2020-2021 Yamaha YZ450F --- Maps you've developed or found that you like?

Rider 5280
Edited Date/Time 6/26/2021 5:03pm
It's time to get out and do some riding!

I'm new to the 2020-2021 Yamaha YZ450F scene and am just getting my feet wet with changing power maps.

Do you have any maps you highly recommend that you've either found or developed yourself?

I'd love to hear it all if you'd like to share with this newbie!

Lastly, note that I have loaded all of the maps posted on the Yamaha Power Tuner App site into my phone (TP5, TP3, Magic Map, etc.):
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motocross/pages/yamaha-power-tuner-sm…
|
5/11/2021 9:07pm
I'm also new to the '21 YZ 450. Coming from a '11 Husaberg 450 Enduro with the slanted engine the Yamaha got a lot more initial hit so I tamed her down to get used to the bike.
Rider 5280
5/12/2021 4:25pm
Thanks headlightracer, I will give that map a try.

This is great - keep the feedback coming guys!
chump6784
5/14/2021 3:08pm
I've gone back to the stock map at the moment. I've just come off riding 250 2 strokes for years so I like an initial snap when I crack the throttle.
To me the other maps take that snap away so in corners I apply the throttle but when not much happens I give it more throttle which then lifts the front wheel out of the rut. I also find that they seem to add too much traction and mid range resulting in the bike wanting to wheelstand. I feel the stock map gets me out of corners quicker with a smoother pull down the straights, the TP maps are softer off the corners but pull better in the mid and top but by the end of the straight it feels like I'm going the same speed. The only other map I'm liking so far is the hard hitting map that comes installed on the app, not the one on the website.

I must say, I reluctantly went to the 4 stroke but this bike is awesome. I got really comfortable straight away, suspension is awesome and the motor pulls hard
5/14/2021 8:50pm
chump6784 wrote:
I've gone back to the stock map at the moment. I've just come off riding 250 2 strokes for years so I like an initial snap...
I've gone back to the stock map at the moment. I've just come off riding 250 2 strokes for years so I like an initial snap when I crack the throttle.
To me the other maps take that snap away so in corners I apply the throttle but when not much happens I give it more throttle which then lifts the front wheel out of the rut. I also find that they seem to add too much traction and mid range resulting in the bike wanting to wheelstand. I feel the stock map gets me out of corners quicker with a smoother pull down the straights, the TP maps are softer off the corners but pull better in the mid and top but by the end of the straight it feels like I'm going the same speed. The only other map I'm liking so far is the hard hitting map that comes installed on the app, not the one on the website.

I must say, I reluctantly went to the 4 stroke but this bike is awesome. I got really comfortable straight away, suspension is awesome and the motor pulls hard
It was also my impression that the stock map has the most hit and the TP Maps take it a little bit away. In generell I'm also really impressed by the bike. After braking it in I'm starting to get comfy. The power is awesome, the suspension is so good in stock trim and I really like how the big blue pig corners. Stable and precise as f...
After 10 years on my Husaberg this bike brought back the excitement of riding to me.

The Shop

chump6784
6/26/2021 12:30am
Ok so I've made up a new map and for me this is perfect. Stock the throttle response is very abrupt at initial throttle openings which can unsettle the bike when applying the throttle in corners and it's also tiring. The TP maps took this away and then seemed to add mid and top. For me they took too much away from the bottom and then the added mid just made the bike want to wheelstand down the straights.
This new map takes a bit of the snap away initially and then behaves like stock because it is. I just got racing with this map today and couldn't believe how much earlier I could get on the gas and I could be aggressive with the throttle and the bike just hooked up.

Moto520
6/26/2021 8:26am Edited Date/Time 6/26/2021 8:27am
I’m gonna try that Chump. That minor change might be perfect. What does the tuner call the stock map?
Rider 5280
6/26/2021 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2021 12:12pm
Woot woot - thanks Chump6784!

FWIW: I rode 4 maps yesterday on Colorado mountain single-track and the best was Magic Map on Yamaha's site. I also like snap for getting over roots instantly and it works great for that plus revs out seamlessly. Worth a try.

Here are my other map notes:
(1) TP5 = smooth, but lacks crispness and zippiness of Magic Map
(2) GC Map (good control) = current 2nd fave --- this will be my Map #2 for when I am getting tired
(3) Keefer Spunky Feel with Connection for the 2021 YZ450FX has promise, didn't get enough seat time to judge

Rider 5280
6/26/2021 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2021 12:44pm
Also, in case you guys are looking to play with more maps, here's what I've found so far (I use the names the creators did, FYI):

chump6784
6/26/2021 2:46pm
Moto520 wrote:
I’m gonna try that Chump. That minor change might be perfect. What does the tuner call the stock map?
Stock map is just all 0's.

Bit of a side story here. My 11 year old daughter is my pit crew. Every race I double her from our pit area to the start area. She picks my peg for gate choice, preps my gate or holds my bike while I prep it and then sets my holeshot button. She sits in front of me when I double her and with the stock map it's hard to ride without the back of her head hitting the chin bar on my helmet as the throttle is so touchy. With this map I'm able to stop that happening
Rider 5280
6/26/2021 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2021 5:03pm
AWESOME SHARE!!!
murph783
6/26/2021 4:27pm
I basically just run TP3 98% of the time, the other 2% being TP5. That being said I kinda wanna try this magic map thing now 🤔
Lynch
6/26/2021 5:00pm
I've been playing with a few maps since coming from a YZ250F, been using the magic map for the last 15 or so hours. Best alround map for me
Rider 5280
7/24/2021 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2021 3:14pm
Lynch wrote:
I've been playing with a few maps since coming from a YZ250F, been using the magic map for the last 15 or so hours. Best alround...
I've been playing with a few maps since coming from a YZ250F, been using the magic map for the last 15 or so hours. Best alround map for me
I also have been continuing to try different maps. I always keep the "Magic Map" in as Map1 and swap out the different maps listed above in the Map2 position. This makes for easy comparison to the "current best."

For me, the best maps seem to be (in priority order):
(1) Magic Map --- it has great snap without being too crazy + carries this character all the way through the power band
(2) chump6784's map called "stock minus ignition" --- this ironically feels like the Magic Map (to me), but I do like its low-end snap when the conditions enable it. But the Magic Map seems to be more versatile across the many conditions I encounter where I ride primarily these day.
(3) GC Map (good control)

I'm continuing to experiment and will keep you guys posted if I come up with anything better.

FWIW, my fuel/elevation/engine/intake/exhaust specs are:
(1) I run Shell premium 91-octane pump gas
(2) I ride at ~ 5,000-8,500 feet of elevation in Colorado (local MX tracks + Rampart Range, etc.)
(3) Twin Air Powerflow intake system
(4) Slater Skins airbox cover --- haven't tried yet, quality is better than I thought it would be (7/10 compared to OEM)
(5) DrD/Dubach Racing silencer (for the spark arrestor)
rever452
8/11/2022 3:52pm
been trying for almost 2 years on my 21’ yz450 to figure out how to add maps and do all that stuff through the power tuner app. i’ve read the forums and done what they say every time i try to upload a map the app crashes so i give up. appreciate any help on how it works because it’s pissed me off enough and i’m done trying to mess with it at this point honestly ill just go back to a kawi

Post a reply to: 2020-2021 Yamaha YZ450F --- Maps you've developed or found that you like?

The Latest