96’ YZ250 discussion

wilh72
4/21/2020 11:47am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2020 8:31pm
So I picked up this 96 YZ250 a few days ago, Haven’t dug much into it yet but was wondering if Its missing something? I’ve never seen a reed block that looks like this. Then again I’ve never owned a 96 YZ250, I’m Getting together a parts list. I looked up a diagram online but I don’t think it’s for the 96. Thanks

|
Ti
4/21/2020 12:01pm
Boyesen Rad Valve... Highly recommended!!!
wilh72
4/21/2020 1:01pm
Ti wrote:
Any recommendations for a new carb?
wilh72
4/22/2020 10:55am
Also wondering what forks are compatible with this bike that will bolt up with minimal modifications, YZ’s up to 04?
sandman768
4/22/2020 2:59pm
Ti wrote:
wilh72 wrote:
Something wrong with the keihin that’s on it?

The Shop

wilh72
4/22/2020 4:46pm
Ti wrote:
wilh72 wrote:
sandman768 wrote:
Something wrong with the keihin that’s on it?
It’s border line junk. Stripped threads, pitted from someone tapping it with a screw driver. Would rather just spend a little bit and get something new or used in better shape.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
4/22/2020 7:36pm
Use a newer Keihin PWK Air Stryker. Measure the stock carb. If it's 75mm front to back you want the PWK-Air Guide. If it's 91mm you want the screw top version.
FWYT
4/23/2020 9:46am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2020 9:54am
Ti wrote:
wilh72 wrote:
Hi Wilh72,
I built a '95 and had some of those same questions. My build is here, maybe some useful info.
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/1995-YZ-250-No-frills-no-…

Yeah, the Boyesen Rad Valve is good. Check those reeds, though!

I tried to use the original carb and that was a mistake. Spent some money on o-rings and such and
could NOT get it to run right. What I finally realized is that the orfice the needle slides into, which is not replaceable, was worn. Apparently somewhat common on older bikes with grit getting in there. If that happens, you will never, ever get it jetted right. I ended up getting a new KEIHIN 38mm PWK AIRSTRYKER w/Jet Kit from JD Jetting. Came with his jet kit. Played with the jetting some and ended up back at his recommended baseline settings. Works awesome and probably the best bang for the buck. Wish I would have done that from the get-go as it would have saved ton of time and really wasn't that expensive considering the time and cost of gaskets trying to do the original carb. https://jdjetting.com/product/jdkh08-keihin-38mm-pwk-airstryker-w-jet-k…

Forks . . . Yamaha uses the same steering head bearings from at least '95 to '08 or so. I swapped on a set from '07. Straight fugging bolt on. Couldn't believe it. There are, I'm told, a few different stem lengths but I got lucky. Mine is a little mix and match with a different year front wheel which caused some axle headache. Looking back, try to get the wheel/axle/brake, forks and clamps all from the same bike. If the stem length is correct, you're good. You might have to fiddle with the steering stops. I relocated mine to the frame. The shock from later models will also work. Again, double check length as I might have gotten really lucky.

'05 and up forks are SSS and more expensive. Pre -'05 are plentiful and cheap. But try to buy local, take your frame and double check the fit.

Something to watch- the rear wheel spacers are *slightly* different lengths. Make sure you have them correct. Sounds silly but you see rear brake calipers with rotor gouges all the time on those bikes from people getting it wrong.

Good luck!
wilh72
4/23/2020 10:56am
Ti wrote:
wilh72 wrote:
FWYT wrote:
Hi Wilh72, I built a '95 and had some of those same questions. My build is here, maybe some useful info. https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/1995-YZ-250-No-frills-no-bling-rebuild,1328872?exclusive_forum_user=false&page=1 Yeah, the Boyesen Rad...
Hi Wilh72,
I built a '95 and had some of those same questions. My build is here, maybe some useful info.
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/1995-YZ-250-No-frills-no-…

Yeah, the Boyesen Rad Valve is good. Check those reeds, though!

I tried to use the original carb and that was a mistake. Spent some money on o-rings and such and
could NOT get it to run right. What I finally realized is that the orfice the needle slides into, which is not replaceable, was worn. Apparently somewhat common on older bikes with grit getting in there. If that happens, you will never, ever get it jetted right. I ended up getting a new KEIHIN 38mm PWK AIRSTRYKER w/Jet Kit from JD Jetting. Came with his jet kit. Played with the jetting some and ended up back at his recommended baseline settings. Works awesome and probably the best bang for the buck. Wish I would have done that from the get-go as it would have saved ton of time and really wasn't that expensive considering the time and cost of gaskets trying to do the original carb. https://jdjetting.com/product/jdkh08-keihin-38mm-pwk-airstryker-w-jet-k…

Forks . . . Yamaha uses the same steering head bearings from at least '95 to '08 or so. I swapped on a set from '07. Straight fugging bolt on. Couldn't believe it. There are, I'm told, a few different stem lengths but I got lucky. Mine is a little mix and match with a different year front wheel which caused some axle headache. Looking back, try to get the wheel/axle/brake, forks and clamps all from the same bike. If the stem length is correct, you're good. You might have to fiddle with the steering stops. I relocated mine to the frame. The shock from later models will also work. Again, double check length as I might have gotten really lucky.

'05 and up forks are SSS and more expensive. Pre -'05 are plentiful and cheap. But try to buy local, take your frame and double check the fit.

Something to watch- the rear wheel spacers are *slightly* different lengths. Make sure you have them correct. Sounds silly but you see rear brake calipers with rotor gouges all the time on those bikes from people getting it wrong.

Good luck!
Thanks man that answered a lot of my questions, I have the engine pulled I’m going to get it completely rebuilt, also getting the frame reenforced, wheels off to faster USA for the OEM rebuild. This is my first time doing one of these restores. I’m actually having a lot of fun learning, I’ve wanted to do this for years. That 95’ is friggin awesome!!
FWYT
4/23/2020 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2020 12:04pm
wilh72 wrote:
Thanks man that answered a lot of my questions, I have the engine pulled I’m going to get it completely rebuilt, also getting the frame reenforced...
Thanks man that answered a lot of my questions, I have the engine pulled I’m going to get it completely rebuilt, also getting the frame reenforced, wheels off to faster USA for the OEM rebuild. This is my first time doing one of these restores. I’m actually having a lot of fun learning, I’ve wanted to do this for years. That 95’ is friggin awesome!!
Thanks!

Hold off on your front wheel until you figure out your fork situation.

If you are going to get your frame painted or powder coated, take a look at
a later model rear brake master cylinder that doesn't use that goofy remote reservoir.
Straight bolt on. (See my thread) Then you can grind off those little hose hooks for a cleaner look. Also
hold off on painting the frame until you figure out the forks what with possibly relocating the steering stop.

Also, those bikes are pretty notorious for needing good gas. Plan on running
at least race gas mixed with pump 50/50.
wilh72
4/23/2020 12:29pm
wilh72 wrote:
Thanks man that answered a lot of my questions, I have the engine pulled I’m going to get it completely rebuilt, also getting the frame reenforced...
FWYT wrote:
Thanks! Hold off on your front wheel until you figure out your fork situation. If you are going to get your frame painted or powder coated...
Thanks!

Hold off on your front wheel until you figure out your fork situation.

If you are going to get your frame painted or powder coated, take a look at
a later model rear brake master cylinder that doesn't use that goofy remote reservoir.
Straight bolt on. (See my thread) Then you can grind off those little hose hooks for a cleaner look. Also
hold off on painting the frame until you figure out the forks what with possibly relocating the steering stop.

Also, those bikes are pretty notorious for needing good gas. Plan on running
at least race gas mixed with pump 50/50.
I think I’m just going to go with a 00-04 fork set up, I had a 00,02,03 YZ in the past and I really loved those forks I know they are not as good as the 06+ but they are a lot cheaper and worked great for me. will those bolt right up and use the same wheel spacers etc? I’m feeling a little over whelmed with this build haha I’m kind of all over the place.
FWYT
4/23/2020 1:14pm
wilh72 wrote:
I think I’m just going to go with a 00-04 fork set up, I had a 00,02,03 YZ in the past and I really loved those...
I think I’m just going to go with a 00-04 fork set up, I had a 00,02,03 YZ in the past and I really loved those forks I know they are not as good as the 06+ but they are a lot cheaper and worked great for me. will those bolt right up and use the same wheel spacers etc? I’m feeling a little over whelmed with this build haha I’m kind of all over the place.
I'm not sure about the wheel and spacer compatibility. I know I did a lot of measuring and looking and I would STILL get the wrong fugging axle off of ebay. hahahahaha. That's why I would've tried to just stick with one year for the whole front end so you know it jives (once the steering stem is confirmed to fit your frame.) Also makes getting replacement parts easier.

If this is your first build, if I could offer some advice as that '95 was my first big rescue project.
Get a notebook and keep lots of notes. Every night when I left the garage, I would make notes of what I had done
and what needed to do next. Because it was so frustrating starting to work and going "Aw shit, forgot to get that one allen bolt from Ace Hardware!"

Get a decent Vernier caliper. Makes things a lot easier. When buying from eBay, try to get really detailed photos and measurements from the seller. I bought lots of wrong stuff, and wasted lots of time, not being more effecient.

I worked on the chassis first and stuck the motor away till I was fully done with the chassis. Otherwise I had too many different loose ends and parts lists and it was easy to loose track. Granted, I was not on a time frame. Do the motor yourself. It's really not that hard and immensely satisfying. Use OEM bearings. Have fun and good luck!
wilh72
4/23/2020 1:21pm
Thanks a lot. I’m just going to take my time and focus on one thing at a time. I might have to reach out to you for some info/advice in the coming weeks/months if that’s ok.
FWYT
4/24/2020 8:31pm
wilh72 wrote:
Thanks a lot. I’m just going to take my time and focus on one thing at a time. I might have to reach out to you...
Thanks a lot. I’m just going to take my time and focus on one thing at a time. I might have to reach out to you for some info/advice in the coming weeks/months if that’s ok.
One more thing- get a good heat gun. I can't believe that it took me all this time to realize heat is a tool.
It will come in so handy. I picked up good, used one on eBay for about $40.00. Money well spent.

Post a reply to: 96’ YZ250 discussion

The Latest