Alpinestars Tech 10

So I recently made the switch from Sidi Crossfire SRS2 to Tech 10s. I didn't really like the hard sole and the two layers on the inside of the Sidis, because it was a little numb.
So yesterday was my first ride in the Tech 10s and I felt even number in them. Do they just require a longer break in time? They're pretty stiff and I still have to get used to the bigger size (due to the bootie). I was just wondering if I should already pull the trigger and go for SG12 or if I should give them a bit more time to break in?
|
tempura
2/26/2017 8:16am
Tech 10's generally don't require much break in. People either like the way the bootie feels, or they don't. What you're feeling now probably isn't going to change much.
Personally, I like the tech 10's.
mxb2
2/26/2017 8:18am
tempura wrote:
Tech 10's generally don't require much break in. People either like the way the bootie feels, or they don't. What you're feeling now probably isn't going...
Tech 10's generally don't require much break in. People either like the way the bootie feels, or they don't. What you're feeling now probably isn't going to change much.
Personally, I like the tech 10's.
Do the newer tech 10 s run small or true to size ,since it has the bootie
2/26/2017 10:52am
Since I have returned to MX after 16 years away in 14, I also struggle with boots.
I currently have SG 12's and Fox Instincts.
The Fox offer the most feel imo but the Gearne's are coming around but toe area is HARD!
I was considering Sidi TA because of the traditional rubber sole and that is what I used in the 90's.
Good question mxb2. I'd like to know that also. Good luck GER.

Ghost
mxb2
2/26/2017 11:48am
Since I have returned to MX after 16 years away in 14, I also struggle with boots. I currently have SG 12's and Fox Instincts. The...
Since I have returned to MX after 16 years away in 14, I also struggle with boots.
The Fox offer the most feel imo but the Gearne's are coming around but toe area is HARD!
I was considering Sidi TA because of the traditional rubber sole and that is what I used in the 90's.

Ghost
For what it's worth my opinion,experience, instincts run a little small, sg12 run a little big. I have wide flat feet street shoe size 12. Instincts a 13 with thick socks, sg12 size 12 same thick socks. I heard the new tech 10 s, you need one size bigger because of bootie. I WD rather have my boot a little bit big,then smash my toes. And in sidi srs size 12.5 is good for me. Hope that helps and makes sense.

The Shop

mxb2
2/26/2017 11:49am
Since I have returned to MX after 16 years away in 14, I also struggle with boots. I currently have SG 12's and Fox Instincts. The...

Ghost
What size boots you wearing now,brand,. Compared to your street shoe?
HenryA
2/26/2017 1:13pm
mxb2 wrote:
A bit small, I'm always one size bigger in my Tech 10s compared to regular shoes.
mxb2
2/26/2017 2:15pm
mxb2 wrote:
HenryA wrote:
A bit small, I'm always one size bigger in my Tech 10s compared to regular shoes.
Thanks , I heard the same , not sure they are cut small, or bootie makes it a must to go up a size.
2/26/2017 2:26pm
Mxb2,
Yes I wear a size 11 shoe and I'm wearing a size 12 in Instincts. I guess I need a 12 in Tech 10's...?

Ghost
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
2/26/2017 2:54pm
So I recently made the switch from Sidi Crossfire SRS2 to Tech 10s. I didn't really like the hard sole and the two layers on the...
So I recently made the switch from Sidi Crossfire SRS2 to Tech 10s. I didn't really like the hard sole and the two layers on the inside of the Sidis, because it was a little numb.
So yesterday was my first ride in the Tech 10s and I felt even number in them. Do they just require a longer break in time? They're pretty stiff and I still have to get used to the bigger size (due to the bootie). I was just wondering if I should already pull the trigger and go for SG12 or if I should give them a bit more time to break in?
Take this from someone who loves Gaerne's. If you are struggling with lack of "feel" in Tech-10's you will not be happy with SG-12's. Tech-10's were specifically designed with the very thin plastic around the toe area to give you more feel. Gaerne's have much thicker/stiffer plastic and I would say essentially give up some feel to gain some protection. I am totally used to Gaerne's and love the protection but I realize they have less feel than Tech-10's.
mxb2
2/26/2017 4:50pm
Mxb2,
Yes I wear a size 11 shoe and I'm wearing a size 12 in Instincts. I guess I need a 12 in Tech 10's...?

Ghost
I would say yes,. But like I said I have wide flat feet,big calves. Easier to wear thick socks then cram your toes in a boot that's to small imo.
tempura
2/26/2017 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2017 5:56pm
I've found the sizing of the tech 10's to be about right. They may feel a little snug with the inner boot. If you can't try them on, buy a size larger.
The 10's have much better toe feeling in comparison to the Gaerne's. The Sidi's have the best toe feeling in the boots I've worn.
As an all round, protection, feeling and comfort, I find the tech 10's hard to beat.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
2/26/2017 6:00pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2017 6:04pm
So I recently made the switch from Sidi Crossfire SRS2 to Tech 10s. I didn't really like the hard sole and the two layers on the...
How "tight" are you latching the bottom 2 buckles? How tight are you velcroing the bootie around the ankle area? How thick are your socks and are they the same ones you used with the Sidi's?

You wear knee pads or knee braces? Ever have sciatica issues?
2/27/2017 10:03am
FGR01 wrote:
Take this from someone who loves Gaerne's. If you are struggling with lack of "feel" in Tech-10's you will not be happy with SG-12's. Tech-10's were...
Take this from someone who loves Gaerne's. If you are struggling with lack of "feel" in Tech-10's you will not be happy with SG-12's. Tech-10's were specifically designed with the very thin plastic around the toe area to give you more feel. Gaerne's have much thicker/stiffer plastic and I would say essentially give up some feel to gain some protection. I am totally used to Gaerne's and love the protection but I realize they have less feel than Tech-10's.
I'm not struggling with the toe area that much actually, but the inside part that faces the bike. Especially in the lower part due to the bootie where I try to grip the bike.

Compared to the Sidis they are very stiff in forward and backward motion, but maybe that will change since the sidis have about 100 hours on them.
2/27/2017 10:08am
kzizok wrote:
How "tight" are you latching the bottom 2 buckles? How tight are you velcroing the bootie around the ankle area? How thick are your socks and...
How "tight" are you latching the bottom 2 buckles? How tight are you velcroing the bootie around the ankle area? How thick are your socks and are they the same ones you used with the Sidi's?

It's possible that they were just a little loose but I tightened them a little. I velcroed the bootie very tight and I use the same Moto socks (a little thicker than normal socks).
I still use Mobius knee braces and never had an injury like that, knocking on wood
tempura
2/27/2017 4:41pm
I'm not struggling with the toe area that much actually, but the inside part that faces the bike. Especially in the lower part due to the...
I'm not struggling with the toe area that much actually, but the inside part that faces the bike. Especially in the lower part due to the bootie where I try to grip the bike.

Compared to the Sidis they are very stiff in forward and backward motion, but maybe that will change since the sidis have about 100 hours on them.
The reason I switched from Sidi's to tech10 was that the Sidi's wasn't providing enough support to my ankle area.
Generally, with protection comes some element of stiffness or feeling of thickness.
You have to find the right balance for you.
For me, as someone with weak ankles, I found the Sidi's to have great feel and movement, but lacked in support, protection where I needed it.
Tech10's were the best all round for my needs.
SG12 is good, but I didn't like the toe area.
1HRCrider
2/27/2017 7:16pm
The thing I hate about Tech 10's is the straps do not let you get full use of the adjustment. It only pushes in so far, yet is not tight enough. Ended up yanking strap out, and cutting about 1/2" off strap, so i can push in further, to get tighter. Should not be like this.
j368
2/28/2017 7:12pm
kzizok wrote:
How "tight" are you latching the bottom 2 buckles? How tight are you velcroing the bootie around the ankle area? How thick are your socks and...

It's possible that they were just a little loose but I tightened them a little. I velcroed the bootie very tight and I use the same...
It's possible that they were just a little loose but I tightened them a little. I velcroed the bootie very tight and I use the same Moto socks (a little thicker than normal socks).
I still use Mobius knee braces and never had an injury like that, knocking on wood
I use a thin sock with my T10's. I used a heavier sock with my T7's that has no bootie. I velcro the bootie snug but not tight. Kinda of like lacing up your sneakers. I wear size 9 sneakers and the same in the T10's FYI.
adiaz791
9/14/2018 2:08pm
1HRCrider wrote:
The thing I hate about Tech 10's is the straps do not let you get full use of the adjustment. It only pushes in so far...
The thing I hate about Tech 10's is the straps do not let you get full use of the adjustment. It only pushes in so far, yet is not tight enough. Ended up yanking strap out, and cutting about 1/2" off strap, so i can push in further, to get tighter. Should not be like this.
Has anyone actually cut their straps to make the boot feel tighter? Was thinking of doing it too, feet are narrow and hate that the boots feel "loose".
419250f
9/16/2018 7:30am
1HRCrider wrote:
The thing I hate about Tech 10's is the straps do not let you get full use of the adjustment. It only pushes in so far...
adiaz791 wrote:
Has anyone actually cut their straps to make the boot feel tighter? Was thinking of doing it too, feet are narrow and hate that the boots...
Has anyone actually cut their straps to make the boot feel tighter? Was thinking of doing it too, feet are narrow and hate that the boots feel "loose".
Yes I do this on my Tech 8 RS boots. I have narrow feet and like my ankles strapped in TIGHT. I get more ankle support this way in the 8's than the 10's . I think it has to do with the 8's strap locations that allow this secure ankle feeling as well.

Post a reply to: Alpinestars Tech 10

The Latest