Air forks

Dylanyuen271
Alright so... How the f*** do these things work lmao. I have a 2013 kx250f with showa sff forks. Don't take my lmao as being joyful. These forks really piss me off hahahah. Sorry if some of these questions seem stupid. Do you bleed airforks like you do spring forks? Or will that eventually remove all the air from the fork? If I have a leaky fork seal would i lose air like you would oil in a spring fork? And then I'd imagine you'd lose the air much faster than you would oil? If I lose air from my air fork how do I put more air in? Currently my forks look lower than I feel they are supposed to. What is wrong? How do I fix it?
|
Dylanyuen271
7/16/2018 7:23pm
What air forks are on the bike? The 13 KX250f came stock with Showa SFF coil spring forks.
If I'm not mistaken one leg is a spring style fork and the other is an air style fork
Bruce372
7/16/2018 8:00pm
All forks are air forks, because they all rely on an air spring along with the metal spring
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
7/16/2018 8:36pm
13 KX250F is a spring fork, not an air fork. The nut in the center of the spring fork controls the preload, which raises or lowers the front end.

The other leg just has oil and shims, and controls damping. You should bleed the forks before riding because pressure builds up in them as air heats/cools and barometric pressure changes.

The Shop

Dylanyuen271
7/16/2018 8:56pm
Jbulz wrote:
13 KX250F is a spring fork, not an air fork. The nut in the center of the spring fork controls the preload, which raises or lowers...
13 KX250F is a spring fork, not an air fork. The nut in the center of the spring fork controls the preload, which raises or lowers the front end.

The other leg just has oil and shims, and controls damping. You should bleed the forks before riding because pressure builds up in them as air heats/cools and barometric pressure changes.
Thank you. Very informative. I also never notices this until today. I don't know if it is normal. While my bike is on the ground. Say on a triangle stand. Should i be able to lift my upper fork tubes up higher than they actually sit?
Dylanyuen271
7/16/2018 8:58pm
Jbulz wrote:
13 KX250F is a spring fork, not an air fork. The nut in the center of the spring fork controls the preload, which raises or lowers...

Thank you. Very informative. I also never notices this until today. I don't know if it is normal. While my bike is on the ground. Say...
Thank you. Very informative. I also never notices this until today. I don't know if it is normal. While my bike is on the ground. Say on a triangle stand. Should i be able to lift my upper fork tubes up higher than they actually sit?
This would be the preload or sag? Are they tied together? My guess is that it is normal? And that it is similar to how you are able to lift the rear up higher than it actually sits?
Dylanyuen271
7/16/2018 9:02pm
Bruce372 wrote:
All forks are air forks, because they all rely on an air spring along with the metal spring
I was talking about traditional metal spring and oil forks vs these new new forks that actually don't have a metal spring but instead use air.

Post a reply to: Air forks

The Latest