Any tips to do bottom end rebuild rm125?

Edited Date/Time 4/30/2020 9:19am
bought a wiesco top & bottom end kit. Haven't split a set of cases in 40yrs....
Motor is still in the bike, any tips or tricks to make life easy?
01 rm125
|
Paul_Pitzonka
4/30/2020 11:18am
Not trying to be negative but take the wiseco crank and replace it with a better crank preferably an oem unit ( new or rebuilt) or even a hot rods assembly ... not too many tips other than get The correct flywheel puller, and a case splitter...
kb228
4/30/2020 12:05pm
Return your rebuild kit and just get a gasket kit and top end kit. Send your crank somewhere to get rebuilt. Its cheaper and infinitely more reliable than the wiseco junk.

Need proper tools. case splitter, crank puller, flywheel puller, clutch holding tool, impact screw driver.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
4/30/2020 12:09pm
Tip 1: Have the proper tools handy. This includes a case splitter and probably flywheel puller. The Tusk stuff is cheap but works well.

Tip 2: I echo what they said above. I bought an 03 RM a few years back, it blew the bottom end in 3 laps. I put a Wiseco crank in and that lasted about 8 seconds before it seized again. Next, I rebuilt the OEM crank and the bike ripped until I sold it with no issues other than top-ends at normal intervals.
mwssquad827
4/30/2020 5:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2020 5:05pm
If your gonna do it get correct tool and a clymer manual...
zip ty your gears also, will make Reassembly way easier.
I agree with the wiseco products comment above, ditch them, rebuild your OEM

The Shop

4/30/2020 6:03pm
can anyone elaborate on why the weisco cranks are no good? I was under impression that the proX brand stuff sucked and wiesco/vertex was the way to go. is the metallurgy bad? to loose or tight tolerance?
Paul_Pitzonka
4/30/2020 6:19pm
ProX makes great products... I’ve seen wiseco cranks fail too many times to ever recommend them as a product... From big end bearings failing in a matter of hours, to wrist pin bushing failures, to rods breaking... I’m not sure what the issue is... but the company in the past seems to have had rather poor quality control on their rods/ cranks... I will say however, I have never had an issue with their pistons...
BAMX
4/30/2020 8:25pm
IMO, ProX is really good stuff. Pistons have been ART who make the OEM and seals etc are NOK which are OEM. I haven't bought bearings so maybe someone can chime in on their manufacture/quality. As for the cranks, I haven't heard anything good about Wiseco. I have used a couple of Hot Rods without issue. I do rinse out all of their manufacturing oils, relube with my premix (Motorex Cross Power 2T) and use a crank installer when pulling it in.Like the posts above, I suggest investing in a case splitter and a crank puller. A dead blow hammer is also handy.

Post a reply to: Any tips to do bottom end rebuild rm125?

The Latest