2021 Xact suspension settings and set ups

Tuna
Edited Date/Time 5/22/2022 1:13pm
Just thought I would start a 21 set up thread and see what people are using for settings.

I am at around 9 hours on forks.

The 21 fork seems to feel better than the 20 but still struggles in roots, rocks and square edge hits.
Pretty nice and plush in smoother terrain. I ride mostly woods, HS and the occasional MX track day.

Fork and shock for me feels a little unbalanced.

Bike is a 21 TX300. I am 175lb no gear.

Sag is set at 105.

Still running the standard WP settings from the manual.

I have been at 138psi pressure. Went for a ride yesterday, rooty rocky single track And whooped out 4th gear double track.
Forks were pretty far off the standard 1.5 inch travel from the bottom.

I am going to put another couple hours on them and start to adjust clickers. I run standard Nitro mousses. Hoping to get it to the MX track on Saturday.

Over the winter I’m planning on having Smart Performance built me some kits for forks and shock.

|
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
9/23/2020 8:52am
I think ktm specifies the 45nm rear spring for your weight. I think the bike has a 42nm stock. That should put a little more weight on the fork. Try opening up the compression clickers on the fork. That helped my 2020 fork a lot. In fact I ran them all the way open. I opened the rebound a couple clicks in the shock too. That suspension will keep getting smoother and smoother up to 20 hours too.
Tuna
9/23/2020 9:03am
wrc777 wrote:
I think ktm specifies the 45nm rear spring for your weight. I think the bike has a 42nm stock. That should put a little more weight...
I think ktm specifies the 45nm rear spring for your weight. I think the bike has a 42nm stock. That should put a little more weight on the fork. Try opening up the compression clickers on the fork. That helped my 2020 fork a lot. In fact I ran them all the way open. I opened the rebound a couple clicks in the shock too. That suspension will keep getting smoother and smoother up to 20 hours too.
Thanks. When I put my info into the Race Tech calculator it came up as the stock rear spring rate. I have heard of a few people that went up one rate in the rear and felt it balanced the suspension out a little more.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1205th
9/23/2020 9:55am
Why are you running a tip-tie on the fork tube? The o-rings (currently bottomed out on both sides) are there for that!
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
9/23/2020 10:01am
wrc777 wrote:
I think ktm specifies the 45nm rear spring for your weight. I think the bike has a 42nm stock. That should put a little more weight...
Tuna wrote:
Thanks. When I put my info into the Race Tech calculator it came up as the stock rear spring rate. I have heard of a few...
Thanks. When I put my info into the Race Tech calculator it came up as the stock rear spring rate. I have heard of a few people that went up one rate in the rear and felt it balanced the suspension out a little more.
KTM shows the rate in owners manual I think but it is based on total rider weight with gear. 207 or so is upper end for the 45 spring if I remember correctly on a 300xc, and I bet you are close to the middle of ktms recommendation. Looks like you are in the middle of rates on Racetech calculator. It may not be close enough to mess with.

Make sure your sag is set right. You also may not have hit anything to really mash the front end down. It is not the end of the world if you have 1.5" travel left. Don't worry you will find a trail obstacle where you use it all and wish there was more travel left.

The Shop

Tuna
9/23/2020 10:35am
wrc777 wrote:
Tuna wrote:
Thanks. When I put my info into the Race Tech calculator it came up as the stock rear spring rate. I have heard of a few...
wrc777 wrote:
KTM shows the rate in owners manual I think but it is based on total rider weight with gear. 207 or so is upper end for...
KTM shows the rate in owners manual I think but it is based on total rider weight with gear. 207 or so is upper end for the 45 spring if I remember correctly on a 300xc, and I bet you are close to the middle of ktms recommendation. Looks like you are in the middle of rates on Racetech calculator. It may not be close enough to mess with.

Make sure your sag is set right. You also may not have hit anything to really mash the front end down. It is not the end of the world if you have 1.5" travel left. Don't worry you will find a trail obstacle where you use it all and wish there was more travel left.
It’s pretty close for sure. I’m a little heavy right now, I’m normally 165 to 170lbs.
My gear is 15lb depending on how much liquid is in my pack. Sag was set when bike was delivered at 105. I will recheck in 10 hours.

I have to teach a course at my buddies track this weekend so I will get a chance to hit some jumps and get some flat landings as well. I have not really had a big drop on the bike yet. I’m heading out now for a couple hours of woods riding. I’m going to ride some faster 4th and 5th gear stuff today.

I appreciate the input!
Tuna
9/23/2020 10:36am
Luxon MX wrote:
Why are you running a tip-tie on the fork tube? The o-rings (currently bottomed out on both sides) are there for that!
They are a pain in the dick to move😂
They are tight as shit.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
9/23/2020 10:37am
Check your sag now. I would be surprised if it isn’t closer to 110. Springs definitely break in.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1205th
9/23/2020 10:44am
Tuna wrote:
They are tight as shit.
Really? That's annoying. Cut em off then and put a new one on that's easier to move. You can stretch it over the fork lug, so no need to disassemble the forks. Zip ties always make me cringe... This one works well:

https://www.mcmaster.com/9262K206/
Tuna
9/23/2020 11:18am
Tuna wrote:
They are tight as shit.
Luxon MX wrote:
Really? That's annoying. Cut em off then and put a new one on that's easier to move. You can stretch it over the fork lug, so...
Really? That's annoying. Cut em off then and put a new one on that's easier to move. You can stretch it over the fork lug, so no need to disassemble the forks. Zip ties always make me cringe... This one works well:

https://www.mcmaster.com/9262K206/
Thanks!
Bruce372
9/25/2020 8:01am
Have you got a spec sheet for rhe fork settings? On the older aer forks, I think the 4 strokes came with a mid valve but at least the smoker I had came with a check plate.

On my new 2020.5 xact forks, it has a really nice midvalve setup thats much more tuenable now and only small shims changes made them loads better without getting mushy.

You can also lower outer oil level as well... i tjink they still rely on outer oil for bottoming just like a spring fork
Tuna
9/25/2020 10:14am
Bruce372 wrote:
Have you got a spec sheet for rhe fork settings? On the older aer forks, I think the 4 strokes came with a mid valve but...
Have you got a spec sheet for rhe fork settings? On the older aer forks, I think the 4 strokes came with a mid valve but at least the smoker I had came with a check plate.

On my new 2020.5 xact forks, it has a really nice midvalve setup thats much more tuenable now and only small shims changes made them loads better without getting mushy.

You can also lower outer oil level as well... i tjink they still rely on outer oil for bottoming just like a spring fork
Yes, same fork. My suspension guy told me to try 20ml lower in one leg.
Tuna
9/25/2020 5:06pm

I stopped in my usual suspension set up riding area today, it’s about 4 hours from where I live. Really struggled again with settings. Smooth on trail trash and junk but harsh on square edge and roots and rocks higher than an inch or 2. Hit the mini sand track and was shocked at how harsh slap downs were and flat landings. Used up most of the fork travel today, was at about 1.5 inches from the bottom. No big jumps really, they were fairly small. Track was beat to crap and rain rutted.
Tried going way out on fork clickers as many suggested. Gave me a tiny bit more comfort At the expense of traction and control. No doubt part of my struggle is going from 4T to 2T.

I am riding a clay track tomorrow, they groomed it tonight. If usually gets sun baked and fairly smooth.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
9/25/2020 5:52pm
Try more air pressure. I know it sounds counter intuitive but sometimes getting it to ride higher in the stroke makes it less harsh. I think the Sx/tc bikes use a lot more pressure than the fx and xc. I thought my ‘20 was better in sand and track riding than trail. Trail riding just wore out my arms unless I ran compression clickers all the way out.

Next step either get it revalved or spring cartridges. Lucky or kyb. At least with the ‘21 midvalve more tuners may be able to figure it out since it is more like the Japanese forks.
Tuna
9/25/2020 6:33pm
My elbows are roached.
I’ve been thinking about bumping it up to 145.
Grouper
3/8/2022 7:17am
resurrecting this. Hoping for some discussion about XACT settings. I want to preface with the bike has about one hour on it so things will change, but I want to see if anyone else is having trouble with harsh initial stroke, particularly with the front wheel "slapping" on landings. Any tips and setups are appreciated. Just looking to learn and gain some direction.

2022 MC350f
148 PSI
5.0 Rear spring rate
Stock Clickers
Sag: like 100 (dont ask.. oops)
205lb, 250B/250 Open/college
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
3/8/2022 8:07am
Your rear spring is heavy for your weight. Per ktm it should probably be a 4.7 or 4.8. That might be putting a little extra force into the fork. The forks will break in some but it will always have more sting than a kyb or showa spring fork. The gasgas clamps should help a little. The stock handlebar is a big part of the problem. A Protaper evo (mx race is the ktm stock bend) or acf will take away some sting. Renthal fatbar will too but not as much as the Protaper.
Change the bar first and then maybe the rear spring. You are bleeding the forks at the start of the day right?
swordfish
3/8/2022 8:16am
Grouper wrote:
resurrecting this. Hoping for some discussion about XACT settings. I want to preface with the bike has about one hour on it so things will change...
resurrecting this. Hoping for some discussion about XACT settings. I want to preface with the bike has about one hour on it so things will change, but I want to see if anyone else is having trouble with harsh initial stroke, particularly with the front wheel "slapping" on landings. Any tips and setups are appreciated. Just looking to learn and gain some direction.

2022 MC350f
148 PSI
5.0 Rear spring rate
Stock Clickers
Sag: like 100 (dont ask.. oops)
205lb, 250B/250 Open/college
Re spring the rear before you do anything else.
Simple revalve will make those forks so much better
I kept having seal issues with my air side so I ended up just installing a set of Luckies. The stock fork settings work pretty good for MX, especially smoother tracks without a lot of square edge and braking bumps. For woods, they are pretty harsh and deflect a lot in rocks or square edge over an inch and a half.
Grouper
3/8/2022 9:03am
Thanks for the responses! So I got the spring rate from race-techs calculator, and then went down two rates from that. I got a similar recommendation from FC. So, I probably won't go for the spring just yet since it's $100 a hit. I'll check the bazaar too. I could even try the OEM spring.

I am bleeding the forks and setting the pressure that day and ensuring accuracy. It's interesting because the forks feel great except for the "sting" like WRC said, which is the perfect descriptor.

Tell me more about the stock Neken bars please. Are they known to be stiff? I was going to pick up a new set of bars soon anyways. I did fill the Nekens with Right Stuff foam, I felt like it made a difference on my YZ so I did it again.

Other solutions/fine tuning I am going to do is to re check and torque the triple clamp bolts, and make sure my sag is spot on. I don't want to come off the air pressure because then I cannot push the bike and I lose my margin of error for overjumping stuff.
Grouper
3/8/2022 9:24am
Also, am I understanding that for a revalve procedure, I would only remove and send off the right fork leg since that is where the valving is? Lifelong Jap bike owner in case it isn't obvious.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
3/8/2022 1:15pm
Yes all the damping is in the right leg. Check with whoever is doing your suspension, but they should just need the damper leg.

Either you trust the ktm or race tech spring calculator. I have read you need to use race tech valving in conjunction with their spring rate. They spec super low rates on fork springs for instance. For instance a new kx450 gets consistently dinged in reviews for needing stiffer fork springs. Racetech says to go one rate softer. It is certainly worth trying the stock spring to see if it helps although it is at least one rate too soft for you based on the manual.

Yes the neken bar is stiff. You will feel it most in slap down landings and little high speed bumps like roots and rocks although the changes in the forks from 2021 on helped on both of those conditions.
Grouper
3/9/2022 6:06am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2022 6:12am
wrc777 wrote:
Yes all the damping is in the right leg. Check with whoever is doing your suspension, but they should just need the damper leg. Either you...
Yes all the damping is in the right leg. Check with whoever is doing your suspension, but they should just need the damper leg.

Either you trust the ktm or race tech spring calculator. I have read you need to use race tech valving in conjunction with their spring rate. They spec super low rates on fork springs for instance. For instance a new kx450 gets consistently dinged in reviews for needing stiffer fork springs. Racetech says to go one rate softer. It is certainly worth trying the stock spring to see if it helps although it is at least one rate too soft for you based on the manual.

Yes the neken bar is stiff. You will feel it most in slap down landings and little high speed bumps like roots and rocks although the changes in the forks from 2021 on helped on both of those conditions.
Thanks a ton, I appreciate it. So, being objective, do you think that the stiff spring accounts for a little of the issue, or a lot of the issue? Would this be your first priority? The problem with the spring deal is at my home track (west KY mx) there are basically zero bumps, zero chop, and no whoops. Just floaty jumps. There is no "pushing" here so what feels good here will be soft elsewhere. I want to get down to AL soon and ride some faster harsher tracks to get a real feel.

I also have the bars from my YZ250 sitting inside and I might try them before spending the coin on fresh ones. I think they're unbranded Contour bars maybe? I doubt they are evos. Let me know if you have the answer, I have no clue.

On a similar route, would you think that something like PHDS would be beneficial or am I 'straining out a gnat' when I should be spending my money on a revalve come ~10 hours? Cost of living is gnarly so I'm not trying to be cheap, just really direct in my approach.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
3/9/2022 6:26am
wrc777 wrote:
Yes all the damping is in the right leg. Check with whoever is doing your suspension, but they should just need the damper leg. Either you...

Grouper wrote:
Thanks a ton, I appreciate it. So, being objective, do you think that the stiff spring accounts for a little of the issue, or a lot...
Thanks a ton, I appreciate it. So, being objective, do you think that the stiff spring accounts for a little of the issue, or a lot of the issue? Would this be your first priority? The problem with the spring deal is at my home track (west KY mx) there are basically zero bumps, zero chop, and no whoops. Just floaty jumps. There is no "pushing" here so what feels good here will be soft elsewhere. I want to get down to AL soon and ride some faster harsher tracks to get a real feel.

I also have the bars from my YZ250 sitting inside and I might try them before spending the coin on fresh ones. I think they're unbranded Contour bars maybe? I doubt they are evos. Let me know if you have the answer, I have no clue.

On a similar route, would you think that something like PHDS would be beneficial or am I 'straining out a gnat' when I should be spending my money on a revalve come ~10 hours? Cost of living is gnarly so I'm not trying to be cheap, just really direct in my approach.
I am a fan of trying free stuff. I would definitely try the Yamaha bars. I never tried those back to back against the Evo bar but it only takes a little time to try them. I don’t know how sensitive the rear spring rate is to your issue. Going too soft on the rear might be just as bad as too stiff. You might try reducing (or increasing?) the rear compression through the clickers just to see if it helps that specific issue.

It is probably worthwhile to call your suspension guy and see what rear spring he recommends. I would also call some suspension guys and see what they recommend. They might say you need a revalve or maybe something else. Pro tune in Ohio had pretty reasonable fork revalve prices when I checked 18 months ago and he seemed to have a lot of experience with the different replacement cartridge options. You can also play with fork pressure a bit. Resist the temptation to try super low pressures.

I have my doubts as to how much phds will help but I have never tried it. I think it is more for engine vibration. A flexx bar might be more what you are looking for.

Ultimately you are probably going to have to pay for a revalve if that is the problem. If I liked how it handled everywhere else I might just live with it. My 150sx has some sting. It is worse than a showa fork, but I can deal with it. The gasgas is supposedly better than the ktm in that regard.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
3/9/2022 6:30am
One more thing about the rear spring. A general rule is you need a revalve on the shock if you deviate more than one spring rate in either direction from stock. The rebound valving is going to be soft for your spring. I don’t know if that is causing your specific issue but it is probably causing other handling issues.
Grouper
3/9/2022 10:08am
wrc777 wrote:

Grouper wrote:
Thanks a ton, I appreciate it. So, being objective, do you think that the stiff spring accounts for a little of the issue, or a lot...

wrc777 wrote:
I am a fan of trying free stuff. I would definitely try the Yamaha bars. I never tried those back to back against the Evo bar...
I am a fan of trying free stuff. I would definitely try the Yamaha bars. I never tried those back to back against the Evo bar but it only takes a little time to try them. I don’t know how sensitive the rear spring rate is to your issue. Going too soft on the rear might be just as bad as too stiff. You might try reducing (or increasing?) the rear compression through the clickers just to see if it helps that specific issue.

It is probably worthwhile to call your suspension guy and see what rear spring he recommends. I would also call some suspension guys and see what they recommend. They might say you need a revalve or maybe something else. Pro tune in Ohio had pretty reasonable fork revalve prices when I checked 18 months ago and he seemed to have a lot of experience with the different replacement cartridge options. You can also play with fork pressure a bit. Resist the temptation to try super low pressures.

I have my doubts as to how much phds will help but I have never tried it. I think it is more for engine vibration. A flexx bar might be more what you are looking for.

Ultimately you are probably going to have to pay for a revalve if that is the problem. If I liked how it handled everywhere else I might just live with it. My 150sx has some sting. It is worse than a showa fork, but I can deal with it. The gasgas is supposedly better than the ktm in that regard.
totally agree about the spring rate and revalve. In the past on my YZ, I just ran it with the intent to fix it later but then I bought this. I guess I want to get plenty of use out of it this summer then probably have some pretty specific stuff done when it's cold again. Maybe a quick turn around single fork revalve will make it good for now, then make it great over winter. I've never had super custom suspension so I think it's about time anyways.
I'll start with the lowest hanging fruit: handlebars. I can do this trackside and test back to back without my ruts even changing which is nice.

Did your 150 break in and improve? How would you quantify the improvement?
Did it get better in the small chop? I'm afraid its going to beat my hands off the grips on a rough track lol.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
3/9/2022 10:30am
My 150 was bought with 20 hours on it so I can’t say. My 300 was new and the suspension smoothed out a lot by 5-10 hours but it kept getting plusher out to 20-25 hours.
suspensionguy
Fantasy
2001st
3/9/2022 11:46am
wrc777 wrote:
Your rear spring is heavy for your weight. Per ktm it should probably be a 4.7 or 4.8. That might be putting a little extra force...
Your rear spring is heavy for your weight. Per ktm it should probably be a 4.7 or 4.8. That might be putting a little extra force into the fork. The forks will break in some but it will always have more sting than a kyb or showa spring fork. The gasgas clamps should help a little. The stock handlebar is a big part of the problem. A Protaper evo (mx race is the ktm stock bend) or acf will take away some sting. Renthal fatbar will too but not as much as the Protaper.
Change the bar first and then maybe the rear spring. You are bleeding the forks at the start of the day right?
Grouper can you remove any preload off the spring? I’m actually surprised you’re only getting 100mm of sag, I’m the same weight and running a 4.8, and have been wanting to try a 4.9 or 5.0 due to the amount of pre-load I need to put on the 4.8.

Unfortunately IMO the front end slapping feeling is the air, the only way to correct it is a spring conversion. That has been my biggest complaint with the AER forks. The slap and initial harness drove me crazy, chased it with valving and finally cured it with spring conversions.

I also have seen the air spring cartridge needing additional lube as a set of mine was sticking from the factory and would not compress or rebound with out sticking. It was so bad that you could hear it.
Grouper
3/9/2022 12:18pm
wrc777 wrote:
Your rear spring is heavy for your weight. Per ktm it should probably be a 4.7 or 4.8. That might be putting a little extra force...
Grouper can you remove any preload off the spring? I’m actually surprised you’re only getting 100mm of sag, I’m the same weight and running a 4.8...
Grouper can you remove any preload off the spring? I’m actually surprised you’re only getting 100mm of sag, I’m the same weight and running a 4.8, and have been wanting to try a 4.9 or 5.0 due to the amount of pre-load I need to put on the 4.8.

Unfortunately IMO the front end slapping feeling is the air, the only way to correct it is a spring conversion. That has been my biggest complaint with the AER forks. The slap and initial harness drove me crazy, chased it with valving and finally cured it with spring conversions.

I also have seen the air spring cartridge needing additional lube as a set of mine was sticking from the factory and would not compress or rebound with out sticking. It was so bad that you could hear it.
I'll definitely be doing some inspecting then. What are some signs that I'm having hyper stiction like that? Aside from the obvious.

The deal with the sag is kind of screwy.. I set my sag and accidentally measured the 105mm/4.125" from full droop and not from static sag. So the sag was set from sitting on the stand from sitting on the ground with me on it. When I realized that I was in my gear about to go ride it for the first time so I just loosened it up about one turn and ran it. I was just breaking it in anyways, riding slow. I'm going to re-do it all this week or weekend since the weather sucks. There's a fair amount of preload left too so I believe I can get it set. I spoke with FC over lunch and they also recommended a 5.2.

What are the options for spring conversions? Is it drop in cartridges? One-off work? Typical pricing? I have truly no clue so be detailed if you want. I'm kind of discouraged because I truly would have bought a Suzuki for 6k if I thought I was going to turn around and sink a lot of money back into a bike. I was hoping to buy the right shock spring and go rip ):
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
3/9/2022 12:28pm
Race sag is measured from full droop. Static is a way to check that your spring rate is in the ball park.

Lucky has inserts (~$1k I think). There are retrofit kyb inserts( $2k last I checked). Wp has cartridges for $1300 plus $130 for springs. Racetech and I think wp also had or have single side spring conversions that just replace the air cartridge.
swordfish
3/9/2022 12:37pm
I’ll 2nd Corey at Protune. Best to text him. Let me know if you want his number. The XACT forks really need a good 15 to 20 hours to break in. The new mid set up makes them much easier to tune. Corey charges $200 for a shock service and revalve.
He normally recommends the WP 6500 carts over Luckies as he feels the component quality is better and it’s a closed chamber set up vs the open Lucky kit. The Lucky carbons have been discontinued and replaced with the new Blackjacks.
suspensionguy
Fantasy
2001st
3/9/2022 1:02pm
wrc777 wrote:
Grouper can you remove any preload off the spring? I’m actually surprised you’re only getting 100mm of sag, I’m the same weight and running a 4.8...

Grouper wrote:
I'll definitely be doing some inspecting then. What are some signs that I'm having hyper stiction like that? Aside from the obvious. The deal with the...
I'll definitely be doing some inspecting then. What are some signs that I'm having hyper stiction like that? Aside from the obvious.

The deal with the sag is kind of screwy.. I set my sag and accidentally measured the 105mm/4.125" from full droop and not from static sag. So the sag was set from sitting on the stand from sitting on the ground with me on it. When I realized that I was in my gear about to go ride it for the first time so I just loosened it up about one turn and ran it. I was just breaking it in anyways, riding slow. I'm going to re-do it all this week or weekend since the weather sucks. There's a fair amount of preload left too so I believe I can get it set. I spoke with FC over lunch and they also recommended a 5.2.

What are the options for spring conversions? Is it drop in cartridges? One-off work? Typical pricing? I have truly no clue so be detailed if you want. I'm kind of discouraged because I truly would have bought a Suzuki for 6k if I thought I was going to turn around and sink a lot of money back into a bike. I was hoping to buy the right shock spring and go rip ):
If you pull the air chamber out of the left fork and compress it you’ll be able to tell if it has any issues. It should compress and extend smoothly. Mine was so bad on the compression stroke you could hear it catch and would have to forcefully compress it.

You measured your sag correctly. “Race sag” is the difference between on the stand and with the rider mounted. “Static sag” is how much sag the bike has from its own weight, too much static and the spring is too light, too little and the spring is too heavy.

105 is a pretty ideal starting point, and likely the correct spring.

I have a del soggio spring conversion in one bike and k-tech in another. Using .88kg springs in each. I like the k-tech better, it’s a little more thought-out in its design and simplicity. If you watch here and Facebook you can get used single spring conversions for $250-$400. New they are $500-700.

If you end up parting with that 5.0 I’d buy it from ya

Post a reply to: 2021 Xact suspension settings and set ups

The Latest