250f rebuild help/shops near Vancouver, BC?

Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 12:21pm
I'm quite new to the moto scene and I've got a '09 CRF250R in need of what I believe is a top end rebuild. I've never gotten a rebuild before so I'm unfamiliar with the process and the steps to take in getting this done in a safe and efficient manner. I was wondering if anyone knew of any reputable shops in or near Vancouver, Canada (where I live) that could look at my bike and help me out with my situation. About 6 months ago I got an inspection on the bike and the shop told me that my cam bearings had "spun in their journals", requiring the installation of a new cam along with the rebuild. I haven't had anything done to the bike since the inspection so the motor is still in this state. She's running but I'm afraid that the motor is a ticking time bomb and would like a shop to take a look at it, let me know what needs to be replaced and get the rebuild done without me worrying about getting taken advantage of. I'm currently out of the country in school but have plans to get this done once I'm back. Any tips, recommendations, or help would be greatly appreciated!
|
Paul_Pitzonka
10/17/2018 8:10am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 8:13am
I’m not quite sure what they were referring to when they told you it spun the bearings in the journal... the design that’s used isn’t like a rod/crank/ or camshaft that has a bearing style that can spin and cause damage like that... the camshaft on Honda’s is supported by two ball bearings... and even if somehow those spun or did anything of an odd nature I believe it would cause damage to the head not the cam... the only thing I think they might be referring to is 09 still has a press on timing gear and those can sometimes spin causing timing issues, but this normally carries running issues with It... My main question is why do you believe it is in need of a rebuild?
10/17/2018 11:44am
I’m not quite sure what they were referring to when they told you it spun the bearings in the journal... the design that’s used isn’t like...
I’m not quite sure what they were referring to when they told you it spun the bearings in the journal... the design that’s used isn’t like a rod/crank/ or camshaft that has a bearing style that can spin and cause damage like that... the camshaft on Honda’s is supported by two ball bearings... and even if somehow those spun or did anything of an odd nature I believe it would cause damage to the head not the cam... the only thing I think they might be referring to is 09 still has a press on timing gear and those can sometimes spin causing timing issues, but this normally carries running issues with It... My main question is why do you believe it is in need of a rebuild?
I bought the bike used about 2 years ago and the owner claimed that the motor had never been rebuilt and had a total of 60 hours on the whole bike. After the inspection, the shop stated "When we pulled the cam we found that the cam bearings had spun in their journals. Outer races, alignment clips and cam bearing journals in the cylinder head are all damaged due to improper install. Recommend full top end rebuild." I do not know for a fact that it needs a rebuild, just going off of what the shop said. Considering I bought it used with the claimed hours on it, I feel it would be in need of a new top end pretty soon regardless. After what you said, I wonder if the shop just spat all this technical jargon at me knowing that I wouldn't fully understand what they were talking about.
Paul_Pitzonka
10/17/2018 12:07pm
I’m not quite sure what they were referring to when they told you it spun the bearings in the journal... the design that’s used isn’t like...
JDMobesity wrote:
I bought the bike used about 2 years ago and the owner claimed that the motor had never been rebuilt and had a total of 60...
I bought the bike used about 2 years ago and the owner claimed that the motor had never been rebuilt and had a total of 60 hours on the whole bike. After the inspection, the shop stated "When we pulled the cam we found that the cam bearings had spun in their journals. Outer races, alignment clips and cam bearing journals in the cylinder head are all damaged due to improper install. Recommend full top end rebuild." I do not know for a fact that it needs a rebuild, just going off of what the shop said. Considering I bought it used with the claimed hours on it, I feel it would be in need of a new top end pretty soon regardless. After what you said, I wonder if the shop just spat all this technical jargon at me knowing that I wouldn't fully understand what they were talking about.
What they said may be possible... however, if they reassembled your bike after the damage they told you about I would question the shop... in a case like that I would prefer to show the customer the damage in person... at 60 hrs you are indeed due for a top end rebuild... if it turns out the head and cam are ok and not damaged and you’re trying to be cost effective have whatever shop you end up finding check the valve condition... at 60hrs you could probably get by with just a new piston (as long as the cylinder bore’s ok) and a cam chain... But since the true hours are unknown it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to have the valve seats recut and install new valves and springs... Also, if you plan on keeping the bike for awhile I would recommend to replace the oem valves with stainless valves (require heavier valve springs, but in turn you end up with longer valve life)... I wish I could steer you in the direction of a good shop out there but I can’t... hope some of this information is useful to you...
10/17/2018 12:21pm
JDMobesity wrote:
I bought the bike used about 2 years ago and the owner claimed that the motor had never been rebuilt and had a total of 60...
What they said may be possible... however, if they reassembled your bike after the damage they told you about I would question the shop... in a...
What they said may be possible... however, if they reassembled your bike after the damage they told you about I would question the shop... in a case like that I would prefer to show the customer the damage in person... at 60 hrs you are indeed due for a top end rebuild... if it turns out the head and cam are ok and not damaged and you’re trying to be cost effective have whatever shop you end up finding check the valve condition... at 60hrs you could probably get by with just a new piston (as long as the cylinder bore’s ok) and a cam chain... But since the true hours are unknown it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to have the valve seats recut and install new valves and springs... Also, if you plan on keeping the bike for awhile I would recommend to replace the oem valves with stainless valves (require heavier valve springs, but in turn you end up with longer valve life)... I wish I could steer you in the direction of a good shop out there but I can’t... hope some of this information is useful to you...
It might be worth noting that they did include some photos (attached). I was getting the valves adjusted after the inspection but when they opened the motor up this is when they found the apparent problem. They didn't mention anything about the condition of the valves so I assumed that they were fine. I'm close to clueless when it comes to anything with the motor in these machines, still learning. Anyways, I really appreciate the help! Thank you.

Post a reply to: 250f rebuild help/shops near Vancouver, BC?

The Latest