350sxf Chain Slapping In Low RPM?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/24/2019 12:53 PM

I took my 16 350sxf out and was riding it around at above idle (cruising speed) and got into some tighter rocky stuff where you had to kinda lug through it. I noticed while doing that the chain was slapping like crazy. I do know these bikes shine wound out but in the woods thats not always possible. I have adjusted the chain and lubed it and all that. It is the stock chain. The whole bike has 39hrs on it as well. Any ideas of how to get it to not slap and make such a racket as bad? Could swapping to a o/x ring chain help?

|

1/24/2019 1:44 PM

How are the guide and slide looking?

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

1/24/2019 2:23 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

How are the guide and slide looking?

Pretty good. Inwas thinking of swapping them out though for tm designs slide/glide kit though and keep stocks as extra.

|

1/24/2019 2:25 PM

Check your chain and sprockets for wear.
An oring or xring chain will not do this as bad, but remember that when you change the chain you will also need to put on new sprockets.

Paw Paw

|

1/24/2019 2:30 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

Check your chain and sprockets for wear.
An oring or xring chain will not do this as bad, but remember that when you change the chain you will also need to put on new sprockets.

Paw Paw

I have an xring chain hanging on the wall that was for my old yz with like 5hrs on it max. Its got enough links since i was running higher gearing. Would it be wise to run it? I would hate to have to buy all new sprockets and stuff since im kinda low on funds right now. But when i do change them out i replace everything.

|

1/24/2019 6:30 PM

Well that usually happens if it's a bit tight. You don't want your chain tight as a guitar string when the suspension is compressed.

Also it doesn't slap if you keep it pinned.

|

10' 200 XC-w
96' XR600r

1/25/2019 4:43 AM

Don't use a used chain. Replace everything at the same times. Sprockets and chain. KTMs require more chain slack then other bikes. My KTMs always made a bit of slapping noise.

FYI the TM design stuff makes that noise way louder.

|

1/27/2019 10:48 AM

fourfourone wrote:

Don't use a used chain. Replace everything at the same times. Sprockets and chain. KTMs require more chain slack then other bikes. My KTMs always made a bit of slapping noise.

FYI the TM design stuff makes that noise way louder.

Well came riding today and rode for a few hours. Got back to the truck and it looked like it was never adjusted it sagged so bad. I re tightened it up to finish my day but new chain and sprockets will be in order next week. I was thinking what i used on my yz250 (renthal aluminum rear/steel front/primary drive x ring chain) any other suggestions? Also might change my gearing. Its stock now and 2nd feels short in the open flowy stuff. Any recommendations?

|

1/27/2019 1:14 PM

if you want the ultimate system, get the DID VT2 narrow ring chain, Dirt Tricks Rear or Sunstar Works and a steel front, maybe go down one on the rear.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.