AER fork slow leak?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/8/2019 8:36 AM

seems like I have a slow leak in the AER fork. 2 weeks ago had 144 in them, went to the track 5 days later and was down to 125psi. Didn't think much of it, refilled to 144 this past wednesday, rode for couple hours at track. Went down to work on bike this morning and pressure was down to 104, so looks like a slow leak (9 psi a day).
any thoughts on what direction to look?
Bike is a 17 250sx and was revalved and upgraded to 18 parts by FC last year.
thanks for any input.

|

9/8/2019 11:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/9/2019 4:37 AM

Schrader valve maybe?

|

9/8/2019 4:16 PM

You loose pressure every time you connect the pump

|

9/8/2019 4:52 PM

That isn't a normal amount to lose over normal storage conditions. As mentioned above, I'd check the valve on top of left leg and then probably assume the main shaft seal is going.

|

9/8/2019 7:46 PM

Or just take it back to FC and let them fix it.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

9/8/2019 10:07 PM

Guys, take any airfork and screw on your pump... its gonna read low because the pump and connector tube are at atmospheric pressure.

|

9/9/2019 3:43 AM

Bruce372 wrote:

Guys, take any airfork and screw on your pump... its gonna read low because the pump and connector tube are at atmospheric pressure.

You don’t lose 40 psi, maybe 2-3 psi when u connect the pump.
I’ll put in a new Schraeder valve first and if that doesn’t work have fc loook at it

|

9/9/2019 7:42 AM

It can only go 1 of 2 places. Are you getting excessive pressure build-up when you open the bleed screw? if so you have a bad seal allowing the pressure to migrate into the outer chamber, if not it must be coming out the schrader.

|

9/9/2019 8:11 AM

Bruce372 wrote:

opyguy wrote:

You don’t lose 40 psi, maybe 2-3 psi when u connect the pump.
I’ll put in a new Schraeder valve first and if that doesn’t work have fc loook at it

Ok, 144 to 125 was more like 20 psi, inwasnt understanding where you are coming from.

Like slip said, check the bleeder... I had this happen, it's around $50 for a new cartridge seal head and not hard to change if you have shaft blocks and a seal bullet

|

9/9/2019 4:53 PM

It's very basic.
Step 1: Service fork to your 144 psi.
Step 2: Remover fork from bike
Step 3: Fill bath tub
Step 4: Submerge fork - Look for bubbles
Step 5: Repair as required.

With Works Connection Zero loss adapter I loose zero air pressure at service.

Good luck.

|

9/11/2019 9:10 AM

NEtrailrider wrote:

It's very basic.
Step 1: Service fork to your 144 psi.
Step 2: Remover fork from bike
Step 3: Fill bath tub
Step 4: Submerge fork - Look for bubbles
Step 5: Repair as required.

With Works Connection Zero loss adapter I loose zero air pressure at service.

Good luck.

That won't show if it's leaking internally.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

9/11/2019 11:03 AM

If it's leaking internally and you keep servicing it, eventually it will be hydraulically / air locked.
No movement.
Air has to go somewhere - Usually path of least resistance.

|

9/11/2019 7:16 PM

Switched out the Schraeder valve, fixed it
Thanks for the input guys

|