4 Stroke oil

Related:
Create New Tag

12/13/2018 4:27 PM

Going to be my first 4 stroke oil and filter change soon. What is the best oil? (I know theres not a best oil but what is tried and tested) The shop i got it from recommended Motul 300V. Just curious to what others think. Im a novice rider, hardly really hit top end revs and if i do its only for half a second or so, changing oil and filter ever 3 rides just to be on the safe side.

any help is appreciated

the bike is a 2017 YZ250F.

|

12/13/2018 4:30 PM

This will open a can of worms!
You can do a search for this on this site. There must be 100 pages.

Paw Paw

|

12/13/2018 4:49 PM

Maxima Premium 10/40. Cheap and good oil.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

12/13/2018 5:34 PM

I use maxima full synthetic mx530. 10w-40.

Like pawpaw said, everyone will give an answer.

|

12/13/2018 6:02 PM

Lucas semi-synthetic. 10W-40

|

No brains, No headaches.

12/13/2018 6:19 PM

Canola

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

12/13/2018 7:02 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

This will open a can of worms!
You can do a search for this on this site. There must be 100 pages.

Paw Paw

Yea Paw Paw this will be a ten pager in no time. It's worse then filter oil or chain lube.

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

12/13/2018 8:23 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Maxima Premium 10/40. Cheap and good oil.

I’m running the same.

|

12/13/2018 8:33 PM

redline the best money can buy

|

12/13/2018 8:57 PM

Any heavier synthetic will do, duration between changes is far more important than the oil itself.

|

10' 200 XC-w
96' XR600r

12/14/2018 12:01 AM

GN4

|

12/14/2018 1:05 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, so am I right in doing an oil change every 3 rides? By 3 rides in talking best part of about 5 hours in total, including warming bike up/waiting at the entrance point. Or should I do it ever 2 rides and get a cheaper oil so it sort of balances it out. Cheers guys.

|

12/14/2018 2:10 AM

I change mine every 3-5 hours or when the oil is no longer a clear amber color in the sight glass. I believe this is why i can go more than double the maintenance schedule on valve adjustments.

|

12/14/2018 6:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2018 7:01 AM

kb228 wrote:

I change mine every 3-5 hours or when the oil is no longer a clear amber color in the sight glass. I believe this is why i can ...more

The oil has nothing to do with that in such a short time because you can not break the oil down or use up the additives in that short of a time, however, obviously the darker it is the more contaminated it is and the contaminates can cause premature wear, so using the color as a guide is a better indicator of when to change the oil instead of changing it based on ride time alone.

|

12/14/2018 7:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2018 7:10 AM

ChrissyDMX wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys, so am I right in doing an oil change every 3 rides? By 3 rides in talking best part of about 5 ...more

I would not use cheap oil because it does not protect as well as good oil. In general, the best oils are Group IV and Group V if all other aspects of the oil are the same, but it can be difficult determining what Group a particular oil is.

|

12/14/2018 8:05 AM

Have been using Amsoil synthetic for years, just switched to MotoBlud. I've heard good things about it from quite a few sources. We'll see.......

|

12/14/2018 1:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2018 1:57 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Maxima Premium 10/40. Cheap and good oil.

X2.....Reasonably priced oil yet still great Maxima Quality. Change oil every 3 hours and it comes out looking great. I'm a believer of frequent oil changes on these bikes because of the shared sump as well as the general small quantity of oil these modern bikes call for. For me I used to use AMSOIL but I honestly prefer the feel of the clutch and shifting with the conventional (premium) oil. At teardowns I have seen absolutly ZERO difference in component wear or clutch longevity with the switch from Amsoil to Maxima Premium4 and its quite a bit cheaper per drain, no brainer too me im getting great protection and saving money

Sidebar: Amsoil is the only thing that goes in my Harley as things are alot different with air cooled bikes that reach the temperatures they do and the amount of run time they are subject too.

|

12/14/2018 2:08 PM

A few years ago I went thru a few brands of oil, maxima, amsoil and golden spectro and rotella t 6, sent two samples of each into Blackstone labs, you would be surprised at which oil faired best, any jaso spec oil will serve you well, just keep it routine.

|

12/14/2018 4:58 PM

Kristen_Valentino wrote:

A few years ago I went thru a few brands of oil, maxima, amsoil and golden spectro and rotella t 6, sent two samples of each ...more

Due tell us your results if you don’t mind

|

12/14/2018 7:57 PM

Rotella 15/40

|

12/14/2018 9:35 PM

Castrol gps 10-40. Shifts great with it. I also like how it stays/clings when cold

|

12/15/2018 6:38 AM

Samples all had 2.5hrs on them, rotella faired the best with the most tbn left, maxima then amsoil and golden spectro, at the time the bike I rode was 2011 kx250f, the rotella to me shifted rough, I always like maxima products for the money, I dont know how much faith a person should put in a oil test, when you get a test back it list alot of different metals and information, I personally was concerned about oil break down, and bearing material, I personally did it cause I was having alot of troubles that year, I am not saying anyone oil is better than the next but at the time I was very surprised at the results, I would assume if your to buy a decent oil and routinely change it would be fine, whether it be amsoil, maxima, red line or the next brand.

|

12/15/2018 8:15 AM

Maxima has everything you need and The chances of it being at a local shop are better than some of the other oils. I’m always confused about which Maxima oil to use because they have a few options: MX530 or the premium 10w/40 full synthetic. Everytime i switch bike brands....they call for different viscosities and i start over. Luckily.....it’s easy to figure out.

|

12/16/2018 5:25 PM

Maxima 530mx

I change my oil every ride and filter every other ride. everyone will say I'm crazy and wasting money but I like to take good care of my motorcycle and I think that is cheap insurance to the longevity of the motor.

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

12/18/2018 11:03 PM

barnett468 wrote:

The oil has nothing to do with that in such a short time because you can not break the oil down or use up the additives in ...more

Don't listen to anything Barnett has to say and if you want to know why just look at any other post he's done. He only points out why other people are wrong with no fact or reasoning. You'll notice that he's basically ignored on this site now. Every brand oil mentioned by others on here is good, i personally run spectro platinum sx41040 and have had great results. However i will admit im biased towards spectro because i live in ct and spectro is a ct based company. If you're changing it every 3-5 hours you will be fine...you're not going to hurt anything by changing it frequently, just always throw a fresh oil filter in it.

|

12/19/2018 3:52 AM

kb228 wrote:

I change mine every 3-5 hours or when the oil is no longer a clear amber color in the sight glass. I believe this is why i can ...more

barnett468 wrote:

The oil has nothing to do with that in such a short time because you can not break the oil down or use up the additives in ...more

Whatever you say sensei

|

12/19/2018 5:23 AM

There are so many oils that you cannot go wrong with. I use 300v, it makes my clutch work better, and lasts much longer. I can now go safely 10hrs plus between oil changes, though I rarely do.

|

12/19/2018 7:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2018 7:32 AM

kb228 wrote:

I change mine every 3-5 hours or when the oil is no longer a clear amber color in the sight glass. I believe this is why i can ...more

barnett468 wrote:

The oil has nothing to do with that in such a short time because you can not break the oil down or use up the additives in ...more

cowasocki205 wrote:

Don't listen to anything Barnett has to say and if you want to know why just look at any other post he's done. He only points ...more

Your infantile and self serving attempts to discredit other peoples posts whom obviously know far more than you do, simply to boost your own frail and needy ego, are amusing, but serve no purpose to add useful, tangible, information to peoples threads, and from past experience, I'm confident that you will now continue to unnecessarily derail this thread just like you have done to some others here simply because you can't cope emotionally with being wrong.
.

|

12/20/2018 4:46 PM

bvm111 wrote:

Maxima 530mx

I change my oil every ride and filter every other ride. everyone will say I'm crazy and wasting money but I like ...more

I'm with you, change mine every ride and filter every other. A quart of oil even at $10 a quart is cheap insurance in my opinion as well.

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

12/21/2018 2:58 AM

Also noticed my oil being super dark after a few hours till I switched over to heavier hinson clutch springs from stockers. However at 5 hours normally super dark now looks like new oil. Stockers slipped that much

|