Acceleration chop help

ben5020
Maybe I am expecting too much out of my suspension but acceleration chop with hard base hurts like hell and bounces like a champ, all other aspects like flying down hill through braking bumps I’m golden, what adjustment to the clickers do you guys suggest I try to keep the ass end a little more planted through that crap. 17 fc350 kyb a kit rear, kyb a kit front that have been valves and sprung for my weight. Thanks in advance for any and all help
Ben
|
Paw Paw 271
5/28/2019 10:52am
Sounds like your high speed compression on the shock needs adjustment.

Paw Paw
ben5020
5/28/2019 10:54am

Paw Paw
Thanks for the response, left or right?
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
5/28/2019 2:51pm

Paw Paw
ben5020 wrote:
Depends upon whether it's blowing through the stroke and bottoming, or not letting the suspension work. If it's bottoming, turn the adjuster clockwise. If it's not letting the suspension work, turn it counter clockwise. Pick a track section to test it on, and only make adjustments of one click at a time. Then hit that same section and see if it's better or worse. Repeat as needed until you're satisfied with the results.
ben5020
5/28/2019 3:41pm

Paw Paw
ben5020 wrote:
Depends upon whether it's blowing through the stroke and bottoming, or not letting the suspension work. If it's bottoming, turn the adjuster clockwise. If it's not...
Depends upon whether it's blowing through the stroke and bottoming, or not letting the suspension work. If it's bottoming, turn the adjuster clockwise. If it's not letting the suspension work, turn it counter clockwise. Pick a track section to test it on, and only make adjustments of one click at a time. Then hit that same section and see if it's better or worse. Repeat as needed until you're satisfied with the results.
I don’t think I’ve ever bottomed the rear, I tend to land on the down side of landings and not flat land too often, maybe I should try going in a fair amount on the compression?...

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
5/28/2019 4:43pm
High speed clicker counter clockwise to make softer. Also once you get it to free up on the small chop sometimes want to speed up the rebound so it recovers between fast bumps. That again would be counterclockwise.
ben5020
5/28/2019 6:23pm
High speed clicker counter clockwise to make softer. Also once you get it to free up on the small chop sometimes want to speed up the...
High speed clicker counter clockwise to make softer. Also once you get it to free up on the small chop sometimes want to speed up the rebound so it recovers between fast bumps. That again would be counterclockwise.
Awesome I will give this a try tomorrow thanks man I appreciate it! What would high speed compression change?
red_leader
5/28/2019 9:23pm
I just had my stock suspension revalved by Earl Schuler.

The acceleration bumps are now WAY smoother, and I was able ride much longer.

He put a stiffer rear spring for my weight and backed off high speed compression. (unscrew clicker)

So I think mine was compressing too much, and riding too low coming out of corners, causing the harshness.

Make sure your linkage is fully greased, sag 105mm.

Not sure if any of this helps you, lol.

Radfonz
5/28/2019 11:34pm
another thing to try is going out a bit on rebound adjustment.. The "rebound" adjuster is a valving bypass so it will effect both rebound and compression. By adding a little more "bypass"(winding out adjuster), it will free the shock movement up a bit on the choppy stuff.
Pirate421
5/29/2019 4:14am
I would also throw in a recommendation of instead of trying 1 click at a time and riding, go 4 clicks. 1 click is hard to tell a difference for the average rider, 4 clicks you will know pretty quickly whether you went the right or wrong way. If it feels slightly better then come 1 click in until you’re somewhere in the middle of the setting you started with and the 4 clicks you initially went out.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
5/29/2019 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2019 2:26pm
ben5020 wrote:
I don’t think I’ve ever bottomed the rear, I tend to land on the down side of landings and not flat land too often, maybe I...
I don’t think I’ve ever bottomed the rear, I tend to land on the down side of landings and not flat land too often, maybe I should try going in a fair amount on the compression?...
If you think it's too stiff, you need to go out, or anticlockwise on the high speed compression adjuster. You need to figure out what it's doing first though. We're talking about high speed compression damping here, which mainly affects how the bike handles chop. Landing off jumps and such is taken care of with the low speed compression damping..

Your seat of the pants feel of whaty's going on might not be accurate as well. If you have someone come out with you and video you hitting some chop that you have problems with, it'd make it easier to determine what the bike is doing
Jrewing
5/29/2019 3:34pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2019 3:37pm
As pirate421 said. Especially as you’re chasing a direction and not fine tuning.
Also what Radfonz said.
red_leader
5/29/2019 5:24pm
What spring do you have on the rear, and what is your weight?

Are you the first owner of the KYB suspension for your Husky?
ben5020
5/30/2019 10:08am
red_leader wrote:
What spring do you have on the rear, and what is your weight?

Are you the first owner of the KYB suspension for your Husky?
I don’t know off hand which spring it is but yes I purchased it new and had it valved accordingly, sag numbers are good
red_leader
5/30/2019 1:39pm
If you bought it new, this is easy.

Call the suspension shop. Tell them what it is doing.

If they can't help you fix it through adjusting the clickers,
Almost all of them will revalve it for free a second time if they didn't get it right the first time.
ben5020
5/30/2019 6:02pm
red_leader wrote:
If you bought it new, this is easy. Call the suspension shop. Tell them what it is doing. If they can't help you fix it through...
If you bought it new, this is easy.

Call the suspension shop. Tell them what it is doing.

If they can't help you fix it through adjusting the clickers,
Almost all of them will revalve it for free a second time if they didn't get it right the first time.
It’s not a valving issue, just looking for insight on how to adjust it accordingly

Post a reply to: Acceleration chop help

The Latest