'78 RM 100 Project, Crankshaft Question...

tswizzle
3/26/2020 11:54am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2020 11:54am
Just pulled crankshaft from my '78 RM 100 and noticed a few things. There were three very small pits in the outer surface and it looks like at some point some piece of junk cause some scratching to the surface. Those issues seem rather minor to me but I am unsure. Also, there is a indentation along the edge and I am not sure how serious that is. Whatever the cause it looks like the same piece of junk may have caused some minor pitting in the crankcase in one spot. Is that a major issue? I am attaching photos. Bought the bike for $100 in pieces and have been gradually tinkering with it. When I bought it the motor was not seized. The threads and end of shaft on left side are gnarled and I am not sure they are salvageable, but thought I get some opinions. Thank you!

|
3/27/2020 11:48am
I wouldn't worry to much about the crank wheels, nor the cases, but it's those screwed up threads that are going to be a problem, Hard to tell from the picture, but the whole end of the shaft appears to be mushroomed out pretty bad. Might check around at some local machine shops and see if they think they can be fixed.

Post a reply to: '78 RM 100 Project, Crankshaft Question...

The Latest