97 yz125 shifting problem

pmshortt2
Edited Date/Time 11/6/2017 6:06am
What’s up guys. So I was riding my recently rebuild yz125 and at the end of the day I started to have some shifting issues. Pretty much my 2nd ride on the full rebuild. After changing the transmission oil after the first ride there were some small pieces of metal but one piece looked like a piece of clutch friction plate. You’ll see in the pics.

After the 2nd ride at the end of the day I could not get it to shift up to 3rd after 2nd. So 1st, 2nd, and neutral work fine. But when I try to shift into 3rd, it’s like it almost can go in but something feels stuck or is stopping it from going to 3rd.

So I took the shift mechanism apart and looks at the pawls. One of them seemed like it had some stuff in the spring so I cleaned it up and I guess I’m gonna try putting that back together and if that doesn’t fix it I’ll have to split the cases. Also check out the wear on my clutch basket and hub, normal wear? Any life left in it? I have a brand new clutch pack for it. Wish I would’ve replaced the clutch components before putting it back together but I was being a cheapass lol. Anyways let me know what you think. Grinning

|
Paw Paw
11/6/2017 5:46am
Clutch basket is toast. It should be replaced. You may have a broken fiber plate.
I would not split the cases at this point.

Paw Paw
pmshortt2
11/6/2017 6:06am
Paw Paw wrote:
Clutch basket is toast. It should be replaced. You may have a broken fiber plate.
I would not split the cases at this point.

Paw Paw
Thanks, I’ll get a new clutch basket, get everything back together and go from there. Smile

Post a reply to: 97 yz125 shifting problem

The Latest