2021 KX250XC linkage binding.

h_reed
Edited Date/Time 10/13/2020 8:52am
Just purchased a new KX250XC and while checking the sag was getting drastically different static sag numbers. I also thought to myself that there felt like an extreme amount of rebound damping.
I went ahead and pulled the suspension off to send to the tuner and noticed the I literally could not move the knuckle. I went to pull it apart and had to use a breaker bar to get the nut off.
I went ahead and regressed the bearings and everything looked good. Put it together at the recommended torque specs and again, it is just very tight. I mean, you have the use a lot of force to move it.
I am 55 years old and have owned a lot of bikes and never came across this. If I didn’t no any better, I’d think the bearing sleeve is to short and needs to be shimmed a bit.
Any input would be appreciated. I’m tempted to ride it and see if it loosens up, but you know how that usually works out!
|
JohnMatrix
10/12/2020 10:50pm
I’d be taking the bike back to the dealer before it sees dirt. It sucks but let them sort it out while it’s new and the manufacturer may be made accountable.
LKHill
10/13/2020 6:12am
You could try and isolate the problem by loosening one bolt at a time and checking it. Likely just manufacturing tolerances but you never know if some monkey put it together wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
h_reed
10/13/2020 8:04am
LKHill wrote:
You could try and isolate the problem by loosening one bolt at a time and checking it. Likely just manufacturing tolerances but you never know if...
You could try and isolate the problem by loosening one bolt at a time and checking it. Likely just manufacturing tolerances but you never know if some monkey put it together wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
It’s definitely the top bolt that goes through the swingarm. Torque spec is 44lbs on that bolt. It start getting hard to move at 20lbs and is almost frozen at 44. I’m thinking that the sleeve is to short and it’s squeezing the knuckle. I’m trying to find some shim stock to put under the dust seal and see how that goes.
10/13/2020 8:28am
I don't suppose the sleeve of the swingarm and the sleeve of the exposed linkage are the same or different lengths? Is there any way they could be mixed up?

The Shop

LKHill
10/13/2020 8:51am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2020 8:52am
One bushing is 37mm and the longer one is 49mm, you should be 37mm.

Post a reply to: 2021 KX250XC linkage binding.

The Latest