Balancing Crank CR265

labbe001
9/14/2018 6:49am
Hi guys,
I have a 2002 CR265 that vibrates horribly. I know a 2 stroke 265cc will have its fair share of vibration but I've never ridden a bike with this much. I've tried just about everything I know to do beside having the crank balanced. I would like to get some feedback from you guys on how much of a difference getting the crank balanced typically makes on vibration and if it's worth the money.

With this being an 02 CR, I originally posted over in "Old School" but have not yet received feedback.

Thanks in advance,
DLL
|
H4L
9/14/2018 7:24am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2018 7:26am
I'd contact these guys as they have an excellent reputation & do work for pros in the AMA. They do offer crank balancing as a service.

http://crankworks.com/index.php/crank-services
9/14/2018 7:34am
If your crank has some time on it and needs to be rebuilt anyway, the 05-07 crank will fit into your 02 with minor mods. You'll end up with a much more durable crank. Honda went to a solid crank design in 05 which replaces the older style "tin can" crank.
labbe001
9/14/2018 7:35am
H4L wrote:
I'd contact these guys as they have an excellent reputation & do work for pros in the AMA. They do offer crank balancing as a service...
I'd contact these guys as they have an excellent reputation & do work for pros in the AMA. They do offer crank balancing as a service.

http://crankworks.com/index.php/crank-services
Great...Thanks for the reply. I have looked into these guys and will probably use them if I decide to go this route.
I'm wondering how much does balancing the crank typically have on reducing vibration. Have any of you guys noticed a significant difference in vibration after having it done?
H4L
9/14/2018 8:16am
labbe001 wrote:
Great...Thanks for the reply. I have looked into these guys and will probably use them if I decide to go this route. I'm wondering how much...
Great...Thanks for the reply. I have looked into these guys and will probably use them if I decide to go this route.
I'm wondering how much does balancing the crank typically have on reducing vibration. Have any of you guys noticed a significant difference in vibration after having it done?
I have no personal experience with crank balancing, but in the process of buying an 07 CR2 that Chad Watts balanced the crank on the engine. I've talked to the owner of the bike & he did say it made a noticeable difference.

The Shop

labbe001
9/14/2018 11:16am
40 wrote:
If your crank has some time on it and needs to be rebuilt anyway, the 05-07 crank will fit into your 02 with minor mods. You'll...
If your crank has some time on it and needs to be rebuilt anyway, the 05-07 crank will fit into your 02 with minor mods. You'll end up with a much more durable crank. Honda went to a solid crank design in 05 which replaces the older style "tin can" crank.
It does have some time on it...in fact, it's the original, un-molested OEM crank that came in the bike. I've inspected it the few times I've had it out and always check for any play in the rod every time I do a top end. I have 2 more races left this season and I'll be going through the entire engine. What mods need to be made to the 05-07 crank to make it work in an 02? I assume I'd have to have these mods done as well as getting it balanced for the 68.5 piston size that I'm running?.?.?
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
9/15/2018 10:51am
send the crank, rod, and piston to Falicon...they'll hook you up. Won't be cheap, but they do really good work and have tons of experience with multi piece crankshafts (think GS1100 based drag engines...all roller bearings)
9/15/2018 3:54pm
labbe001 wrote:
It does have some time on it...in fact, it's the original, un-molested OEM crank that came in the bike. I've inspected it the few times I've...
It does have some time on it...in fact, it's the original, un-molested OEM crank that came in the bike. I've inspected it the few times I've had it out and always check for any play in the rod every time I do a top end. I have 2 more races left this season and I'll be going through the entire engine. What mods need to be made to the 05-07 crank to make it work in an 02? I assume I'd have to have these mods done as well as getting it balanced for the 68.5 piston size that I'm running?.?.?
Some guys have reported they had to slightly modify the cases
9/15/2018 5:27pm
send the crank, rod, and piston to Falicon...they'll hook you up. Won't be cheap, but they do really good work and have tons of experience with...
send the crank, rod, and piston to Falicon...they'll hook you up. Won't be cheap, but they do really good work and have tons of experience with multi piece crankshafts (think GS1100 based drag engines...all roller bearings)
Along with the ring (s), clips, and piston pin. Have had several done by Falicon. Great work.
BobPA
9/16/2018 6:17am
Another +1 for the Crank Works guys.
omalley
9/16/2018 3:06pm
labbe001 wrote:
It does have some time on it...in fact, it's the original, un-molested OEM crank that came in the bike. I've inspected it the few times I've...
40 wrote:
Some guys have reported they had to slightly modify the cases
05-07 crank dropped right in on my 02, no issues.

Post a reply to: Balancing Crank CR265

The Latest