2020 Kawasaki KX250 leaking oil from the valve cover.

CR92
Edited Date/Time 10/2/2021 4:38pm
I have a 2020 Kawasaki KX250 that is seemingly leaking oil from the valve cover on the left side.
The thing is, the bike has only 18 hours on it, and it seems to only happen when it starts to get hot out.

This bike did have a recall with the valve seals, or cover, can't really remember which off the top of my head, but it did have this service done. The dealer that did it is pretty reputable, too.

I have a 1.8 tusk rad cap that shows the temperature as well, and according to that the bike was far in the red zone. So, could the bike just be getting too hot? Someone I know suggested maybe the trans vent hose is clogged up? Maybe this, and new radiator fluid?

Let me know your thoughts guys.

Also, oil change every 5~7½ hours with new filter, new air filter almost every ride, and the manual followed.

|
murph783
9/26/2021 7:39am
I mean if it’s getting that hot, it could certainly contribute. Maybe pull the cover, clean everything, and put a little yamabond or some sort of rtv on the two areas of the gasket where it drops down around the cams. I’ve always made a habit of doing that even though it shouldn’t really be necessary
40acres
9/26/2021 11:06am
As Murph stated... remove valve cover, clean mating surface under the half circles on head and put a thin layer of yamabond or black RTV silicon and reinstall gasket cover. I'm sure it even calls for that in the service manual and there's a possibility the tech missed it during the install. Could also be a faulty gasket all together, but doubtful.
Timo
9/27/2021 8:35am
How far in the RedZone was that cap reading?
CR92
9/27/2021 1:20pm
Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll take a look at it, and probably get some rtv.
Timo, it was reading pretty dang high, around 350.
Any thoughts?

The Shop

CR92
10/2/2021 7:07am
So, I appreciate all the help guys. I think I may have found out what the problem was.
Last time I checked my radiator fluid was about 3-4 rides ago, and I've never worried enough about it to be really thorough about checking it. Because the bike is brand new, I've just basically shook it and listened for sloshing from the radiator.
With the high temp I decided to change the radiator fluid out with some engine ice. When we were changing it out very little actually came out, and at first we thought it was oil because of how thick, brown, and nasty it was. It definitely wasn't oil, but it was in very very bad shape.
Do you guys think it was just never filled all the way from the dealer? Could the bike have lost a ton whole riding in the heat?
I haven't torn anything down yet, but everything on the bike seems to be in working order still, not a single noise or anything out of place.

Before I get any pitchforks, I realize that it was a mistake to trust that everything was fine just because it was a new bike, without really inspecting everything, outside of normal maintenance. That's something I won't be doing again.

How concerned should I be about the bike though? Again, haven't torn anything down.
murph783
10/2/2021 8:53am
I mean they should have checked it at the dealership, but it wouldn’t surprise me all that they forgot. Douche it out with water and fill er with engine ice and see how it runs temp wise
40acres
10/2/2021 11:15am
Coolant shouldn't be brown. Are you sure there's no cross contamination with oil in the coolant/coolant in the oil? I'd be concerned about that first and foremost. I'd also double check cam lobes when that valve cover is off if the engine was running that hot.
CR92
10/2/2021 4:38pm
So, changed it all out and went riding today. The bike rode like a dream. Literally was just that simple.
There was very little coolant in the bike and it was toasty. I also did an oil change and it was fine, shockingly.
So, as far as I know, or at least so far, we're good lol.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
10/4/2021 7:08am
If the coolant stays clean looking, you might be in the clear. If it gets dirty/oily again, you may have blown the head gasket with all that overheating. Keep checking it every ride.
CR92
10/4/2021 7:37am
FGR01 wrote:
If the coolant stays clean looking, you might be in the clear. If it gets dirty/oily again, you may have blown the head gasket with all...
If the coolant stays clean looking, you might be in the clear. If it gets dirty/oily again, you may have blown the head gasket with all that overheating. Keep checking it every ride.
That's the plan, and hope. From here on out I'm gonna be checking it meticulously. I'll also be doubling up on oil changes for a while.

Here's hoping that I caught it in time 🤞

Post a reply to: 2020 Kawasaki KX250 leaking oil from the valve cover.

The Latest