Looking for some help

2020 crf450 with around 75 hrs on it started making a knocking noise
So far I’ve changed
Cam
Timing chain
Piston/rings
Crank/crank bearings
Valves are in spec
Pulled the whole clutch assembly basket and all from a friends low hour bike still same noise
I’ve looked this engine over and can not for the love of me find what is wrong
I’ve put over a grand in parts into it and don’t even know where to go next
Any help would be appreciated
|
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
1/15/2021 9:31am
I would replace the cam chain tensioner first just to rule that out. The Honda ones are known to fail and go slack at times.

If that doesn't fix it, I suspect you'll have to get back into the bottom end. Possibly the balance shaft bearings or some other bearing.
Rider 5280
1/15/2021 10:24am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2021 10:25am
Cam chain tensioner replacement = excellent idea (and ultra low effort).

The Shop

Abel239
1/15/2021 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2021 4:27pm
Pulled the cam chain tensioner off my buddies bike and tried it... no different
Pulled his whole side cover and tried it (water pump and all) still no different
I’m running out of things to try
The counter balancer bearings along with all the bearings seemed tight and smooth inside the case
Maybe going to try the one way bearing underneath the primary gear tomorrow
Sounds louder on the clutch side near the front of the engine
VPG43
1/16/2021 4:08am
Check the gear which is running your clutchbasket. I replaced my crank to find out later that this gear was pitted severely which caused similar sound. Broke 2 teeth of the basket which caused the pitting, never checked the gear (stupid). Luckily Honda changed the clutch for the 21.
Abel239
1/17/2021 7:08am
VPG43 wrote:
Check the gear which is running your clutchbasket. I replaced my crank to find out later that this gear was pitted severely which caused similar sound...
Check the gear which is running your clutchbasket. I replaced my crank to find out later that this gear was pitted severely which caused similar sound. Broke 2 teeth of the basket which caused the pitting, never checked the gear (stupid). Luckily Honda changed the clutch for the 21.
Honestly man thank you! Can’t believe I did all of that just to find the same thing... swapped my buddies basket and primary gear in and she is fixed !! dm me your PayPal and I’ll buy you lunch lol
yz133rider
1/17/2021 8:19am
Your friend is a saint for letting you tear his bike apart and molest it like that!

They’re only new and assembled from the factory and not effed with once. Would have been a no from me in that situation!
VPG43
1/17/2021 12:10pm
VPG43 wrote:
Check the gear which is running your clutchbasket. I replaced my crank to find out later that this gear was pitted severely which caused similar sound...
Abel239 wrote:
Honestly man thank you! Can’t believe I did all of that just to find the same thing... swapped my buddies basket and primary gear in and...
Honestly man thank you! Can’t believe I did all of that just to find the same thing... swapped my buddies basket and primary gear in and she is fixed !! dm me your PayPal and I’ll buy you lunch lol
👍🏻 We’re here to help each other right? Had the same issue. Really frustrating to hear the engine making the same noice after rebuilding it. But how was your clutch basket? No teeth broken off? That caused the pitting at my bike.
Abel239
1/19/2021 9:25pm
VPG43 wrote:
Abel239 wrote:
Honestly man thank you! Can’t believe I did all of that just to find the same thing... swapped my buddies basket and primary gear in and...
VPG43 wrote:
👍🏻 We’re here to help each other right? Had the same issue. Really frustrating to hear the engine making the same noice after rebuilding it. But...
👍🏻 We’re here to help each other right? Had the same issue. Really frustrating to hear the engine making the same noice after rebuilding it. But how was your clutch basket? No teeth broken off? That caused the pitting at my bike.
Yeah it was driving me nuts!
Clutch basket still looked “good” but I ordered a new one along with the counter balancer gear just because they both run on the primary
Funny thing is I remember vaguely looking at it while I had it apart but it looked fine
Only 4 teeth have wear on them
Seems strange for that part to wear in that way
mike2021
10/10/2021 1:41pm
Abel239 wrote:
VPG43 wrote:
👍🏻 We’re here to help each other right? Had the same issue. Really frustrating to hear the engine making the same noice after rebuilding it. But...
Abel239 wrote:
Yeah it was driving me nuts! Clutch basket still looked “good” but I ordered a new one along with the counter balancer gear just because they...
Yeah it was driving me nuts!
Clutch basket still looked “good” but I ordered a new one along with the counter balancer gear just because they both run on the primary
Funny thing is I remember vaguely looking at it while I had it apart but it looked fine
Only 4 teeth have wear on them
Seems strange for that part to wear in that way
I have a 2019 crf450l. I have 3500 miles on it and i have had this same tick too, it is getting louder now.probably started around 2100miles.
So exactly which gears did you change?
Do you know what caused it ?
Bad heat treating of gear maybe?
i would hate to change it and do it again at 5000.
motoracer58
Fantasy
345th
10/10/2021 4:35pm
Check to make sure the cushions aren't bad in your basket, Grab the gear and see if it as play. I've been having to change the cushions at 15 hours and they are already cracked in all our race engines. Thought it was an issue with the hinson cushions at first but when I swapped a hinson basket into a stock practice engine at 10 hours, the oem cushions were already cracked
mike2021
10/10/2021 4:58pm
Damn that would throw all kinds of trash in the motor and plug every screen. Then it would lose oil pressure and blow. . I will certainly check. That is serious.
mike2021
10/11/2021 4:03pm
i took the clutch cover off and inspected my primary gear it all looks good checked it more than once it a magnifying glass. no pits or marks on it. So can it be my cam chain tensioner ?

Post a reply to: 2020 crf450 engine noise(help please)

The Latest