I think the stock jetting holds the top end back slightly... we went bigger.

Then we went to keihin carb and STIC insert... at that point, all bets are off, lol. Once you've dialed that setup, smart carb and lectron go on the classifieds
Ryan_Nolan
12/24/2019 5:29am
Bruce372 wrote:
On our 2018 tc125, I think the stock jetting holds the top end back slightly... we went bigger. Then we went to keihin carb and STIC...
On our 2018 tc125, I think the stock jetting holds the top end back slightly... we went bigger.

Then we went to keihin carb and STIC insert... at that point, all bets are off, lol. Once you've dialed that setup, smart carb and lectron go on the classifieds
I have read really good things about that setup! I got this bike to use for GNCC though and not having to worry about jetting and saving fuel outweighs max power for me. However right now I’ve really only been using it at the mx track since it’s off season and up top particularly in 2nd gear it just feels really flat. Could be I just don’t love the gearing because in 3rd and 4th I don’t really feel it runs out so much. Just a few sections I really want to be able to hold it 1-2 secs longer in second because shifting to 3rd is useless because by the time you do you are in the corner and needing to be in 2nd again. That being said, I will say this is the closest to fuel injection feel I’ve ever had on a two stroke, there’s no hiccups anywhere in the range ever.

Post a reply to: Base gasket sweating 19 KTM 125

The Latest