2023 KTM 125SX 250sx 300sx deep dive EFI tune, mods, mapping, exploring the tech *YoutTube videos added* *Facebook Group added*

Edited Date/Time 12/26/2022 12:50pm

So I picked up a new 23’ KTM 125 last night and since this engine and the EFI system is all new for 23’, I’m going to be doing a breakdown of the engine and what’s going on inside of it.
Some of the points I am going to go over are the TPS circuit, the EFI circuit, the PV, and basically explore the tech inside.

Some of these talking points will translate directly over to the 250/300sx as well since it shares the same tech.
This is going to be a fun project for this winter, a video series would probably be best as that’s the way things are done now.

I’m going to start with going over the bike and pointing out some features and also start with a brand new engine, compression check bone stock, and most likely a dyno run to document what this motor makes out of the crate. Do some mods and then do some more dyno runs.

I don't think there will be many tuners willing to share secrets and post them, or advances in engine solutions, so I love to do this as part of passion for 2 stroke engines.

Stay tuned and let the bashing begin lol.

https://www.youtube.com/@godguitarsgunsandgoats691/videos

https://www.facebook.com/groups/709915283880183

|
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
11/16/2022 6:37am
Post up the video links, I'd love to learn more about the new EFI pingers.
sandman768
11/16/2022 7:35am
Nice…. Are you going to put a few hrs on it first to get the stock baseline settings?
11/16/2022 7:48am
Sandman - probably but not sure when some stock track tests will able to happen as we are the end of the season here and the cold rain and snow is upon us, I’m in CT.
The stock dyno runs will be a good sign of what is there and we will be able to compare the before and after mods of that.
The first part of this will just be more of a familiarizing the new tech and discovering any issues and documenting the findings.
I want to check squish clearance, initial TPS voltage, compression, analyze the PV, etc.
Some may find it useful, boring, or both..lol I just wanna do it bc I’m super into this stuff and am a geek about how and why things work.
The engine tuner in me wants to tear into the motor and port it, cut the head, etc but as far as I can tell that would be a very bad idea bc of the EFI.
This is bc the parameters of the ECU tune are considered like a closed system where the ECU doesnt have the ability to correct for changes that have been made to effect the volumetric efficiency of the motor..it doesn’t get “feedback” from the changes on the fly it can only really monitor air temp and AF ratio.
For ex) if I cut the head down to increase the compression the ECU won’t know that and just continue to feed the engine what it would normally push thinking it’s the same when it is not.
Anytime you port a motor, or head work, you have changed the tune of the motor and adjustment is needed, bigger or smaller jets, or in the 4 stroke world, an aftermarket ECU tune is common as there are small fuel trim dials to send or restrict fuel in the low-mid-high rpm range.
This ECU does not have any flex tuning available so head mods, porting, etc may make the engine run lean and hot real quick after the mods.
Kinda wordy but hopefully I made a point to it.
More soon-
FWYT
11/16/2022 12:06pm
SWEET!

Looking forward to this. Much thanks for your efforts.

The Shop

FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/16/2022 5:32pm
How/why are the silencers so small on these new EFI bikes? Is there some logical explanation for it?
lumpy790
11/16/2022 10:03pm
FGR01 wrote:
How/why are the silencers so small on these new EFI bikes? Is there some logical explanation for it?
Because its a 2 stroke?
11/17/2022 2:56am
FGR01 wrote:
The silencer is designed to be in tune with the pipe so KTM came up what they feel was a good set up for it with regard to core size, length, etc.

MX707#
11/17/2022 8:00am
Can't wait to see u build this thing ! If you ever need a test rider to ring its neck in the spring ill be available Whistling
11/17/2022 12:42pm
MX707# wrote:
Can't wait to see u build this thing ! If you ever need a test rider to ring its neck in the spring ill be available...
Can't wait to see u build this thing ! If you ever need a test rider to ring its neck in the spring ill be available Whistling
Hahahah you can but not Woodsy
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/17/2022 5:33pm
FGR01 wrote:
The silencer is designed to be in tune with the pipe so KTM came up what they feel was a good set up for it with...
The silencer is designed to be in tune with the pipe so KTM came up what they feel was a good set up for it with regard to core size, length, etc.

Yeah, that's the case with every bike. I guess I should have worded this differently. The silencers on these EFI 2-strokes are notably smaller than the silencers on equivalent carb'd 2-strokes, yet the bikes are not loud(er). Is there some fundamental, technical difference between the carb'd bikes and the EFI bikes that allows such a smaller silencer?
11/17/2022 5:46pm
I think it may be the core size, not sure but from what I have heard, the high rpm pull signs off a hair early.
Kinda like when you run a shorty, the typical longer silencers have more upper rpm pull so I will measure up the stock set up and the FMF I have coming.
11/17/2022 7:11pm
I think it may be the core size, not sure but from what I have heard, the high rpm pull signs off a hair early. Kinda...
I think it may be the core size, not sure but from what I have heard, the high rpm pull signs off a hair early.
Kinda like when you run a shorty, the typical longer silencers have more upper rpm pull so I will measure up the stock set up and the FMF I have coming.
What is the stock core diameter?
Bruce372
11/17/2022 8:23pm
I think ktm are making silencers shorter but wider.

Definitely the case on the 450, the fmf on the Rockstar sticks out an inch further than stock
11/18/2022 4:05am
I think it may be the core size, not sure but from what I have heard, the high rpm pull signs off a hair early. Kinda...
What is the stock core diameter?
I'm not sure yet, I bought it and put it away, been slammed with "life" stuff, my wife was in the hospital, kid stuff, etc..I will soon- J
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/19/2022 5:47am
It takes some time to process after uploading to YT. Should be HD soon.
DynoDan22
11/19/2022 6:33am
Looking forward to more videos! I’m really curious how the TBI is going to work on the small bore bikes. I’ve heard some feedback that some people are having issues with the bike cutting out or abruptly falling flat on top. Hopefully yours doesn’t have that issue but curious what’s causing it. Thanks again for documenting all of this!
11/19/2022 7:12am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2022 7:14am
DynoDan22 wrote:
Looking forward to more videos! I’m really curious how the TBI is going to work on the small bore bikes. I’ve heard some feedback that some...
Looking forward to more videos! I’m really curious how the TBI is going to work on the small bore bikes. I’ve heard some feedback that some people are having issues with the bike cutting out or abruptly falling flat on top. Hopefully yours doesn’t have that issue but curious what’s causing it. Thanks again for documenting all of this!
This why I wanted to get stuff on record too keep the info as a learning tool. As with carbs in the past, you would write down the jets you had in it and adjust as needed. This one is TPS voltage and the EFI circuit. Hopefully we can learn together!

I have a pipeset and reeds coming and from what FMF and VForce really wake up the mid-top. We will see!
DynoDan22
11/19/2022 7:44am
Good stuff! I can’t wait to see the PV setup and the “wake up” connector. I’m assuming the wake up connector activates the servo motor and resets the PV end points. Odd that Vortex isn’t going to release an ignition for these to trim fueling. These TBI bikes are going to be super popular and I’d assume they would sell a ton of ECU’s but what do I know. Haha

On a side note, I’d be curious to see how the chain slack is when shipped from the factory. The lower swingarm pivot on the ‘23’s requires more slack and I’ve seen a few new KTM’s shipped with the chain too tight. Might be cool to remove the shock and see what the optimal chain slack is. I was looking at the manual for the 300’s and it still listed the older chain slack value (pre ‘23) but I believe there’s a sticker in the airbox showing the updated measurement.
11/19/2022 9:08am
DynoDan22 wrote:
Good stuff! I can’t wait to see the PV setup and the “wake up” connector. I’m assuming the wake up connector activates the servo motor and...
Good stuff! I can’t wait to see the PV setup and the “wake up” connector. I’m assuming the wake up connector activates the servo motor and resets the PV end points. Odd that Vortex isn’t going to release an ignition for these to trim fueling. These TBI bikes are going to be super popular and I’d assume they would sell a ton of ECU’s but what do I know. Haha

On a side note, I’d be curious to see how the chain slack is when shipped from the factory. The lower swingarm pivot on the ‘23’s requires more slack and I’ve seen a few new KTM’s shipped with the chain too tight. Might be cool to remove the shock and see what the optimal chain slack is. I was looking at the manual for the 300’s and it still listed the older chain slack value (pre ‘23) but I believe there’s a sticker in the airbox showing the updated measurement.
Yeah strange place for the chain spec inside the airbox lol.
The wake up connector is just that it plugs into a dongle and will reset the parameters of the pv open/closed..mine was laying in the bag they gave me.
more soon! Thx
wrc777
Fantasy
587th
11/19/2022 4:33pm
Yeah strange place for the chain spec inside the airbox lol. The wake up connector is just that it plugs into a dongle and will reset...
Yeah strange place for the chain spec inside the airbox lol.
The wake up connector is just that it plugs into a dongle and will reset the parameters of the pv open/closed..mine was laying in the bag they gave me.
more soon! Thx
Ktm has been putting the chain slack in the air box for a long time. It is the only protected place on the bike that you can get to with no tools.
Bearuno
11/20/2022 6:23am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2022 9:38pm
As DynoDan22 wrote, it's bloody Odd that Vortex , according to JBone, are not going to do ECUs for the FI 2ts.

Seems a market to pursue, but, maybe they've enough on with 4ts?

They'll be leaving it to GET, and all the others to make money. FI 2ts are not going away.

Sure they may be more difficult a thing to do ( I've no idea if there are more sensors etc on the 2ts, but, of course you've the faster / more often / shorter fueling 'times') , but, I can't see why you'd not do something that enables tuning. The 4t systems on Dirt Bikes aren't particularly 'intelligent', either.

Other vendors will pick up the slack, I'm sure of it. It wasn't instantaneous when 4ts went EFI, either.
YZed250
11/21/2022 8:55am
Love your approach to breaking this thing down!
11/21/2022 9:03am
YZed250 wrote:
Love your approach to breaking this thing down!
Thank you! Just a blue collar straight at it no bs secrets or snake oil lol...just want to help. J

Post a reply to: 2023 KTM 125SX 250sx 300sx deep dive EFI tune, mods, mapping, exploring the tech *YoutTube videos added* *Facebook Group added*

The Latest