93 CR250 no spark

PigLover
Fantasy
1825th
Currently fighting an electrical issue that is admittedly above my pay grade. I’ve just rebuilt this motor and after installation it started 1-2nd kick, no issues whatsoever throughout the couple hours of break in and the first 3-4 hour ride (mostly open trails and some tighter single track.)

The day after my first ride, it starts right up first kick. I blip the throttle once and it immediately bogs and dies. Kick it over a few more times, attempt bump start, no dice. Pull the plug and swap it with a fresh dry one, and it fires right up. Go ride for 4-5 hours and about a mile from the truck the bike bogs in the midrange of 5th. Attempt to start, swap plug, no dice. Bike has not started since and now has no spark.

I’ve checked the killswitch, flywheel/stator, and ignition control; All are within the manual specs. However, my multi shows zero resistance for the primary and secondary of the ignition coil.

So what gives? Is it simply that the coil has been fried? If so, does anybody know of an OEM replacement from a different year of CR? From what I’ve gathered ignition coils for these bikes are somewhere between hard to find and hens teeth.
|
Paw Paw
10/7/2020 4:30pm
If the coil reading are not correct it will not run. A too low of a primary reading indicates the coil is internally shorted and will not create a spark. If the secondary reading is too high the generated spark will not get to the plug. This can be from dirty or corroded spark plug wire and connection.
You may also have a broken wire to the coil. It is odd to have "0" readings on both the primary and secondary at the same time.
I suggest replacing the coil and plug wire and cap.
I don't know what your manual shows as good readings, but in general you are looking for a reading above 16 on the primary and a reading of 10 or less on the secondary side.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: 93 CR250 no spark

The Latest