‘99 KTM MXC 200 FMF Gnarly fitment issues

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
Edited Date/Time 9/30/2018 9:46am
I bought a used bike and am trying to get it all dialed in. Previous owner had installed an FMF Gnarly pipe and FMF silencer, but had made his own pipe mount brackets and pipe was sitting all crooked in the cylinder. (He hadn't ridden it, since taking it apart to powdercoat the frame)
So I bought the correct OEM pipe mounts to get things lined up, but the pipe hit the frame on the left side (front frame rail) the pipe appeared to be brand new, but because it would not line up, without hitting the frame and had a strange shape to it, I decided to order a brand new pipe to get this thing together. Thinking maybe it was the wrong pipe for my bike. (The flange barely enters the cylinder, you can see the o-ring when the pipe hits the frame, a good 1/2” or so too short)
The new pipe is exactly the same and confirmed that the pipe that came on the bike isn't bent at all, but just an awkward bend in it up front. But my problem is still that the flange on the pipe is not long enough to reach into the cylinder. Am I missing something here ? Any help would be appreciated.
|
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/27/2018 2:21pm
When I picked up the bike, this is kinda what was going on... Pipe was wedged in the cylinder flange all crooked and the mounts didn’t line up, he had some “Z” looking brackets to accommodate the pipe mounting. I since replaced them with the OEM pipe mounts, now fitment is a real problem.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/27/2018 2:31pm
Here’s a view from above to show clearance and pics of the cylinder markings to confirm it’s a 200 cylinder-

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/27/2018 2:55pm
Pipe mounts seem to be in correct/ stock position
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/27/2018 2:59pm
With the pipe in proper position (squared up), the mounts line up nicely, but pipe hits the frame, before the pipe will insert past the o-ring...
(First pic is one of the brackets that were holding the pipe on, I threw the other one away by accident, but it was similar, but slightly bigger.

The Shop

5/27/2018 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2018 4:19pm
So does the rear mount line up how it’s supposed to? Maybe it’s an issue on FMF’s end.

I would stick the pipe, wrapped in a towel, in a vice by the exhaust flange and tweak the whole expansion chamber out, so the flange will sit farther in. It’ll be some SERIOUS doing, but I think you should be able to tweak it just right.

If not, I would contact FMF and doublecheck part numbers and supply them with the pics and issues you’ve ran into. Maybe they sent both of you the wrong pipe or list the wrong pipe for the bike. I can’t imagine too many people buying a Gnarly for that bike tbh, so that could be the issue. Or it could be an issue that the pipe is for another bike and they figured it’d fit yours.

Edit: according to all the skidplates I’ve looked at, they are listed for the MXC and the EXC, as is the pipe. Maybe the cylinder flanges are different from bike to bike?
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/27/2018 4:31pm
I’m so frustrated, everything points to the FMF jig being “off” and I think I’ll load it up in my van and drive down to FMF and let them explain it to me. I’ve sent pics to them and detailed description of my problem. The guy helping me, forwarded them to the engineers to look over. That was Thursday and I didn’t hear back from them yet. But having the bike there will eliminate more headaches for me, I’m already tired of dealing with this damn thing.
5/27/2018 4:36pm
langhammx wrote:
I’m so frustrated, everything points to the FMF jig being “off” and I think I’ll load it up in my van and drive down to FMF...
I’m so frustrated, everything points to the FMF jig being “off” and I think I’ll load it up in my van and drive down to FMF and let them explain it to me. I’ve sent pics to them and detailed description of my problem. The guy helping me, forwarded them to the engineers to look over. That was Thursday and I didn’t hear back from them yet. But having the bike there will eliminate more headaches for me, I’m already tired of dealing with this damn thing.
If you’re close enough, I’d say go for it. If they can’t get it to work, then there is obviously something wrong with the pipe itself.

Maybe there is supposed to be a dent where the pipe hits the frame in order to clear it? Either the flange isn’t in the correct position, or the expansion chamber isn’t and needs to be tweaked. I’d let them handle it if you have the patience.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/27/2018 5:01pm
Thanks for taking time to reply, this bike has been such a pain in the ass. I was just trying to put a bike together that I could beat up in the rocks, without worrying about it much. I’ve got under $1800 into it and if I can get the pipe thing handled, it’ll hopefully be ready to ride. Wish I had the stock pipe to see how it fits, but it came with this Gnarly pipe, so I’m trying to make it work..,
omalley
5/27/2018 6:07pm
Is that bolt-on flange (on the cylinder) from the wrong year or model by any chance? Maybe the correct one comes farther out to match the pipe?
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/27/2018 6:11pm
omalley wrote:
Is that bolt-on flange (on the cylinder) from the wrong year or model by any chance? Maybe the correct one comes farther out to match the...
Is that bolt-on flange (on the cylinder) from the wrong year or model by any chance? Maybe the correct one comes farther out to match the pipe?
I had thought that “might be” a possibility, although this is a pretty low hour bike and all stock, other than this damn pipe. But after some looking into it, it appears they have the same depth on all the 200’s. But that would’ve been an easy fix and I’d be happy to purchase a new one if it was a possibility of curing my problem.
omalley
5/27/2018 6:12pm
Not sure what year and/or what pipe, but this looks like an FMF. Check out the section of straight tubing between the header and flange...

https://goo.gl/images/qu6YGP
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/27/2018 6:22pm
omalley wrote:
Not sure what year and/or what pipe, but this looks like an FMF. Check out the section of straight tubing between the header and flange...

https://goo.gl/images/qu6YGP
I see that. I’m tempted to go out and start prying mine to get it to fit, but I’m afraid I’d put some extra dents into the pipe during the process. Lol

Thanks for that link, I might end up just saving the gas and time driving down to FMF and just get busy on bending mine to fit. That video sure looked easy. Ha
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/27/2018 9:50pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2018 11:07pm
Ok, I ended up getting out a pry bar and a piece of diamond plate that I had sitting in the garage. I got the header of the pipe to pop out sone, but anymore and the angle of the pipe entrance just gets worse. It’s not in all the way, but it’s past the o-ring and I put some high heat silicone where the pipe meets the flange. Hoping it’ll be ok for now, but going to pursue a better fit. I had the diamond plate facing down, so I got a few dents that I was trying to avoid. Doh.... But the mounts line up nice and silencer fit nicely as well. Really dumb that I should be trying to make a new pipe fit, but I had to try it after watching that video... I’m just glad to put it back together, I got another bike apart at the moment.

Tuxedo
9/30/2018 9:46am
I'm having this same exact problem with the same bike and pipe. The front of my cylinder has an additional collar that sits in the cylinder but my pipe does not fit any better than the same pipe that was 10 years old and bent to hell and back. I don't wanna have to bend my pipe because it looks like it still doesn't fit very well. I understand your frustration. Let me know if you figure anything else out.
Hcallz5
10/1/2018 7:46pm
Dude what's up with the case halfs where they meet up by the flange there?

Anyways I have a 200 and I've always had a hell of a time with pipe fitment. The do bend back easily on the stator side if you fall so I'm sure the pry bar technique will help. Then the back mount weld is weak, mine actually busted off. Let us know if FMF says anything.

Post a reply to: ‘99 KTM MXC 200 FMF Gnarly fitment issues

The Latest