Attention Honda gurus....need help

ktm-5
Edited Date/Time 10/6/2017 2:41pm
OK I have a friend's 01 cr250r bike that we're having issues with the kickstarter, as u can see in the pics the spring is not staying in the hole. We had an issue with it coming out and jamming in the clutch basket gear while it was on the bench when I was putting it back together.

I took it back apart and compared it to the microfiche and everything appears there. As it sits now the kickstarter was locked up and would not start the bike so I pulled off the cover and that's how it looked. I got this bike in pieces when I rebuilt it so I'm not exactly sure how it went. This was not a problem b4 we rebuilt the bike so what am I missing? Any help is truly appreciated. With the cover off it rotates

|
Paw Paw
9/24/2017 6:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/24/2017 6:12pm
The spring is damaged and bent. Get a new spring. Or get a good used complete assemble on Ebay for under $35.

Paw Paw
ktm-5
9/24/2017 6:43pm
OK sweet. I was hoping someone could tell from the pic what was wrong. Thanks
ktm-5
10/6/2017 1:26pm
OK well I got a whole new setup and now that part works great but now when I assemble it and start it it makes a screeching like noise and kickstarter bounces around So I took it all back apart and noticed the 2 dots on the back of the shaft and little gear thing (don't have time to look up what it's called lol) werent lined up so I lined them up put it all back together started it and for 3 seconds it was good then it started making noise again. And not only does it make noise but the kickstarter is bouncing around . I'm about to tell my buddy to throw this pos away and buy a ktm....I hope someone can help
ktm-5
10/6/2017 2:41pm
OK the more I think about it mabye my issue is because I'm trying it without oil. I've had to tear it apart so many times I wanted to make sure the kickstarter was working b4 i fillednit with oil again so I'm going to try some oil in there and maybe it'll help everything slide and move better

The Shop

Acidreamer
10/6/2017 7:41pm
Are you certain you did it right? Those kickstart gear assemblies are always the most tricky to assemble besides the transmission. Oil or not, it should work fine. Personally i havent done any cr250s so maybe theyre different. on some bikes theres a metal tab that a part of the assembly sortof locks under. Make sure youre paying attention to that if its indeed there.
ktm-5
10/6/2017 7:52pm
From everything I can find and have watched it appears I've done everything correct. Maybe if in my rush the last time I installed the idler gear backwards?? I'll pull all apart again and compare it to a video I watched b4...thanks
ktm-5
10/9/2017 12:10am
UPDATE: OK I took it all back apart and compared it to a video and the new assembly he ordered was missing the washer behind the spring so I took the one from his old assembly. Then another issue he was having is the kickstarter was either resting on the exhaust or on the frame never in the middle like it should. The only way I could get the kickstarter to sit in its correct spot was by miss aligning the kickstarter rachet gear by one tooth. So now the 2 dots don't line up but the kickstarter sits where's it's suppose to. I reassembled everything filled it with oil and BOOM works great. Thanks for everyone's help

Post a reply to: Attention Honda gurus....need help

The Latest