8/24/2018 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2019 3:09pm
Looking to get billet fork leg lugs made

4 pairs needed

Can somebody point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance
|
Paw Paw 271
8/24/2018 9:16pm
Billet may be too stiff to work as those are cast items.

Paw Paw
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
8/24/2018 9:49pm
You don't need a 3d scanner. Just go to your local machine shop and see what they'll do.
Or buy the correct billet lugs for your bike. Might have to get Akit forks on them though...
8/25/2018 2:52am
colintrax wrote:
You don't need a 3d scanner. Just go to your local machine shop and see what they'll do. Or buy the correct billet lugs for your...
You don't need a 3d scanner. Just go to your local machine shop and see what they'll do.
Or buy the correct billet lugs for your bike. Might have to get Akit forks on them though...
Thanks for reply , I’m finding it difficult to get them for 125 Yamaha ! I’m currently building my own kit forks and these built lugs will finish them off nicely
kb228
8/25/2018 5:03am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2018 5:04am
Thats going to cost a lot to reverse engineer it. I would think your best bet is looking at ride engineering or calling pro circuit to see what they have. Billet lugs are works items not available to the public. And ill also add 3d scanners arent exactly reliable. At least the one my company has isnt. Like its good for getting a rough model but its not accurate

The Shop

8/25/2018 6:49am
kb228 wrote:
Thats going to cost a lot to reverse engineer it. I would think your best bet is looking at ride engineering or calling pro circuit to...
Thats going to cost a lot to reverse engineer it. I would think your best bet is looking at ride engineering or calling pro circuit to see what they have. Billet lugs are works items not available to the public. And ill also add 3d scanners arent exactly reliable. At least the one my company has isnt. Like its good for getting a rough model but its not accurate
Thanks for the info mate appreciate it
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1228th
8/26/2018 2:12pm
You don't need a scanner, just someone who can reverse engineer it with the appropriate measurement tools and can design the billet versions. But making a one-off set of lugs will be pricey. You'll have a hard finding someone to do it for less than $1k unless you have an order for multiple sets. There's a lot of time in reverse engineering, design, set-up, programming, fixturing, etc. that has to be made up in the final price. And if it's not spread out over multiple sets, the final price will be really high!

We're about to start making some billet lugs for WP, but unfortunately don't have anything for KYB yet.
8/26/2018 3:39pm
Luxon MX wrote:
You don't need a scanner, just someone who can reverse engineer it with the appropriate measurement tools and can design the billet versions. But making a...
You don't need a scanner, just someone who can reverse engineer it with the appropriate measurement tools and can design the billet versions. But making a one-off set of lugs will be pricey. You'll have a hard finding someone to do it for less than $1k unless you have an order for multiple sets. There's a lot of time in reverse engineering, design, set-up, programming, fixturing, etc. that has to be made up in the final price. And if it's not spread out over multiple sets, the final price will be really high!

We're about to start making some billet lugs for WP, but unfortunately don't have anything for KYB yet.
Hi thanks for the information, I would buy 4 pair to start with if were good quality I’d be a constant buyer ! Im currently building my own kit forks for team Yamaha’s in Europe
navalseabee
8/26/2018 4:29pm
Technical Touch will have billet lugs for KYB, they run around $750.
mxtech1
8/27/2018 7:39am
you can ship them to a company like Exact Metrology and they can use very accurate 3D scanners to create a model for you. You can then take that 3D model to your local machine shop and have them programmed and cut on a CNC machine.
8/27/2018 10:07am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2018 10:07am
Technical Touch will have billet lugs for KYB, they run around $750.
Technical Touch is your best bet for sure. But you have to remember that the KYB kit forks have cast lugs for Yamahas so billet ones may not be available. Probably better off having the stock ones cleaned up and hard anodized.
2/5/2019 6:41pm
Have you found a suppler for these yet? I wouldn't waste any time or money having stock lugs scanned.
slowvet36
2/6/2019 5:21pm
You could have them scanned but it's been my experience that the resulting model won't be suitable for toolpath generation. As others have said it would be less expensive to buy them. I've never priced fork lugs but I would bet the cutting tools alone would cost more than the lugs. And that's not counting scanning, programming etc.
dmm698
2/6/2019 6:22pm
PC had billet Showa lugs for kit forks, they were like 600$. I was going to convert my kx forks to run on my Yz now that I’m running stock forks on my 19. They can also have them made if they don’t have any in stock. I don’t see why they couldn’t tweak the print if you’re trying to run 48mm Kyb tubes as opposed to 49mm Showa tubes. They won’t just sell lugs though from my experience they want to do the install.
rmoto003
2/8/2019 3:09pm
Doing this is actually part of my job. I use a GOM atos III scanner and the GOM 2018 software for the scanning portion.

For the reverse engineering portion, I use NX12, but most of the heavy lifting is done is the GOM software. I usually build all the simple geometries (planes, cylinders, etc) in GOM then import them into NX as iges files, then do the more detailed stuff in NX, usually with rapidsurfacing or simple 4 point surfaces.

From experience, these would take about 2 hrs to scan, then about 8 or so to model (depending on how accurate you want them to be to the originals). I actually did something similar for my college senior project where I scanned some components of our Baja SAE car and made models that we could use for stress analysis and stuff.

If youre interested, I wouldn't mind helping out for probably cheaper than youll find commercially, but I also wont be able to do is as fast. As far as getting them milled, im not sure if i could get that through our shop unnoticed (not a mom and pop shop), but I could scan them and give you usable NX models (or whatever universal format, .X_T, .IGES, etc...)

Post a reply to: 3D scanner cnc milling

The Latest