Always get some dust in air boot when changing filter

Edited Date/Time 10/9/2019 9:32am
I always hate changing my air filters because I always get a little bit of dust in the air boot when I change them. I always make sure my airbox is as clean as possible but there is always some specs of dust and smaller bits of sand that fall from the dirty filter into the inside when I physically go and change the filter (intake? Not sure the correct term).

I think this is just my OCD going crazy but should I even be worried about this? I always try my best to make the inside of the intake boot as clean as possible before I put the new filter in but I think I could sit there for an hour picking away specs dust or sand that finds its way in there.
|
kb228
10/7/2019 6:34pm
On extremely dusty ride days theres not too much you can do. Thats one of the reasons i avoid dusty places as much as i can.

If its not dusty you simply need to clean it every ride. Normal conditions dont create enough dirt on the filter to have that issue.

You do want to clean what you can though. Dont let dirt get sucked in if its avoidable
JMCR250
10/7/2019 7:46pm
Put a plastic bag (like a grocery bag) over the filter (after removing the bolt) before you remove it from the bike. Should keep the dirt from falling into the intake.
zippytech
10/8/2019 11:25am
If mine is real dirty, I spray WD to wet it down.
FWYT
10/8/2019 11:51pm
Most of the time, that dirt is coming from the top of the filter where it seals against the airbox.
So what I do is run a strip of tape over that airbox/filter junction. Then when you go to change the filter, you
first pull the tape off and that area will be clean. No crud to fall down into the boot! Works like a charm!!

The Shop

Bearuno
10/9/2019 3:43am
Well, dependent on your particular bike, you can go as far as taking the whole subframe off - 'backwards' YZFs / WRs, are, obviously, not one of those Woohoo . Some bikes, it can be just 3 bolts removed, and one screw undone at the carb to airboot. Some, of course, a whole heck of a lot more...........

Then, hold subframe upside down, or just fender down to the ground, then remove the airfilter, thence clean the inside of the airbox. Then, install a new or cleaned and oiled same filter. Nothings going to get into your engine that way.

It's extreme, but, ultimately, the one of the things removable subframes came into being for.
FWYT
10/9/2019 7:23am
JMCR250 wrote:
Put a plastic bag (like a grocery bag) over the filter (after removing the bolt) before you remove it from the bike. Should keep the dirt...
Put a plastic bag (like a grocery bag) over the filter (after removing the bolt) before you remove it from the bike. Should keep the dirt from falling into the intake.
That's a great idea! It also occurs to me that that would be something good to do when installing the filter, as well. It would keep sticky filter oil from getting on the sides of the airbox and subframe rails were that stuff always just collects dirt and is a pain to wipe off. Thank you for the good suggestion!
fourfourone
10/9/2019 9:19am
I have a yz450 and I run into the same problem, especially with the how the filter sits in the air box. This is a big reason why I would never remove the fire screen. It keeps anything bigger out. I always see a few specs of dust in the intake, doesn't bother me. A little bit of small dust particles here and there wont hurt anything. 99% of bikes suck in a bit of dust here and there. doesn't matter how careful you are. it happens.
Lynch
10/9/2019 9:32am
FWYT wrote:
Most of the time, that dirt is coming from the top of the filter where it seals against the airbox. So what I do is run...
Most of the time, that dirt is coming from the top of the filter where it seals against the airbox.
So what I do is run a strip of tape over that airbox/filter junction. Then when you go to change the filter, you
first pull the tape off and that area will be clean. No crud to fall down into the boot! Works like a charm!!

I mean it looks stupid but I can imagine it works, gonna try this sometime on my YZF.
hogkiller
10/12/2019 9:33am
Have had dirt bikes from 1970 , always change my filter after every ride. but do i get dirt in there sometimes we all do..I have never ever had a top end or bottom end failure because of dirt, just keep it as clean as you can, change and grease your filter after you ride all will be good

Post a reply to: Always get some dust in air boot when changing filter

The Latest