350 sxf 4cs build or swap? Help

Related:
Create New Tag

3/23/2018 7:24 PM

I know the 4cs topic has been beat to death but I'm in a little bit of a frustrating situation. Picked up a '16 model new and of course, hated the 4cs forks. I had them tuned locally, race tech gold compression valves installed, a few other mods, and they were about 20 percent better. I didn't love them but they were okay on the track, okay in the desert except for hard pack open roads or square edges. Anyhow, just had a well known suspension shop build them, being told they would perform well. $1150.00 later and they are unrideable. Super springy, like crazy. Seems to bottom easier even though it's supposed to have bottom cones installed now. The bike has fairly low hours on it, do I sell it and pick up a new one with the WP AER air fork, or do I just order some forks on ebay ($1500.00 ish) and swap the 4cs out? Is there any hope that the 4cs can be a good fork? Even considering an '18 CRF 450 at this point. What are your thoughts?

|

Current Bikes

2016 250 sxf
2016 350 sxf
2015 125 sx
2007 YZ 125

3/23/2018 8:01 PM

Send them back to the (well known shop) for a redo. This is assuming you played around with the clickers.
It wouldn't be the first time a reputable shop doesn't get it write the first go round.

Get your $1150.00 out of them before jumping ship.

|

3/23/2018 8:11 PM

Damn your probably almost 2k into them now. Id do ohlins inserts and call it a day if i had 4cs.

I have aer48s and conevalves and ohlins are so tempting but the aers work pretty damn good.

|

3/23/2018 9:30 PM

Dang, that’s a bummer you spent that much. If you can afford it, we’ll set up cone valves are your fix. There’s some used sets floating around for $2000-2500. The Showa/KYB internal conversion is another great route.

If you just change bikes, the Honda has great suspension out of the box.

|

3/24/2018 5:59 PM

Thanks guys! Can you suggest or PM me a shop to do the showa/KYB conversion? I have 3 KTM's with the 4cs and have had 4 different shops mod them. None have been great but the last shop took a bad fork and made it just aweful. Would AER forks bolt up to my triple clamps?

|

Current Bikes

2016 250 sxf
2016 350 sxf
2015 125 sx
2007 YZ 125

3/24/2018 6:48 PM

Spent some money.

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!





3/24/2018 6:59 PM

KTMP wrote:

Thanks guys! Can you suggest or PM me a shop to do the showa/KYB conversion? I have 3 KTM's with the 4cs and have had 4 different shops mod them. None have been great but the last shop took a bad fork and made it just aweful. Would AER forks bolt up to my triple clamps?

Sounds like TBT Racing is a good place for the KYB conversion. Just google about it and Showa conversions. Tons of info.

Yes the AER will bolt right up.

|

3/24/2018 7:26 PM

Thanks! I think the most cost effective choice is to upgrade the forks a third time. Frustrating that I'll be into the forks 3500 ish for at this point but the 350 is a great bike and so much fun! Thanks for all your input guys.

|

Current Bikes

2016 250 sxf
2016 350 sxf
2015 125 sx
2007 YZ 125

3/25/2018 7:14 AM

I was in your position at one point as well so I will share my thoughts. I went the Cone Valve route and they are the best forks I have ridden with. The way I look at buying new suspension vs. having stock stuff set up is that buying kit suspension may be more of an initial investment but you end up losing less on them than the cost of a typical revalve. And you have ridden some of the best suspension out available. So if it was me, I would consider picking up a set of AER or CV forks rather than dumping more money into your stock forks.

|

3/25/2018 7:23 AM

samcampbell wrote:

I was in your position at one point as well so I will share my thoughts. I went the Cone Valve route and they are the best forks I have ridden with. The way I look at buying new suspension vs. having stock stuff set up is that buying kit suspension may be more of an initial investment but you end up losing less on them than the cost of a typical revalve. And you have ridden some of the best suspension out available. So if it was me, I would consider picking up a set of AER or CV forks rather than dumping more money into your stock forks.

Agreed. Spend 12-1500 on aer48s or 17-2200 on ohlins or cones. When you change bikes you can sell the forks for most of what you paid.

Having upgraded 4cs will never add value the same way or hold value.

|

3/25/2018 4:09 PM

I've decided to keep the bike and swap the forks. I'll store the 4cs for resale. Are all aer48's the same? Meaning, can I get them from a 250, 350, 450 etc.? I would do CV for 2200. Where could those be found from? Ebay has a few sets but they are much more money.
Thanks guys

|

Current Bikes

2016 250 sxf
2016 350 sxf
2015 125 sx
2007 YZ 125

3/25/2018 5:15 PM

KTMP wrote:

I've decided to keep the bike and swap the forks. I'll store the 4cs for resale. Are all aer48's the same? Meaning, can I get them from a 250, 350, 450 etc.? I would do CV for 2200. Where could those be found from? Ebay has a few sets but they are much more money.
Thanks guys

The newer AERs you can find should have the most updated setting. But again if you’re going to spend $1200 keep an eye out for Ohlins or cone valves. Look on eBay, Craigslist and the for sale section here. Turbo just sold a set for $2,000

|

3/25/2018 5:17 PM

KTMP wrote:

I've decided to keep the bike and swap the forks. I'll store the 4cs for resale. Are all aer48's the same? Meaning, can I get them from a 250, 350, 450 etc.? I would do CV for 2200. Where could those be found from? Ebay has a few sets but they are much more money.
Thanks guys

Private mesagae turbojez on here he always comes across nice forks. If your serious He'll have a set for you asap.

|

3/25/2018 6:46 PM

I'll pm him now. Thanks guys! I'm new here, the help and replies have been great!

|

Current Bikes

2016 250 sxf
2016 350 sxf
2015 125 sx
2007 YZ 125

3/26/2018 9:16 AM

I just went through this with a 300xc I picked up. Luckily, I have a spare bike (2014 Husky cr125) that came with KYB's & brembo's, so it was a simple bolt-on conversion. From the husky, I snagged the forks, axle, wheel & hub (as I didn't want to try and swap fork lugs) and installed them onto the KTM. Everything fit perfect except the lower clamp needed a spacer, which I made from a soda can.

It was, without question, the best thing I could've done to that bike. Stock springs, stock valving....it's still 1000X better than the 4cs. I know not everyone has a spare Husky sitting around, but these bikes can be had for cheap and then can be sold for cheap wearing 4cs forks! I'm actually still working on getting the 4cs to fit the stock Husky lower clamp as they're just a bit too fat, but I'll either source a new lower clamp or have the Husky lower machined to fit the 4cs.

|