450sxf, Life ater 40hrs of Pro Racing?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/26/2018 6:36 AM

Hi all,

I am looking into getting a 2017 KTM 450sxf from a privateer pro rider. It has 40hrs on it and he says all it needs are fork seals and suspension service. My concern is that it has been ridden hard. Do you think there is still plenty of life in engine after 40hrs (top end, bottom end, etc..)?

I appreciate your input.

|

5/26/2018 7:03 AM

I heard one of the MXA guys has like 200 hours on his 450sxf. Same piston and bottom end. He’s a fast rider.

You need to figure out if he maintained it well. Either he took great care of it and stayed on top of it or beat it to hell.

|

5/26/2018 7:16 AM

Id inspect the top end and replace if its not new. Cam chain and valve wear is what i would focus on. I believe KTMs service interval for a piston is 40 hours so might as well do it while youre there. I would expect 100-200 hours out of the bottom.

|

5/26/2018 7:52 AM

There are lots of ktm 450s out there that are low hours, vet owned, maintained and babied with lots of upgrades. I would look for one of those.

They are great bikes that last well, so I am sure it's a good bike, but it should be heavily discounted to compare to many of the other good bikes out there

|

5/26/2018 9:09 AM

Bruce372 wrote:

There are lots of ktm 450s out there that are low hours, vet owned, maintained and babied with lots of upgrades. I would look for one of those.

They are great bikes that last well, so I am sure it's a good bike, but it should be heavily discounted to compare to many of the other good bikes out there

Yep, I will have a 17 for sale in a month or so.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

5/26/2018 2:07 PM

Etx wrote:

Hi all,

I am looking into getting a 2017 KTM 450sxf from a privateer pro rider. It has 40hrs on it and he says all it needs are fork seals and suspension service. My concern is that it has been ridden hard. Do you think there is still plenty of life in engine after 40hrs (top end, bottom end, etc..)?

I appreciate your input.

What kind of deal is he offering?

|

5/26/2018 7:32 PM

He went down to $5700

|

5/26/2018 7:36 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

There are lots of ktm 450s out there that are low hours, vet owned, maintained and babied with lots of upgrades. I would look for one of those.

They are great bikes that last well, so I am sure it's a good bike, but it should be heavily discounted to compare to many of the other good bikes out there

mx317 wrote:

Yep, I will have a 17 for sale in a month or so.

How much are u selling yours for

|

5/26/2018 7:41 PM

$5500 and it will have new tires, plastic, and won't need anything. I'm just waiting on a 19

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

5/27/2018 5:34 AM

mx317 wrote:

$5500 and it will have new tires, plastic, and won't need anything. I'm just waiting on a 19

Coming to Texas anytime soon? I'd take it from you

|

5/27/2018 6:02 AM

mx317 wrote:

$5500 and it will have new tires, plastic, and won't need anything. I'm just waiting on a 19

Etx wrote:

Coming to Texas anytime soon? I'd take it from you

We might work something out. I'm sure you won't find a better used one. Before I became a teacher (now principal) I was a factory trained motorcycle mechanic. I continued to work at shops during the summer until I became principal. I took off the factory rad shrouds and number plates before I ever rode it, so it will look almost new. It has 53 hours with a 59 year old riding it lol.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

5/27/2018 8:50 AM

mx317 wrote:

$5500 and it will have new tires, plastic, and won't need anything. I'm just waiting on a 19

Etx wrote:

Coming to Texas anytime soon? I'd take it from you

mx317 wrote:

We might work something out. I'm sure you won't find a better used one. Before I became a teacher (now principal) I was a factory trained motorcycle mechanic. I continued to work at shops during the summer until I became principal. I took off the factory rad shrouds and number plates before I ever rode it, so it will look almost new. It has 53 hours with a 59 year old riding it lol.

Sounds great, let me know when you are ready. I sent you a message with my contact info.
Thanks!

|

5/27/2018 9:48 AM

i never buy a bike off someone faster than me and i never let someone faster than me ride my bike, that one has all the fun rode out of it, look ellsewhere, there is a vet rider somewhere with the exact bike you want with every foo foo part in the world on it and the guy dont even know the trans shifts up as well as down

|

5/27/2018 12:52 PM

pete24 wrote:

i never buy a bike off someone faster than me and i never let someone faster than me ride my bike, that one has all the fun rode out of it, look ellsewhere, there is a vet rider somewhere with the exact bike you want with every foo foo part in the world on it and the guy dont even know the trans shifts up as well as down

You must have to buy a new bike every time and never let anyone ride it.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!