2022 FC450 AER fork oil height

NeedMoto
Edited Date/Time 9/26/2021 3:23pm
I'm running 133psi, still have 2" of travel left. The less I go on psi to try and get full travel, or at least an inch more out of it, the stiffer i need to go on compression to get hold up. Then it starts feeling harsh at that point.

I've played with clickers front to back, still 2" from bottoming.

I'm 183 body weight, old dude slow (61) but still ride all the regular moto tracks, and do most of the jumps, and am going faster than 1st gear Lol.

Curious if any of you have lowered your oil heights from stock?

For those of you close to my body weight, what real world PSI are you running?

I think the 2021 would apply for those of you on that year, pretty sure the valving didn't change much.

Thanks!
|
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/25/2021 7:43pm
Something is weird. I think you've ran down the rabbit hole of too low pressure and too much compression damping.

Set it at 158 psi and open those clickers up. Go back to the stock clicker settings as a starting point or try about 15/15.

I'm running the stock oil volume in both of my Huskies.

Also, don't expect to get the travel indicator rings all the way too the bottom. When tuned in the ballpark, seems about1.5" remaining is pretty good.

Also, sag. Check before and after the fork adjustments and keep it around 105. It affects bias and fork performance a lot.
9/25/2021 8:12pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2021 8:45pm
NeedMoto wrote:
I'm running 133psi, still have 2" of travel left. The less I go on psi to try and get full travel, or at least an inch...
I'm running 133psi, still have 2" of travel left. The less I go on psi to try and get full travel, or at least an inch more out of it, the stiffer i need to go on compression to get hold up. Then it starts feeling harsh at that point.

I've played with clickers front to back, still 2" from bottoming.

I'm 183 body weight, old dude slow (61) but still ride all the regular moto tracks, and do most of the jumps, and am going faster than 1st gear Lol.

Curious if any of you have lowered your oil heights from stock?

For those of you close to my body weight, what real world PSI are you running?

I think the 2021 would apply for those of you on that year, pretty sure the valving didn't change much.

Thanks!
Have your forks been broken in or are they still brand new? They can take up to 7 hours to break in and start moving freely. Find a setting that feels comfortable and not worry so much about full travel as much. The fork picture was when my bike was brand new I could not for the life of me get it lower I tried 160-180 psi but fork ring always showed the same height but at 160 it felt like i was bottoming more. I just ended up using higher psi because it felt better.

Oooooooooor just come up short on a big triple and make use of all that suspension!

Sandusky26
9/26/2021 1:49am
I quit worrying so much about getting full travel, seems like it makes it too soft for bigger bumps, I work on making it stiff enough for the rough track without losing feel in the corners.
NeedMoto
9/26/2021 7:19am
Great advice from all that chimed in!

FGR01 your correct, the rabbit hole is getting deep. Gonna claw my way back out and go back to original recommended PSI and settings.

Whiechape, I've got 8 hrs on them. Your right, I'm gonna ditch the need to get full travel, and go with best feel. Might even try coming up short on the triple to test it outWoohoo

Sandusky, I'm with ya on your approach, and will work towards feel, rather than travelCool

The Shop

gscx
9/26/2021 3:23pm
Wouldn't it be better to take 5cc of oil out and use the rest of the travel? There is no point in wasting 15mm of travel for no reason. Then you could run a higher air volume and keep it from getting harsh in the chop.

Post a reply to: 2022 FC450 AER fork oil height

The Latest